Tire brand, which do you prefer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcLeod

Jul 23, 2005
Singapore, West
Am looking for 225/70/R16 for my SUV.

It came with Bridgestone Dueler.
Only 1 workshop I called carries it, the others offer either Falken or Yokohama etc.

Which brand do you think is better for road holding, ride comfort (noise), durability? or they are more or less the same?

Only 1 workshop I called carries it, the others offer either Falken or Yokohama etc.

Which brand do you think is better for road holding, ride comfort (noise), durability? or they are more or less the same?
Yokohama is one of the good brands. Well, you might consider upgrading to a 17" rim for your SUV. What SUV do you drive? Bridgestone is good. The European tires are generally good, but after sometime, they tend to get hard and the road noise will kick in. Japanese tires are still more suited for our climate. Unless you drive a car with very good sound insulation (EG. continental car), it's still best to get a Japanese tire for Asian cars. Try either Yokohama or Bridgestone. Pretty good tires.

GMAN

I think the Yokohama will give you better noise control and road holding. Duelers are a bit rougher with a tread made for off road. Looks GARANG but should give a rougher ride. Most of our driving is done on roads not Off-road so you should consider that.

GOD Bless.

I think the Yokohama will give you better noise control and road holding. Duelers are a bit rougher with a tread made for off road. Looks GARANG but should give a rougher ride. Most of our driving is done on roads not Off-road so you should consider that.

GOD Bless.

Thanks AGWS. The furthest I go off road is when I go to Sungei Bulok, otherwise I travel on the expressways most of the time.

Bridgestone offers one of the quietest rides compared to SUV makes for falken, yokoholma and the korean makes.

But if you are gamed for a little adventure, try off road tires with the label AT on it. Dunlop AT is currently the latest craze.

However, note that your fuel consumption can worsen by up to 60% if you go for the extreme large sizes and rugged tires. Avoid MT tires as those are only fitted just before a wild off road adventure in the mud.

I had tried several brands and hence I can firmly say stick to Dueler if you just want a comfort ride according to factory standards.

I am not adventurous and I don't think my car which is 2WD not 4WD can do serious off road adventure very well compared with its 4WD cousins.

It was a bit of a surprise when I contact the garages who are supposed to be BS retailers (I googled the web) , most by one said they sell BS. Strange I thought but maybe it is as simple as the info on the web was not updated for some time. Nvm.

Another reason to stick to BS Dueler - I want to get only 3 new tires + my (new) spare tire to make a set of 4, and the old tire with the best condition as spare tire. By defn the spare tire is not used often, just a short term replacement so as long as the tire is not punctured, it is good enough. :p Yes, saving $200 for the moment is worth it for me right now when Vit M is tight. And hopefullyl my $ is more abundant and in a couple of years time I get a new car, then I never need to replace my tires again :p ha ha

its entertaining to see when I browse BS' website, the 225/70/R16 is also for trucks - I was joking with my friends all along I drive a truck (since mine is a Suzuki) and true enough it shares parts with trucks (in this case tire). hahaha

Bridgestone offers one of the quietest rides compared to SUV makes for falken, yokoholma and the korean makes.

But if you are gamed for a little adventure, try off road tires with the label AT on it. Dunlop AT is currently the latest craze.

However, note that your fuel consumption can worsen by up to 60% if you go for the extreme large sizes and rugged tires. Avoid MT tires as those are only fitted just before a wild off road adventure in the mud.

I had tried several brands and hence I can firmly say stick to Dueler if you just want a comfort ride according to factory standards.

Oh Sorry,
I thought Duelers were the one that came on the Wranglers in US. Driven those and the tyres look like they have blocks of chocolate on them? Apparently those are Desert Duelers.
Paiseh!!
:embrass:

Hankook is pretty OK for those on a budget but still concerned with road noise and safety in wet weather ....not top of the line but a good compromise on price vs performance

I have Goodyear NCT5 tires on my ride............ another good price vs. performance tyre

Last edited:
Try this webby for a list of approved resellers for BS tires.

http://www.bridgestone.com.sg/dealers/fst.htm

And indeed, it is a good way to rotate tires buying three instead of four. However, it really does not make much of a difference as a spare is always a spare. You can even get a cheap (other brand) second hand tire to mount in as a spare. That is, if you still has the rear tire housing intact. You save another $100 doing so.

