TLR crazy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
LTG said:
Buy a seagull, cheap & good...

I tried seagulls both the 30 year (or older) old plus version and the newer reissues. I decided to keep the old version, a bit heavier but the feel is better.

Rafiz

I've got a Seagull. Can't remember when was the last time I used it tho... Must have been 2-3 years already... I think it's about time I took it out to take some photos. Hope they will still turn out properly.:cool:

jonathan_wong said:
but it is still a better buy than many old Rolleicord Yashicamat in terms of practical usage. The picture quality is very good but not better than the Rolleicord if you are very fussy. Most old cameras might be too old / worn to start with. If you can find a yashica 635 it is good to keep one. Personally I prefer the 107 than the 109. The 107 survived many trips to Liaoning/Minneapolis where temperature can be -50oC. In Singapore, the 107 is good to toss around.

Sorry but you are contradicting yourself in the one paragraph here. First you say "that most old cameras might be too old/worn to start with" in one sentence and then say "If you can find a yashica 635 it is good to keep one."

From my experience, most TLRs of the 50s and 60s are generally built like brick houses/tanks with matching internals to boot. With the exception of the Rolleiflex T with it's use of rubber bands for adjusting the f-stop and aperture readings, most TLRs(whether they are of Jap or German manufacture) are pretty reliable beasts and will outlast any modern camera. Esp Rolleicords.

Most examples you find on Ebay usually only need a CLA (about $80) and are ready to go.

While 80s-current manufacture lever wind Seagulls are based on the late Yashica 124G ( the 4B is based on the knob wind Rolleicord) and sport the same cheap brittle internal gears that will strip very easily leaving you with a paper weight. Late model Yashica 124Gs (not the same as the 124) suffered the same problems.

Find a used but excellent condition Rolleicord/Autocord/Ricoh Diacord/Any Yashica TLR(Except the 124G), Mamiya 220/330(very heavy beasts in comparison the rest) and forget about the Seagulls (they are not worth the money).

have been a user of tlr for quite a long time and I swear by them... Mr Johnathon... tot u want my yashica 635? its still waiting... hehe

over the years, I've collected a double digit number of cords and flexes.... nice to shoot with and its a shame they're being auctioned off for peanuts nowadays...... but for buyers, its superb value for ur money.

Just went for my honeymoon and what I brought is s 3.5f and a fuji 69 rangefinder and hp5 film. nothing else needed.... :)

TLR rulez..... kekeke

lualua said:
have been a user of tlr for quite a long time and I swear by them... Mr Johnathon... tot u want my yashica 635? its still waiting... hehe

over the years, I've collected a double digit number of cords and flexes.... nice to shoot with and its a shame they're being auctioned off for peanuts nowadays...... but for buyers, its superb value for ur money.

Just went for my honeymoon and what I brought is s 3.5f and a fuji 69 rangefinder and hp5 film. nothing else needed.... :)

TLR rulez..... kekeke

On the contrary, I find that Rolleicords and R'flexes seem to hold their value more than the others. There was a dip in prices about a year ago but they seems to be climbing back up again (on Ebay anyway). Hold on to your cords or flexes for a while yet - all is not lost. ;)

Yes I concur TLRs rule!:thumbsup:

I want to know where I can replace the lens element/s (taking lens) of a Rolleiflex TLR 2.8 Planar. I think model E.
Hear there is some one in KL who can repair it.
Any leads?
I also need to buy a new plastic cover for the meter window on the left side of the TLR for a Rolleiflex T, Rolleiflex 3.5F and the above.
And also new bright screens with rangefinder spilt.
Place, Price and Person to contact.

Thanks for your help.

ricohflex said:
I want to know where I can replace the lens element/s (taking lens) of a Rolleiflex TLR 2.8 Planar. I think model E.
Hear there is some one in KL who can repair it.
Any leads?
I also need to buy a new plastic cover for the meter window on the left side of the TLR for a Rolleiflex T, Rolleiflex 3.5F and the above.
And also new bright screens with rangefinder spilt.
Place, Price and Person to contact.

Thanks for your help.

For lens elements, you probably have to buy a junked example and cannabalise the lenses off that. Ebay is a good place to start.

Otherwise, the only person I know that might have spares in Sg is Mr Wong of Fotographix at Lucky Chinatown centre. See him also for Beattie Intenscreens (SGD$250) and the plastic meter cover.

The best person to send your TLRs too is Harry Fleenor of Oceanside Camera Repair in the States. He has a sterling reputation for Rollei repairs but his turnaround is about 3mths and he is pretty pricey.

http://www.rolleirepairs.com/

You can find the meter cover on Ebay too. approx $45USD for a new part. They come up from time to time.

The Maxwell screens are also highly regarded but I have no direct experience with them. My Beattie Intenscreen is pretty good though.

eh, tetrode
thanks for the help :)

actually not my cameras
my friend's
he is thinking of selling them to me
as he is in some minor financial hardship
but they were quite bad condition from the looks of it
and if I buy and cannot repair then it is as no point

guess I will decline to buy the cameras
otherwise quite a headache trying to hunt down replacement parts
maybe I will buy him many jugs of beer to help him forget his problems in the ktv

Me interested in getting a TLR too, an suggestions other than Rollei and Seagull? Yashica seems quite hard to find although the quality is very good i heard..

anavrin said:
Me interested in getting a TLR too, an suggestions other than Rollei and Seagull? Yashica seems quite hard to find although the quality is very good i heard..

Try Ebay- Yashicas are plentiful there.

A good starter TLR is a used but excellent condition Rolleicord Vb. Forget the Seagulls, not worth the trouble.

If you try and don't like it; you can always sell the Rolleicord away for roughly what you paid for it. You won't be able to do that with a Seagull.

Status
Not open for further replies.