To all Olympus 5050 owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRiShnDaisy

Sep 19, 2003
Hi all, I'm finally getting a digital camera for myself and the Olympus 5050 is one of those I'm considering. Since you guys have first-hand experience, can you let me know how satisfied you are with the Olympus 5050 or if you would recommend another brand/ model?

Thanks!!

it's pretty neat...seriously....very versatile..if you want i can show you pictures i took.night and day.the af is pretty spot on.

anyway if you like i'm selling off my c5050z, just a month old with all accessories included. bag, tripod, wide and tele convertors and...the lens adaptor.and of course with warranty.and..less than what the shops are asking.

PM me if you're interested to talk it out. can walk you through the demo.

TRiShnDaisy said:
Hi all, I'm finally getting a digital camera for myself and the Olympus 5050 is one of those I'm considering. Since you guys have first-hand experience, can you let me know how satisfied you are with the Olympus 5050 or if you would recommend another brand/ model?

Thanks!!

Well, I have used the C5050 since it was launched last November and it have been good to me in terms of sharpness and low lighting situation. I find it very versatile in all areas of control from changing ISO to f stop bracketing. The only disappointing part is the lag time on this camera as with most of the prosumer cameras on the market right now. I have bought a Metz flash to compliment it as the one that is in built is only a support flash. I still can live with it and I can safely give a 8/10.

Cheers!
petitebelle :heart:

TRiShnDaisy said:

Thanks!!

The endorsment of 27 satisfied Registered Olympians can't be wrong!!! :D

Been using it for a couple of months now...it had been serving me well...only grumble from me...is the insufficient zoom, the lag time between shots (esp with the NR activated) and lastly the built-in flash. The exposure sometimes at all screwwed up with the flash turned on. Esp when I tweaked the flash rating.

Other than the above 3 items (seriously not a real problem lah)...its a great cam...still no regrets getting it...

Hey everyone, thank you for your very encouraging responses :)

A few of you mentioned the following cons:
1) Lag time - Does this mean it takes a while after taking one shot before the camera is ready for its next? How long? Approximately how many seconds? What's 'NR'?

2) Why is built-in flash problematic? Can elaborate a little more in layman's terms? ;p

Since the C5050Z has been out in the market since Nov 2002, has there been better cameras since?

Hey, since I am a newbie, the 'seniors' can correct me if I am wrong ....

What's 'NR'? - That's noise reduction. More apparent when you use ISO400. The lag (or slow response when NR is on) is a bit of a pain, but still ok for people like me.

TRiShnDaisy said:

1) Lag time - Does this mean it takes a while after taking one shot before the camera is ready for its next? How long? Approximately how many seconds? What's 'NR'?

2) Why is built-in flash problematic? Can elaborate a little more in layman's terms? ;p

Since the C5050Z has been out in the market since Nov 2002, has there been better cameras since?

Well, you r right on the lag time. There isn't any problem on the built in flash except it is not powerful enough to capture indoor shots at low lighting compared to an external flash which gives you ready flash at any moment without compromising on your battery power. It will also cast shadows if you use your built in- flash with some of add on lens.

To answer on your last question, since Nov 2002 there have been some good prosumer cameras in the market, eg CanonG5, Sony DSC717. Technology have been improving since and you can't really catch up with the market. One very good example is makers like Canon, they have the technology but they are not putting everything in one camera and they entice you a little by little coming out with G3 and not long comes the G5. More important aspect is to get something you are comfortable with, considering storage media, battery life, as well as service support.

Hope that will clear some doubt and hope that you are able to make up your mind on your next digital camera!

Cheers!
petitebelle :thumbsup:

HI!
if i add on TCON lens to the olympus. Do you think if there would be any effect if i zoom from 1 to 3x continously? i mean would you see any artifacts ?

TRiShnDaisy said:

Hi
I've been using C3030 since y2000. My wife and myself have been very happy with it. We mostly used the 'all auto' more and the pictures were very good.

Just got a C5050 last week. Found the first few pictures grainy. We were very shocked. Checked the ISO to be 100 or even 64. Took more pictures.
Anyway, asked some friends to help me verify, the camera appears to perform as expected.
Then I read from one magazine that reviewed the Canon G5. The review said that Canon has increased the pixels without matching the increase in sensor size. Thus more pixels crammed into slightly bigger sensor. Thus the effect will be more grainy pictures. There are other side effects such as chromatic aberration and purple fringing. This was confirmed by a camera shop personnel.
So, more pixels may not be better. The sensor size and quality must match it.
Don;t know what to say.
I actually like the new features of C5050, the buttons, dials, tilting screen, etc. The handling is so much better. Many more functions available with using the menu (which was a problem in C3030).
I hope for the next camera, Olympus will address this issue.

Anyone care to comment or point me to a fix?

TRiShnDaisy said:

Thanks!!

FYI 5060 AI LAI LIAO

http://www.dcviews.com/press/Olympus-C-5060.htm

Hey, Olympus is coming out with the 5060 to replace the 5050 sometime in Nov 03. Some of the features are:

1. Extremely fast startup time (3 sec.) and very short shutter release time lag of 0.4 sec. (including AF time in wide angle, focus position from 80cm to infinity)

2. High speed sequence shooting: three frames per second in HQ mode
5.1 megapixels and beautifully designed magnesium body

3. 4x optical zoom (equiv. 27 -110mm, f2.8-4.8)

4. Multi-angle high resolution LCD monitor that can tilt and swivel at 270 degrees

5. Programme, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority and Full Manual mode
6 scene programmes (normal, portrait, night scene, landscape, landscape with portrait, sports)

6. Dual AF system

7. Hot shoe

8. Movie recording function

9. Saves to xD-Picture Card, Compact Flash and Microdrive

10. PictBridge compatible

11. Variety of newly-developed accessories are available, including a direct filter mount and bayonet mount conversion lens system

wave said:
...Then I read from one magazine that reviewed the Canon G5. The review said that Canon has increased the pixels without matching the increase in sensor size. Thus more pixels crammed into slightly bigger sensor. Thus the effect will be more grainy pictures. There are other side effects such as chromatic aberration and purple fringing. This was confirmed by a camera shop personnel.
So, more pixels may not be better. The sensor size and quality must match it.

That's true. And that's the trend for now. So when searching for digicam's data online before buying, don't look only for resolution, but compare CCD's size too between models with the same resolutions. Also download actual sample to see whether it meets your expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.