Tips you would give to a model

Millie

May 28, 2014
Singapore
Hi guys!! I'm Millie and I'm a blogshop and fashion model. I recently got into photography and realised there's a lot more to learn about modelling than I never knew of before. As pro photographers, what advice would you give to models? What I'm worried most about is how I pose in order to get the perfect lighting on my face and the posture of my body. Here are some portraits and poses shoots I've done. Please advise on how I can improve. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Also, can I ask if photographers adjust the exposure on the camera first or just edit it in lightroom? And if they bring their own flash, how should the model position him/herself? Near or away from the secondary light source? And which light source should they pay attention to if there is more than 1 light source. Sorry for spamming all these questions and thanks for your time! ^_______^

1476106_10202720542720831_41192591_n.jpg

1503372_10202720544440874_1800165154_n.jpg

559945_10203212575461342_1406304667_n.jpg

1461044_10202584939330831_2073508663_n.jpg

10367161_10203721851792932_7094131974015536131_n.jpg

Hi guys!! I'm Millie and I'm a blogshop and fashion model. I recently got into photography and realised there's a lot more to learn about modelling than I never knew of before. As pro photographers, what advice would you give to models? What I'm worried most about is how I pose in order to get the perfect lighting on my face and the posture of my body. Here are some portraits and poses shoots I've done. Please advise on how I can improve. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Also, can I ask if photographers adjust the exposure on the camera first or just edit it in lightroom? And if they bring their own flash, how should the model position him/herself? Near or away from the secondary light source? And which light source should they pay attention to if there is more than 1 light source. Sorry for spamming all these questions and thanks for your time! ^_______^

Welcome to ClubSNAP.

Yes, from posing the front camera move to behind the camera you will know there are lots of things are different.

but one thing you need to know is when you pose as a model, do what models suppose to do, leave the technical things and posing direction to the photographers, even you know the camera and lighting better then photographers.
UNLESS they ask you, or the photographers are hired by you.

if you are concerning about the outcome and want to have more control about it, than only accept assignments from experienced photographers.
remember, when you are hired to pose, just do what you suppose to do.

This is a gallery section for members (photographers) to share, showcase and discuss the images they have created

On how to model etc etc for a photog..... moving it to appropriate section in Geeneral Discussions section for discussion

Thread moved

Last edited:
Hi Millie,

Think the first thing about modeling in front of the camera is to listen to the photographers' instruction.
Take note of what they usually tell you to do.
You can also look up the Internet for some standard poses to start practicing in front of a mirror.
You can then figure out how you can quickly get into the positions and poses for the camera.

As for question about photographers, if they can't fix the lighting directly on the camera, then it's a stretch to be calling them "photographers."

The position of light source or flash will depend on the lighting effect the photographer wants to achieve.

If there are multiple flashes, just ask if you always need to face one particular one.

Last edited:
Respect people's time and punctuality.

Be smart and wary of molesters and stalkers.

Respect the intellectual property rights of content creators.

You learn a lot more by working just one time with seasoned pros than goofing around 10 times with newbie amateurs. But you have to make the mistakes with the amateurs first, otherwise you will not recognize the things you can learn from the pros.

As pro photographers, what advice would you give to models? What I'm worried most about is how I pose in order to get the perfect lighting on my face and the posture of my body.
Not a pro photographer here (;p), but perhaps I can give you this suggestion: Take a look at fashion magazines or websites and observe the poses there :) In addition to "general" posture, take a look at small details as well like placement of fingers and how the model's limbs are positioned to, for example, reduce effect of foreshortening. It might also be good to buy or borrow books by top portrait / fashion photographers (e.g. Richard Avedon, Helmut Newton, Steven Meisel, Annie Leibovitz, Irving Penn), and you can also start a Pinterest board and pin nice portraits that you encounter online.

AFAIK professionals (well, not only professionals) usually try to get things right in-camera. This saves time (= money), and problems like bad choice of lighting setup and awkward pose are also troublesome to deal with in postprocessing :sweat: As for details such as where to position yourself w.r.t the lights, in a paid shoot (i.e. photographer hires you), it's best to listen to the photographer's direction. Different photographers have different style :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS! Your comments are really helpful! ;D

the colours in the photos look a bit "flat" to me. perhaps they could do with a boost in contrast?
1476106_10202720542720831_41192591_n_1.jpg

1503372_10202720544440874_1800165154_n_1.jpg

559945_10203212575461342_1406304667_n_1.jpg

1461044_10202584939330831_2073508663_n_1.jpg

10367161_10203721851792932_7094131974015536131_n_1.jpg

Just a little advice for a blogshop models: too many accessories can sometimes steal the attention away from the actual item (for example, a dress) the blogshop owner are trying to sell. But of course there are no hard rules for this.

Good luck and all the best.

thanks for the advice! You guys are awesome :vhappy: