To bring my DSLR to Japan or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsuperman-ed

Apr 5, 2009
Hey guys, leaving on a 2 week trip to Japan next week, was just wondering if I should bring my Canon 1000D or my normal Sony PNS.

Read a few articles online like these: http://hubpages.com/hub/The-mistake-of-taking-a-DSLR-with-you-on-vacation that made me have second thoughts about bringing my baby.

Space constraints, worrying about snatch thieves, what else? Perhaps I should bring my PNS and my Fisheye toy camera?

Thoughts and opinions highly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Generally, Japan is a safe place but of course, must still exercise caution...
My personal experiences in Japan have also been trouble free so far...

Who are you going with, will there be time and understanding from your companions to accomodate you taking time to take photos?
What lens do you intend to bring? Maybe can consider a good travel lens covering a wide range if you are concerned about space...

I'll be heading there with my family, and seeing how my dad hates my photographic hobby, prolly not so much time. Besides, I dislike the hassle of taking out my camera in crowded places, yet would dearly love the street shots of Tokyo. I'm at a loss, seriously.
Will bring only my kit lens (if I bring my DSLR along), I think that's enough for me. :)

I think you should. You don't go to Japan everytime.

I went to Japan with my DSLR.

My experience is that one can get his shot in most instance, faster when using DSLR than those using PnS. Presence of external flash allows better throwing distance and fill-flash ability for most situations.

Downside is the larger DSLR+lens+external flash bulkier and heavier as compared to the compact PnS. :)

Would you be shooting a lot at night? If not, I think the P&S might do.

But alternatively, just the 1000D and kit lens is good too. Don't bring too much. Enough to do the job of taking photos. :D

You don't have to bring the bag/case along. I leave it in the hotel and just sling the cam.

Define your main topics during the trip. If "taking pictures at your own convenience" is not among the top 5 then leave it at home. But a dedicated photographic trip without DSLR seems isn't really one, right?

You should bring your DSLR. Japan is a safe place. When I was there, the retirees there were carrying better cameras and lenses than my 40D+17-55 f2.8 IS. Saw a few using pro level cameras with >300mm prime lenses for birding.

I would suggest carrying your gear in a backpack for ease of carrying so that you don't get sore shoulders and spoil your holiday.

That being said, you should consider the P&S if
- You are not familiar with your camera
- You only shoot in auto mode or program mode (in which case, the P&S would do just as well)
- The weight of your gear is too much for you to carry whole day
- You don't like carrying an extra bag, and prefer to just slip the P&S in your pocket

Have fun. Japan is a nice place :)

I love your advice, it really got me thinking. I am familiar with my camera already, though I only shoot on P mode on it. And yeah, I dislike carrying on extra bag, after all it's a holiday and I wanna enjoy myself. I'm still deciding, keep those opinions coming :)

But a dedicated photographic trip without DSLR seems isn't really one, right?

I'll bring my DSLR if I were you. I lugged my camera, flash, 2 lenses & tripod whenever i go for a holidays. Don't want to miss out on the shots coz some places you only go once. With some practice, you'll get use to lugging them around. Its Japan & not your home market. ;) So start going to the gym now ;p

i'd definitely take it.. i think japan is pretty safe - went there a couple of years back though.. wish i had my dslr then.. wouldve taken many pics..

yes, check my signature :p

I cannot understand why wouldn't you. For the matter, anyone who have invested in a camera - DSLR or otherwise - would have hesitation to bring the tool of their hobby/passion because of some reported incidents? I have brought my SLR camera and shoot on the street of Tijuana, the Mexican town bordering California and to shoot the squatters in Bangkok and Manila. OK, then I was young and stupid. Accidents happen on the road every day and we still drive, don't we? Let's not enslave yourself to the camera. Go forth and enjoy your hobby. Nevertheless, be street wise and aware of your environment. Enjoy.

What is the point u own a dslr and leave it at home...
Like that u shouldn't buy a dslr and save up the money for other use..
Am I right.... !?!?!?:dunno:

We are talking abt Japan here, one of the safest place to travel, being there with a P/S some yrs bk and it's so freaking common ppl over there carries a DSLR. They are all over the streets.. So set ur mind at ease~ Nonetheless be alert and dun leave ur valuables unguarded as there's no assurance in life..What matter most, enjoy ur holidays..

P.s. i brought my gear to thailand, china, vietnam and gg to do so in my upcoming trip to States. i m not worried, why should u :)

Last edited:
TS, your nickname has 'superman' in it... :confused:

just bring it, how can you go to japan and not bring your camera?
keep your equipment list small and light

or just sling your camera and enjoy yourself, remember to post your shots when you get back

Bring the DSLR with you or regard buying it.
Just tell yourself: "since i have taken so much trouble to book this trip and to travel so far to Japan, why not take nice photo with my super DSLR!"

I'll be heading there with my family, and seeing how my dad hates my photographic hobby, prolly not so much time. Besides, I dislike the hassle of taking out my camera in crowded places, yet would dearly love the street shots of Tokyo. I'm at a loss, seriously.
Will bring only my kit lens (if I bring my DSLR along), I think that's enough for me. :)

Yes DSLR with kit lens is suffice. More imptly photograph wherever you are and not be shy to use it. You have travelled so far, why not capture as many shots as possible?
Enjoy yourself..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.