To all photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.

motionid

Mar 30, 2008
tampines
Hey guys!!!i just wanna know what do u guys do with your unused photos???
do u just save it in your computer?
or do u burn it in a disc?
or you guys delete it?
my computer running out of memory soon!!!!

get an external hdd or burn to dvd.

Get a 3.5" or 2.5" portable HDD,

my 250GB WD 2.5" cost me under $150

COMEX coming too :p

can get a portable HDD pretty cheap there ^^

Hey guys!!!i just wanna know what do u guys do with your unused photos???
do u just save it in your computer?
or do u burn it in a disc?
or you guys delete it?
my computer running out of memory soon!!!!

I just save it in the PC, when I run out of space I'll add another harddisk.

I'd recommend you burn them into dvds and store them safely in a booklet. Harddisks is not a good solution imo because files can always get corrupted or the disk might give way just like that. Optical disks are somewhat permanent if kept and handled safely.

I'd recommend you burn them into dvds and store them safely in a booklet. Harddisks is not a good solution imo because files can always get corrupted or the disk might give way just like that. Optical disks are somewhat permanent if kept and handled safely.

But that brings about the problem of saving as a read-only image file where no later editting can take play unless you upload it back.

DVD's

work on them later and then archive all those re-worked pieces into another DVD.

Shots that I do not want to keep I delete.
Else I burn two copies of DVD and keep them. Only be using one copy for me. :)
I do not have big harddisks btw

Ryan

I seem to remember that dvd and cd's have shelf life less than 10 years, for every how many years they self degrade at a rate. I rather buy 1 terrabyte external harddisk, connect via E-Sata, super fast transfer speed. thats my opinion.

DVDs have a failure rate too. the dye can fade, your optical drive may choose to die on you whilst reading it, etc.

I normally go for multiple redundancies. I burn them onto a DVD and I transfer them onto two external hard disk drives. these hard disk drives get replaced every 3 to 4 years, so as to reduce the risk of mechanical failure. with memory being as cheap as it is right now, it doesn't make sense for me to hang onto the old hard disks and hope for the best.

1TB for <$200 AUD... works out to be cheaper than a life time of pain knowing your precious photographs are down the drain.

I think you should decide whether a pic is worth keeping or not. If not a keeper, then go ahead and delete it and remember not to look back. :sweatsm:

As for me, I've been trying to handle my pics in a redundant way. I use Photoshop Elements to create a catalog and tag the pics. I then make a backup of the catalog from time to time (PSE reminder comes handy on this), backing it up to an NAS device (with an option for RAID 1).

And then, for added sense of security :bsmilie:, I upload the important pics to my flickr pro account. ;)

:Later,

Last edited:
one question ..ussually after shooting and you have decided to post the pic to the web for share ( i.e Clubsnap) .

Do you post a low res pic ( 400 x 600 ) and keep a high res one as keeper???

one question ..ussually after shooting and you have decided to post the pic to the web for share ( i.e Clubsnap) .

Do you post a low res pic ( 400 x 600 ) and keep a high res one as keeper???

why would you not want to keep the high res one as a keeper? :)

my harddisk currently has about almost 30G of pics... trying to find time to transfer them to DVDs.. >.<

HDD ae so cheap now. DVD do not last long. I got one DVD exposed to direct sunlight (on my table and morning sun shines on it) and its not readable now. lucky got backups.

I keep them all on one of my harddrives but inside a DELETE folder. When I run low on space, only then do I start deleting 'em, and only as much as I need to free up a fixed amount of space.

I seem to remember that dvd and cd's have shelf life less than 10 years, for every how many years they self degrade at a rate. I rather buy 1 terrabyte external harddisk, connect via E-Sata, super fast transfer speed. thats my opinion.

At least you know dvd/cd last 10 years. HDD and ext HDD can fail anytime. best is archive to both media. you may not have the latest edited version, but at least you still have some memories.

Buy a new harddisk and save your photos there. I'm also facing the same problem of not having enough disk space. Trying to save my money to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.