To be seen as a professional photographer......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yezrah

Jan 18, 2004
Sembawang
heaveartma.spaces.live.com
Rule no. 1: Always claim there is something to shoot in Singapore. (No matter how much you think there is nothing to shoot or can't produce any good pictures about Singapore)

Rule no. 2: Always claim that you can shoot with any camera, including pinhole camera. (Even though you may be a diehard nikon or canon user or better still, a mamiya or hasselbald user or the best, a sinar user with valeo or phase one digital back)

Rule no. 3: Never join a group of shooters during a model shoot or to be seen at public events shooting for free. (These pictures are always regarded as 'snapshots' and highly despised by true professionals who look through your portfolio)

Rule no. 4: Shoot close. (Never fails or at least, never get scolded for not shooting close enough)

Rule no. 5: Wear a photographer's vest and carry a big lens around. (Never fails also. But best is to wear an appropriate name tag to pass off as official photograher)

Last rule: Always tell others there are no rules in photography.

;p

Rule no. 1: oops still got things to shoots

Rule no. 2: i'm stupid, throw me a pro digicam and i be stumped!

Rule no. 3: hahaha!

Rule no. 4: oops my style

Rule no. 5: no way man!

Last rule: hahaha!

Professsional Need not rules to follow, but to remember at all times that they should conduct themselves appropreaitely when attending events and functions or any other shoot.

Correct use of equipment, know when and how to use it when its appropreaite.

(Theres still people out there who use PnS and still call themselves Professionals, so what are you going to do about them ??)

Constant communication with the Hirer and make sure that your subjects are comfortable with your presense.

=]

to be seen as a professional photographer...

only a pro can get away with (a) an overexposed shot and people will praise it as high-key, (b) an underexposed shot and people will praise it as low-key or mood shot, or (c) a blurred shot and people will praise it as either a soft-focused pic or lomo-effect pic... and all these are generally called x-factored pics.

if u are a hobbist, any kind of these pics will get u condemned by pros to hell and beyond for lack of technique, skill, equipment etc...

funny world we live in, isn't it? :rolleyes:

'Professional' photographers out there are people that I meet everyday who can be quite a pain in the ass because they always have this 'been-there-done-that' attitude towards any job given. Most of them dont listen to me I guess even after given a full-brief. Most of the time the pictures turn out totally different from the brief. This is what they call initiative and creativity. I call it ignorance and cocky. Something always goes wrong whenever photographers call themselves 'professional'.

In short, you don't want to be seen as a professional photographer here when you're working with me. I will hate you most of the time because most of them pretend to listen.

So I my take on being a professional photographer is that it doesnt give that person special rights to be an ass.

Ameteurs are so much easier to work with though my only worry is that they might not give much quality work as compared to the 'professionals'. So far I've seen a lot of really good ameteurs photographers here, in CS especially.

You dont need to have that crap 'professional' brand if it doesnt help you get the job done afterall.

Cheers!

hazmee said:
'Professional' photographers out there are people that I meet everyday who can be quite a pain in the ass because they always have this 'been-there-done-that' attitude towards any job given. Most of them dont listen to me I guess even after given a full-brief. Most of the time the pictures turn out totally different from the brief. This is what they call initiative and creativity. I call it ignorance and cocky. Something always goes wrong whenever photographers call themselves 'professional'.

In short, you don't want to be seen as a professional photographer here when you're working with me. I will hate you most of the time because most of them pretend to listen.

So I my take on being a professional photographer is that it doesnt give that person some special rights to be an ass.

Ameteurs are so much easier to work with though my only worry is that they might not give much quality work as compared to the 'professionals'. So far I've seen a lot of really good ameteurs photographers here, in CS especially.

You dont need to have that crap 'professional' brand if it doesnt help you get the done afterall.

Cheers!

you must be more careful with your quotes, there are full-timers which may find ur quote rather insulting..

'Professional' simply means making a living out of photography. It doesn't mean you have to be that damme good. Neither are there rules that one should follow.

Being professional in your working attitude, spirit and most importantly in your works, is far more important than hanging the 'I Am A Professional Photographer' tag around your neck.

hazmee said:

So I my take on being a professional photographer is that it doesnt give that person some special rights to be an ass.

You dont need to have that crap 'professional' brand if it doesnt help you get the done afterall.

Cheers!

gosh..who are these people you have been working with?

imho, these people are better off being fine arts photographers than commercial photographers.

This is not a thread meant to make fun of anybody. Just a reflection of what I have observed over the years. What hazmee said is quite true but at the same time, people like designers, art directors or creative designers will be the ones who answer to clients about the final image.

Yezrah said:
This is not a thread meant to make fun of anybody. Just a reflection of what I have observed over the years. What hazmee said is quite true but at the same time, people like designers, art directors or creative designers will be the ones who answer to clients about the final image.

That is if you are referring to commerical (advertising) photography. And maybe editorial.

nightwolf75 said:

only a pro can get away with (a) an overexposed shot and people will praise it as high-key, (b) an underexposed shot and people will praise it as low-key or mood shot, or (c) a blurred shot and people will praise it as either a soft-focused pic or lomo-effect pic... and all these are generally called x-factored pics.

if u are a hobbist, any kind of these pics will get u condemned by pros to hell and beyond for lack of technique, skill, equipment etc...

I'd like to add: to me, a professional shot is not complimented by the pros, but well like by the general public. Sometimes, a pro will look at it in different perspectives. The general public look at it in a more direct way. As long as that shot is well liked by the general public, I'll consider it a pro shot.

Yezrah said:
Last rule: Always tell others there are no rules in photography.

;p
I like the last one :)

nightwolf75 said:

it's the halo effect bro...

I never tell people I'm a professional photographer....

I always say "Full-time Photographer"... Then let one's attitude, actions and pictures speak for themselves! :)

glennyong said:
Theres still people out there who use PnS and still call themselves Professionals, so what are you going to do about them ??

I think we call them PnS Professionals and accord them with the same respect and reverence we give to a 9-year old kid using his father's oversized DSLR.

kweehonjin said:
I never tell people I'm a professional photographer....

I always say "Full-time Photographer"... Then let one's attitude, actions and pictures speak for themselves! :)

I never tell people I am a professional photographer too.

I'll tell them I'm a "Work-by-day, shoot-by-night non-professional wannabe, follower not trendsetter, I-can-also-shoot-type part-timer, auto-everything digital pretender, Photoshop half-baked expert, weekend dabbler and I-hope-of-doing-it-in-NY dreamer". And quietly let the craps I shoot speak for themselves.

Just look down on everybody's shots and not able to take criticism for your own shots, say other people's shots are like Sh!t Sh!t Sh!t.

Status
Not open for further replies.