TNP Article on some of our wedding gurus here..

Status
Not open for further replies.
The educational value is doubtful, all it talks about is how expensive these guys are because of the equipment they have.

Finally.....it's long overdue.
We've to arrange more of such coverage to educate the consumer, to appreciate the value and the needs. Well said, well done! :thumbsup:

lol... look on the bride (pun intended) side, they will be saying y spend so much... probably good for those who earn alot and willing to spend...

appreciate value, a very subjective thing...

like to ask 1 question... those 8k photographers hor, u shoot what the client wants, or you shoot what you think the client wants, or you shoot to make your client want?

As the clients is paying good money for their style/vision, most likely the clients will just let them do what they are good at.

lol... look on the bride (pun intended) side, they will be saying y spend so much... probably good for those who earn alot and willing to spend...

appreciate value, a very subjective thing...

like to ask 1 question... those 8k photographers hor, u shoot what the client wants, or you shoot what you think the client wants, or you shoot to make your client want?

I not 8K (heh), but clients should really be hiring for the way you see and shoot the wedding right?

Look at the replies posted, not positive at all.

I agree with Knoxknocks, the couple should be paying you for how you see the wedding happening with your eyes. And other people who have mentioned and said this would be,
Jeff Ascough, Joe buissink, Yervant, Dennis Regis...just to name a few.

Wedding photography has revolutionalized from the age old days where film was used and shot lists were given. These days, couples want more then just that, they want that creative unique look that individual photographers can provide them with. BUT they also want it to be cheaper. And i figured that unless we can have a combined effort(Which is almost impossible) to educate the clients on the moving trend, it would probably be very very tough for the market to move up to the range where we will be able to start charging the rates that our overseas equals are charging.

I feel that, the media, in this case TNP, has done good as it has provided the photographers a say in the moving trend. And more can and should be done in the same way to start moving the trend upwards for everyone in the business.

The wedding photography business is not like the old days where failed fashion photographers move into anymore, in fact it has transended from that to fashion photographers wanting a piece of the pie in wedding photography today. So, all we can do it pretty much hope that in time to come, the clients will be educated to know that, similar to how even bus fares increase, photography, being a "special trade" needs to move as well.

:):):)

Sounds like this person, 'Jossseee' really has something against wedding photographers.

It's a matter of demand and supply. These guys know there is a demand for it that's why they are into it.

If, as the couple, I am rich enough, why not? I'll pay them. And there are many young couples these days who are "showy". They will pay for expensive gowns, want the top hotels, etc etc. Same goes for their photographers. But these people are not rich financially; they are simply spendthrift (want face).

I'm not saying the pics taken by these guys are no good. But they are certainly over-hyped. Over-priced.

I'm speaking from a (non wedding) photographer's point of view:

I think many unknowing couples are "misled" or sucked into this high priced wedding photography here.

To be honest, there are no really experienced photogrpahers here. ok, there is, but perhaps 1 or 2 Big names and they are usually based overseas and shoot celebrities.

Many of these so called pros who charge S$5k or more are photography hobbyists who decided one day they'd rather switch to photography. Why? Obviously, cos there are people here crazy enough to pay them that kind of unjistified big money to shoot their weddings. I can bet you you'll be hard-pressed to find a solid wedding photographer here with more than 10 years of experience and charge $5k or more. (Go ahead, check it out. Of course, they can lie to you but I know what is going on.)

p,.s. Mod, is it OK to quote what someone says publicly? If not, please let me know/amend my post. Thanks.

who want to change line to be a makeup artist?

charge $1000 for two hours works with no "post production"

Actually I would!

In fact, I took up a MU course at Shu Uemera once, but later decided that the line wasn't for me. Yeah, I was young AND stupid!

Look at the MUAs! Some of them chop chop rush 2 or even 3 back-to-back engagements on one weekend day!

Actually I would!

In fact, I took up a MU course at Shu Uemera once, but later decided that the line wasn't for me. Yeah, I was young AND stupid!

Look at the MUAs! Some of them chop chop rush 2 or even 3 back-to-back engagements on one weekend day!
yes, even if you are not a high end makeup artist, you still make more money than most wedding photographers, considering the actual amount of time you are working.

Sounds like this person, 'Jossseee' really has something against wedding photographers.

Same feeling here, sour grapes syndrome... tot to reply the thread there... but heck, what's the use..

If that person thinks that Wedding photography is so "profitable" why isn't he in the trade? ( I assume that he's already a "professional" photographer from the first sentence)

Status
Not open for further replies.