To all C40Z Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qhelix

I've been using this camera for quite sometime, but never really made the most of its features. I'd just like to know what are the settings you guys normally use, and what about night shots taken without using tripods? It'll be great if you could post some sample pictures as well as the settings you used. My night shots taken usually end up blurred, guess it's because I couldn't keep my hand steady enough.

High f-stop, >1sec shutter. Of course the tripod and remote control is a must. There is no point in taking night shots without a tripod.

Night Shots

tripod is useful but if you could find a good rest, long exposure night shots are also possible.

besides the remote control. using the self timer could minimise the effects of any shaking.

when the camera is small, there's tendency to minimise the amount of accessories to carry around ;p

Well, guess I'm outta luck. Can't imagine bringing a tripod inside my sling bag wherever I go.

BTW, when they say a camera has a faster lens than another camera, are they referring to the shutter speed or is it something else?

Also, I'd like to know more about this spot metering function. How does it work and when should I use it? Tried reading the manual, but I'm still not very sure about what it does.

Originally posted by qhelix
Well, guess I'm outta luck. Can't imagine bringing a tripod inside my sling bag wherever I go.

BTW, when they say a camera has a faster lens than another camera, are they referring to the shutter speed or is it something else?

Also, I'd like to know more about this spot metering function. How does it work and when should I use it? Tried reading the manual, but I'm still not very sure about what it does.

if u dont like tripods, then follow mpenza and find a rest. hopefully its not slanted and is of the right height. i'm sure u'll get frustrated in no time. there are some tripods which are quite small and handy enough to carry. also i don't think u'll be taking night shots all the time so u don't have to carry it all the time.

fast lens means f-stop is around 1.x-2.x so its f-stop. slow lens would be 3.x and above. so if u see a f2.8 zoom lens, it means u can take a shot at max zoom at f2.8. if u see a f3.5-f5 zoom, then it means that the minimum f-stop ranges between 3.5-5 as u zoom to the max. fast lenses are expensive. they are also bigger and heavier.

a fast lens can allow more light to go in at high zooms so u can take a zoomed in shot at fast shutter speed. for digital cameras i seldom see this term used except for the F1.8 Oly 4040.

so thats why u see humongous looking zoom lenses used by sports photographers. Those monsters must be fast!

Spot metering means the camera takes the area at the center and meters the shot based on that area alone. So use this when taking macro shots like insects at botanical gardens.

Center-weighted metering means the whole image is metered but center is give added weightage. This is the default.

Matrix metering is where the scene is divided into areas. And each area is metered individually. Does ur camera have this?

I don't think so. All I can see is spot metering on my C40, but then again I could be wrong.

Regarding the speed of the lens, can I assume I'll get a better exposure if I don't use the zoom?

I don't think so. All I can see is spot metering on my C40, but then again I could be wrong.

Regarding the speed of the lens, can I assume I'll get a better exposure if I don't use the zoom?

If its optical zoom and its a day shot then ur zoomed shots will look good. so depends. if u're talking abt zooming at night or in low light conditions then of course the shot wont be so good.

This guy took some great shots with c40z

Can u take some shots and post it somewhere. Your camera seems to be pretty good. If only mine had 4megapixels.... :-(

I'd like to post some pictures, but I don't really know how to go about doing that. I'm kinda new to this forum after all.
=)
Are there any specific types of pictures you're interested in?

I'd like to post some pictures, but I don't really know how to go about doing that. I'm kinda new to this forum after all.
=)

Sure...u can use the "IMG" button to insert a link to ur pix.

=)

Get a free website account like tripod asia. Don't get angelfire cos they don't allow linking images. Only priviledged members can get freespace on this website. sad...

=)

You can start with your nightshots...

Why? Don't you think it's a nice car?
=P

Status
Not open for further replies.