To all car owners - Never get involved in an accident with a taxi

Jedi

Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
A true story of a car "victim'.

http://therealsingapore.com/content...are-receiving-extraneous-claims-other-victims

If you are the rear vehicle, and the taxi in the front vehicle, then you will be asking for trouble.

Besides the above link, some of my friends and relatives who were involved in a car accident with a taxi were shocked to find out the claim amount against them. It is not just a simple claim on the repair of the taxi vehicle's damages. There are many items which you will be shocked when you received the claim report from your insurance companies. Remember to check with your insurance company on the exact claim amount and what are the items claimed. Many of you think that your insurance companies will take care of all claims and thus didn't bother to find out what exactly are claimed by the claimant.

In eyes of the law, there is nothing much that the driver of the rear vehicle to contest the claim amount unless you have strong evidence to present the case on the front vehicle which is at fault.

Isn't it better not get involved into any accident at all? Not just with taxis... This tactics is well known and not only limited to taxis.
On the other hand: there are indeed injuries (strains and others) that will only show up later, after a period of 24h or more. In the minutes after the accident the patient will not notice anything.
The solution could be to record as much data as possible, especially those data describing the impact (speed, angle) and extend of damage. From this, useful conclusions can be drawn about what the impact on the human body was and whether the claims have any substance or not.

In eyes of the law, there is nothing much that the driver of the rear vehicle to contest the claim amount unless you have strong evidence to present the case on the front vehicle which is at fault.

The importance of getting a drive video recorder.

Isn't there something fishy?
the doctor's report to the lawyer was dated 19/11/14(before the accident took place), whereas the doctor stated that he examined the patient on 11/12/14, 2 days after the accident.

A true story of a car "victim'.

http://therealsingapore.com/content...are-receiving-extraneous-claims-other-victims

If you are the rear vehicle, and the taxi in the front vehicle, then you will be asking for trouble.

Besides the above link, some of my friends and relatives who were involved in a car accident with a taxi were shocked to find out the claim amount against them. It is not just a simple claim on the repair of the taxi vehicle's damages. There are many items which you will be shocked when you received the claim report from your insurance companies. Remember to check with your insurance company on the exact claim amount and what are the items claimed. Many of you think that your insurance companies will take care of all claims and thus didn't bother to find out what exactly are claimed by the claimant.

An in-car forward camera can be had for less than $100. Why some people chose not to have them is beyond me.

I experienced it in the full... a small accident, hitting the passenger side of the cab. no injuries whatsoever. repairs estimated should be in the region of 1k. Ended up claim against me was 47k. finally insurance company settled for 18k. The lawyer the cab driver used is HOH. Friends, adjusters have been telling me HOH is one of the few lawyers cab drivers will go to to pull this BS.

Almost could not renew my insurance because of the open 47k claim against me. But luckily found a way to get insurance cheaper and better. It is also a big game the major insurers are playing, due to lack of insurance regulation.

I experienced it in the full... a small accident, hitting the passenger side of the cab. no injuries whatsoever. repairs estimated should be in the region of 1k. Ended up claim against me was 47k. finally insurance company settled for 18k. The lawyer the cab driver used is HOH. Friends, adjusters have been telling me HOH is one of the few lawyers cab drivers will go to to pull this BS.

Almost could not renew my insurance because of the open 47k claim against me. But luckily found a way to get insurance cheaper and better. It is also a big game the major insurers are playing, due to lack of insurance regulation.

47k/18k? That's like.. You can purchase another car in US or perhaps other countries albeit not a new one.

47k/18k? That's like.. You can purchase another car in US or perhaps other countries albeit not a new one.

Ya. My current SUV I bought for 50k brand new. Taxes and first year comprehensive insurance all included.

