TNP: Police report for online flames!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AReality said:
And now she complained that the foto in the paper looks ugly..
How to judge if a person is pretty or ugly?

i think she better dun come clubsnap to ask for TFCD, cos she will blame every single photographers here that we take her ugly pic...

anyway... truth is, she ain't pretty to start with...

pai said:
hehe, his picture not very difficult to find what... dun bully small boy lah...

anyway, flame story i haven't seen it on tnp website yet... for now, entertain ourselves with this?

http://tnp.sg/mnt/html/canon/

wah i read wedding 1 liao, i can a professional wedding photographer liao... yeah!, ok, do i need to buy a Canon camera? :devil: 1DsMkII

i like the title for the last one: so you want to shoot children?

time to switch brand liao... i switch to my canon.... a95 :lovegrin:

G-man said:
Obviously satay boy here hasn't felt the full wrath of EDMW. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
These dayz EDMW's out of steam with the absence of *ahem*. ;)

Try Sammyboy's Alfresco for a sadistic whammy like a steam roller going over u.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
we are the casualties of satay's joke... lets just face it, we kena pwn3d by a JC boy and its not like 1 get pwn3d, its like... hmm where's that thread...

eh y not we all change our sig to...

Pwn3d by Satay? Revive the thread...

then later i go start a thread and everybody list their name down... ;p

Settle this score the army way... BLANKET PARTY!!!! :devil:

Hobbesyeo said:
Settle this score the army way... BLANKET PARTY!!!! :devil:

i dun mind... who organise? i dun even mind paying 20 bucks to do this... eh somebody go post this in model shoot forum for BLANKET PARTY sHOOT... :devil:

This satay really asking to be toasted yah... haha lose arguements and go delete thread twice. Claim that 3 to 4 people demand he do so... haha.. lamer....

Now come out with big words and extracts...... sigh... kids nowadays

Anyway to the TNP story, only read it this morning. Haha it's so damn lame man this woman!! haha

If you get accused of murder, okay I would say you have right to be distress
If you get accused of throwing your parents out of house, again I concur you are distress
If you are acussed of being a Israelite Spy when your address is No 1 Hezbollah Ave, then I think you better pack your bags or say your prayers!!

But this lady? In responses to photos that were doctored to make her look fat, she says "I was worried some one would come to me and laugh, saying I look like a ghost, I look hideous."

how lame can you get.....

The complete story.

Ref: The New Paper
Flamed
For voicing pro-govt views in online forum
They call her fat and doctor pictures to turn her into a ghost
By Shree Ann Mathavan
August 18, 2006

SHE WAS called fat, with 'almost no chin'.

Her picture from her online album was doctored to make her look like a ghost and the Chinese hermaphrodite Dong Fang Bu Bai, a famous character in Chinese movie history.

A picture of a horse was uploaded on the forum insinuating that she looked like one.

One caption under a picture which depicted her as a ghost went like this: 'Yes. I am to star in X-men 3 (the movie) as Juggernaut. And I have three eyes, four mouths and five tits.'

Ms April Teo, 27, had to suffer all these and more.

Why?
Because she dared to give an opposing opinion in an online forum.

Some forum members had criticised the Government, but she disagreed and voiced her support.

As a result, she thinks that some members of that particular forum community turned on her.

In Netspeak, this abuse is called flaming.

It happened early this month, and stopped only after she made a police report.

Some members of the forum also managed to download photos from her online photo album and digitally alter them.

Members also made mean remarks based on these pictures.

UPSET AND ANGRY

She was traumatised.

Said the unemployed Ms Teo: 'I was very upset and angry. I cried and I could not really sleep for a week. I don't personally know them, so I don't understand why they would do this.'

Although the hurtful posts were online for just three days, she feared people might ridicule her after seeing the postings and doctored images.

She said: 'I was worried someone would come up to me and laugh, saying I look like a ghost, that I'm hideous.'

She is looking into pursuing a civil suit on the hurtful remarks made.

Online bullies seem to have made their mark once again.