I used to enjoy making online tire purchases as the savings is about 70% off dealer asking prices. However, in Singapore, the market is way too small.

When you purchase online, do you have the tires delivered to a workshop and they put them on for you? or you able to do everything yourself? I expect the price quote by the workshops I called already factor in the labour including wheel balancing.

No, online tire ordering is not quite applicable in singapore given the bulk and available space people live in. I do not use online purchase for tires in Singapore. Only when I lived overseas. A set of four cost my $500 while the outside retails for $500 a piece. I saved $1500 easily for Z rating tires.

I suggest you log in to your SUV local forums and get connected on some joints where members patronize for tire purchases and parts. You can skip their gatherings, but do be sincere when you post. Many out there should be able to give sincere advise. I wont name the names of the car clubs here as i do not benefit in promoting other forums or businesses. Enjoy your hunt. You will make several discoveries, but do beware of a lot of poison which will tempt you to modify your SUV into a real off road truck. With a Suzuki, you can even mod till you can safely drive through a shallow river with waters up to chest level. Nothing is impossible with a Suzuki, the only limit is cash.

Thanks for sharing.
Didn't know the Suzuki is tough to this level. Was told by the car salesman that the chasis is tough (think he said this is a real off roader chasis) compared to other SUVs.

From Salon car point of view....I am using Bridgestone now but I find it's not as grippy as my former Falken....however the Falken worn out pretty fast at 20+k.....my next shoe most likely will be Yokohama or may try out Micheline if price is reasonable....I have good experience with them on my previous ride :p

If you have a vitara or XL7, the ladder frame chassis is very suitable to mount uneven terrains. Compared to Rav4, Crossroad, X-trail and few others, the Vitara, Jimmy, Landrover, Pajero are popular choices off road and crossing rivers. More modifications are needed of course. Each of such off road into the river and bashing through the woods to Thailand can set one back a repair bill of between 2 to 5k on your return.

Luxury models like X5, Hummer, XC90, Cayenne, Touareg etc, are too expensive to mod and parts are extremely rare unless custom made.

I had a friend who totalled his vitara in thailand. He bought a used vitara and drove home another car. I guess he transferred his old engine over and he paid a small fee to revamp the car. Well this is a small price compared to coming home with his steering wheel! LOL

Like I said, anything is possible. You just need vitamin M.
Vitra is off road worthy. Just that not much of a resale value. Landrover, Toureg, Pajero are also off road worthy. They need not much modifications to be made. Landrover is already pripped and ready for off road. It has all the skidplates and protection added to the undercarriage. That's why it weighs as much as a bus and uses a 5litre engine to power itself. Pajero follows next.

Rav4, Honda CR-V, Crossroad, are all just SUV, sports utility vechicles. Not ment for real off roads, but minor, like running on mud,dirt, small slopes and hills. Real offroading is running on natural terrain, with rocks, boulders, branches, etc.

GMAN

You should visit the xx to get more answer there unless you are looking for tips on taking your car photography :p

Honestly, one of the reasons why i do not promote some car forums is that they are highly commercialized. They can tie up with retailers on profit sharing scheme and exclusive recommendations. That is, too good to be true.

Its a dirty world outside, one just have to make an informed choice where spending money is concerned.

Honestly, one of the reasons why i do not promote some car forums is that they are highly commercialized. They can tie up with retailers on profit sharing scheme and exclusive recommendations. That is, too good to be true.

Its a dirty world outside, one just have to make an informed choice where spending money is concerned.
OK lah. I managed to get some useful answers from that site when I was looking for Tires. I got my hankook tires and satisfied with it.

OK lah. I managed to get some useful answers from that site when I was looking for Tires. I got my hankook tires and satisfied with it.

MCF has indeed a wealth of information.

Actually i am more so referring a couple other car clubs. You will only understand when you are a retailer who are part of the network.

From Salon car point of view....I am using Bridgestone now but I find it's not as grippy as my former Falken....however the Falken worn out pretty fast at 20+k.....my next shoe most likely will be Yokohama or may try out Micheline if price is reasonable....I have good experience with them on my previous ride :p

Falken with 20+k is one the low side (consider the BS lasted me for 50k, and maybe more if I fixed one of them immediately after a puncture and rotated the tires in teh last couple of services - actually I asked for it but apparently the workshop forgot).

In terms of durability, Pirelli is pretty good. They looked almost brand new after I did 40k on my last subaru . Lovely car indeed :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.