Last edited:
It is also a big game the major insurers are playing, due to lack of insurance regulation.
Yeah, a big game of cheating each other over made up numbers.
I remember seeing something from my home country where the claimable amounts for certain injuries are fixed. One would need a lot of serious paperwork to make claims beyond that, e.g. neck strains when the speed was slower than 20km/h. The result: cheating with insurance claims has fallen since and nobody is really scared if an accident happens. It gives assurance.

Yeah, a big game of cheating each other over made up numbers.
I remember seeing something from my home country where the claimable amounts for certain injuries are fixed. One would need a lot of serious paperwork to make claims beyond that, e.g. neck strains when the speed was slower than 20km/h. The result: cheating with insurance claims has fallen since and nobody is really scared if an accident happens. It gives assurance.

SG car insurance scene has already attained USA pre-reuglation era... quite a shame. Especially the ambulance chasers. Threat of legal action is very powerful in SG now, just like USA. Don't need to win. Just threaten to sue and bury the other party in legal costs.

the real singapore is not so real after all, it is for entertainment purpose only, dont take it seriously of the news they reported.

the real singapore is not so real after all, it is for entertainment purpose only, dont take it seriously of the news they reported.

It doesn't matter whether the article is from Real Singapore or other sources.

I already have live examples. Even our Moderator daredevil123 had experienced before.

By the way, do you drive?

It doesn't matter whether the article is from Real Singapore or other sources.

I already have live examples. Even our Moderator daredevil123 had experienced before.

By the way, do you drive?
road bike

Wow so scary I better install a camera in my car :(
Do you guys think a back camera is necessary ?

Depending your heng shuey...I kena once 2 years back...hit the right real lamp of a Toyota Wish Smrt cab...but the uncle quite nice....never claim more than what he needs...we settle privately at workshop with proper paper work provided by the work shop....they replacing the lamp and minor touch up on paint work...of course I have to bear his lost of income.....my car minor dend and dislocated bumper which I fixed my self afterwards....total bill $400...so it's 破财挡灾.....considered lucky everything end there and then :sweat:

Omg this is exactly like my story... 100% align.. For a moment I thought the pic was mine..

But in Sg.. The rich wins.. Manipulative

Omg this is exactly like my story... 100% align.. For a moment I thought the pic was mine..

But in Sg.. The rich wins.. Manipulative

Har? Taxi drivers in SG rich?

I was hit by a cab from behind and he was hit by another cab when we both stop at a Traffic light. Very clearly the 1st cab was at fault and according to to cab driver behind me, he saw him texting when the accident happen.

Looking at the situation, I decided it is an insurance claim situation. No. Eed for further discussion to avoid any unnecessary confrontation. I took many photos. That is one good thing of learning g photography.

After we. Exchange particulars, we went our separate ways. The cab driver er that hit me, call the next day. He offered settlement as he was advised that since he hit from behind, he is at fault although it was due to the impact of the other cab. I rejected and advised him to lodge a report and I will be his witness if required. I don't wish to mess around with these people. I got my claim but did not hear further from both.

I think going factaul is best option Unless it is minor and you.can settle there and then. But you never know if the other party will play you from behind.

I was hit by a cab from behind and he was hit by another cab when we both stop at a Traffic light. Very clearly the 1st cab was at fault and according to to cab driver behind me, he saw him texting when the accident happen.

Looking at the situation, I decided it is an insurance claim situation. No. Eed for further discussion to avoid any unnecessary confrontation. I took many photos. That is one good thing of learning g photography.

After we. Exchange particulars, we went our separate ways. The cab driver er that hit me, call the next day. He offered settlement as he was advised that since he hit from behind, he is at fault although it was due to the impact of the other cab. I rejected and advised him to lodge a report and I will be his witness if required. I don't wish to mess around with these people. I got my claim but did not hear further from both.

I think going factaul is best option Unless it is minor and you.can settle there and then. But you never know if the other party will play you from behind.

You are lucky because you were the first vehicle. The 2 cabs were second and last cars respectively. There was no way for any of them to claim against you. In Singapore, most of the time the first vehicle is not liable for any claim unless special situations.