While some may think these comments are harmless, a recent case in South Korea gives an indication of how much harm they can cause a victim if unchecked.

In Seoul, Kim Myong Jae, 30, an accountant, became public enemy number one on the Internet after his girlfriend was found dead from food poisoning.

He faced thousands of ugly online rumours saying that he pushed her to commit suicide. (See other report)

However, those making such comments online can be sued for defamation and criminal intimidation.

Mr Kim's case may be extreme, but as Ms Teo's case shows, it happens here as well.

Take Singapore blogger Xiaxue (aka Wendy Cheng).

Her online views on everything from handicapped toilets to Kuala Lumpur resulted in scathing remarks from various readers.

Or blogger Dawn Yeo, who was alleged to have had extensive plastic surgery.

Justified or not, harsh comments and name-calling flew in fast and furious.

Bloggers who posted derogatory remarks online about another race were penalised with more then harsh words.

Last October, two Singapore men who made racist remarks online were given landmark jail sentences under the Sedition Act.

One was given a jail sentence of a day and a fine of $5,000, while the other was jailed for a month.

HOW IT ALL STARTED
Ms Teo had been a participant on web forums for four years.

Until recently, she had not encountered any problems with this particular website, where she has been a member since last year.

She became active in the past one or two months as she was recovering from surgery to remove cartilage from her chest.

The offending remarks and photos were posted on 8 Aug.

She claimed she had sent two messages to the moderator to remove the posts but no action was taken.

On 10 Aug, she made a police report and the postings were removed almost immediately.

Ms Teo said that wile online forums may not accept responsibility for postings, she feels there should be tighter controls nevertheless.

The posts may be gone, but Ms Teo is intent on pursuing the matter.

She said: 'Yes, there needs to be freedom of speech, but not at someone else's expense.

'I think personally attacking someone and victimising them just so that others can be entertained is not right.'

She added: 'I may be registered as a member on this site, but that doesn't mean people can simply post anything.

'It's just like if you go to a shopping centre, you don't expect to be robbed, do you? It's the same thing.'

She will be seeing her lawyer later this week to see if she can seek any redress.

Mr Samuel Lee, 34, an entertainment and media lawyer, said the images and posts in such an instance have to be looked at in its entirety.

He said: 'Do the doctored pictures have any innuendo? Do they harm a reputation? Also if they took her pictures without her permission, that is an infringement of copyright.'

However, he qualified: 'But simply saying she's ugly does not go towards her character.'

Mr Jonathan Kok, 43, partner at Harry Elias Partnership, said Ms Teo and others in similar situations could have a case for both copyright infringement and defamation.

He said while in such cases civil suits can be filed against the person who posted the comments online, there could also be a case made against the online host.

It's a bitter lesson learnt, said Ms Teo. She will be more careful with her online dealings from now on. She has since password-protected her online photo album and blog to restrict access.

She also does not intend to do any more postings on this forum.

Online assault costs him job and home
THIS case reads like a nightmare.

First, Mr Kim Myong Jae's estranged girlfriend died in April last year in Seoul, six days after poisoning herself.

Then, the 30-year-old accountant had to deal with a whole slew of vicious comments and death threats spread through web portals and blogs.

His case, which was reported in the International Herald Tribune (IHT) on Monday, took online bullying to new heights.

In a flash, his name, address, photos and phone numbers entered the public domain by being made freely available on the Internet.

Rumours spread fast that he had forced his girlfriend to abort his child and that he had attacked both her and her mother. The attacks did not just stay online.

He quit his job after alleged attackers made phone calls to his employer, a food and beverage company, to fire him or face a boycott of its products.

QUIT SCHOOL
Online web-users also flooded his university website - he had been taking night classes - with so many angry e-mails that he dropped out.

He told the IHT that he had to move house and was scared to dine out and use public transport.

In his own words, he was 'a fugitive'.

The police investigated the online allegations against him, but did not find any evidence to substantiate them.

