Tips req for handheld photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

futura

Dec 26, 2003
land of fish and chips
Visit site
Does anyone know what F/Stop to use (or a rough estimate) if I am taking a handheld landscape pic on a good / cloudy day, preferably keeping the focus sharp. The equipment would be an EOS 30, 18-40L.

Actually I am also looking for any general tips (or settings to use) as I dont think I will be able to take my tripod with me up a mountain.

use f8 n bracket the shutter speed

cross sling ur bag n bring it up front n rest your left elbow on it. tuck in right elbow.

Thanks for the response clive

Just been reading the thread on exposure compensation. Under the conditions I gave 2 posts up, would it be advisable to have +1 or +2 so that my shots don’t underexpose?

u mean the condition on the "good/cloudy day"?

actually i dunno :) since i m not at the scene itself...well, such landscape details can b quite unpredictable since the sun may like to be a spoilsport n play hide n seek amongst the clouds...thats where bracketing comes in. in general anything beyond +2 stops (likewise -2) will register as a very significant difference. in practice for convenience, every scene i come across i will just shoot at -1, 0, and +1. sometimes just shoot at 0 compensation. coz i spend half the effort on composition ;)

I guess the best way would be to use bracketing and get multiple shots, then hopefully one will be good.... right I best make that bulk order for 50 rolls ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.