HOWEVER, according to an insider story, this is the other side of the story...
i happen to know which forum this report is based on because i saw the thread and knew the incidents leading up to the thread with the doctored pics. the thing is, TNP had a one-sided and biased report on this incident simply because the lady cried wolf first. here's a summarized version of what happened

this lady is a much hated figure in the forum. nothing to do with pro-gov or not. she has an elitist attitude and basically likes to verbally insult ppl going into the forum via either threads or the chat module. because this is a friend-finder kind of site, there are ppl who post their pics up ala friendster. she'd stay online all day and calling ppl "ugly" and "fat" and implying that ugly ppl have no purpose in the forum (or in the world but don't quote me on this). she'd complain that there'r no handsome guys for her to sian and whenever a guy would to try to talk to her in the chat she'll laugh and ridicule their photo. she actually have a photo site where she doctored photo of ppl in this forum for her own amusement. this site is PUBLIC. it came to a point where ppl were constantly arguing with her. and i think she even enjoys the attention since she's extremely proud of her verbose skills and powderful england. apparently her overseas undergraduate studies in UK made her a pompous being.

ok so you know what she is like. generally ppl who know what she is avoid her. arguing on the internet is just dumb. you can't win no matter what rite? but she enjoys the odd verbal jousting with newbies who come on only to be morally insulted. one fine day, she crossed the line and started calling this newcomer "act innocent", "trying to act goody to win guy's sympathy".. that kind of thing, but dun quote me on it cuz i can't really remember the exact words she said. could be even worse. apparently, this gal has some physical problems and because of this has had past relationship issues.. even has suicide tendencies in the past. a few forumers who knew abt this turned against her. there were lots of "shouting" in the chat everytime she's on. and personally i feel she basks in all these attention. her favorite phrase is "mei you ren pei wo wan?" (no one want to play with me?).

ok on to this doctored picture thread. out of all these quarrels on the forum, someone actually challenged to put up a doctored picture of her. i do not remember the details leading to this but i do know she actually laughed at the idea. could be due to the fact that she likes to doctor other ppl's pic? who knows. but one thing's clear. it WAS NOT DONE WITHOUT HER CONSENT. even after the pictures were posted on the forum under the pretense that it's a fan club thread meant as a joke she even came on and claimed proudly that ppl actually idolizes her. i'm not sure if the mods did anything immediately but i am sure one of them did ask her if she was alright with the pictures. my guess is her ego told her to say yes. few days later the thread was deleted. and this report came up on the TNP.

attention seeking? you bet.

So, who's right? Who's wrong? Decide for urself. There's always 2 sides to a coin, I'm not saying to trust/distrust the papers completely though.

Applause applause!!! Well done!!! The story has taken another twist!! Camping to see developments!

Well, as of all tabloids, the buck apparently stops once it hits the print regardless of whatever 'insider stories' or 'alternative viewpoints' there might be.

Unfortunately, IF the insider story really holds water, it makes me wonder abt how the papers does their own version of 'investigative journalism'.

jsbn said:
Well, as of all tabloids, the buck apparently stops once it hits the print regardless of whatever 'insider stories' or 'alternative viewpoints' there might be.

Unfortunately, IF the insider story really holds water, it makes me wonder abt how the papers does their own version of 'investigative journalism'.

unless we have ppl who do it for passion and watever... otherwise, u'll see it stop here or ppl just report to the ST forums...

I guess she's not ready for the internet yet :bigeyes:

Imagine this... if the insider have proof and the story made it to TNP.... fun sia.... good entertainment value.... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Robert said:
I guess she's not ready for the internet yet :bigeyes:

i agree, she's still a big immature kid

Looks like she has a bit of a personality problem.....probably of low self esteem.

Kenny

jsbn said:
HOWEVER, according to an insider story, this is the other side of the story...
she actually have a photo site where she doctored photo of ppl in this forum for her own amusement. this site is PUBLIC

Anyone knows her photo site?

Kenny

Someone should send the counter-article back to TNP for their further investigative reporting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.