Tips On Wedding Day Shoots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've been asked by a close friend to do his wedding day photographer. :sweat: I need some valuable tips and advices on such shoots both on equipment and technical approach. Would be very much appreciate your share of your expertise on this area. Thank you. ;)

Basic advice

Fresh batteries for everything.
use a Wide angle zoom lens 28mm or wider to about 70mm
Flash is a must for most shots.

Get enough sleep (no partying the night b4)
Browse the forums for samples and more advice.

where is espn? ;p keke, btw want a backup?

jUzMoO said:
Hi, I've been asked by a close friend to do his wedding day photographer. :sweat: I need some valuable tips and advices on such shoots both on equipment and technical approach. Would be very much appreciate your share of your expertise on this area. Thank you. ;)
If you are going to be main photographer, decline the offer and ask him to engage a pro photographer. If you are a backup, best advice is to NOT get in the way of the main photographer.

I'm sure you can find a lot of tips and comments here. Just do a search.

As what eric69 has pointed out, be very careful. If you're new to wedding photography, please let the couple know, so that they know what to expect. You can make or break their once-in-a-lifetime shots. It's not as easy as what you think.

Virgo said:
I'm sure you can find a lot of tips and comments here. Just do a search.

As what eric69 has pointed out, be very careful. If you're new to wedding photography, please let the couple know, so that they know what to expect. You can make or break their once-in-a-lifetime shots. It's not as easy as what you think.

I second what Virgo just said. Wedding photography is NOT ....I repeat... NOT your normal day-to-day photography. There are no NGs and if u miss a shot, U ve MISSED it :dunno:

Knowing the sequence of events is also important ... IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE MAIN WITHOUT PRIOR EXPERIENCE, it is more advisable to reject and be a back-up. If they insist, let them noe you are NEW and if u miss any shots or shots dun turn out well, they MUST FORGIVE you ;p

GOOD LUCK...U WILL NEED IT !

Well, thks for the advice. I'm the only photographer, the couple do know that I'm fresh, and gave me the chance for exposure. I'm doing this as a close friend base, and free. I do had a couple of function shoots, and have trail on different settings and playing around with. So far so good, but not as at best like a pro. I'm reading some threads on this issues at the moment. But if you do had any good techinical advice, I would be appreciate. ;) My equipment plan is a D70/Nikon DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED/Nikon SB-600. I do own a Manfotto Monoport (w/o head) which I use for stable shot. I'll bring a DIY bounce card for the flash too.

About bring another partner I've to check with the couple. Will let anyone here know. But most likely the job is to do as a free and experience exposure in mind.

jUzMoO said:
Well, thks for the advice. I'm the only photographer, the couple do know that I'm fresh, and gave me the chance for exposure. I'm doing this as a close friend base, and free. I do had a couple of function shoots, and have trail on different settings and playing around with. So far so good, but not as at best like a pro. I'm reading some threads on this issues at the moment. But if you do had any good techinical advice, I would be appreciate. ;) My equipment plan is a D70/Nikon DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED/Nikon SB-600. I do own a Manfotto Monoport (w/o head) which I use for stable shot. I'll bring a DIY bounce card for the flash too.

About bring another partner I've to check with the couple. Will let anyone here know. But most likely the job is to do as a free and experience exposure in mind.
First of all, good luck to you. It's going to be a stressful experience for you, being the main photographer, and asking such trival questions here. Anyway, I meant no harm, just to tell you that I personally don't be a photographer to my wedding friends. In my line, I have seen more than enough friendships broke up. If your photos turn out to be good, well, you get a pat on your back. If not, then that can ruin a good friendship.

Since this is your close friend, just to check whether your close friend know where your skill level is. If he is comfortable with you, I would encourage you to go ahead with the shoot and learn the experience. No doubt it is a life time shoot for them ... but you got to start somewhere.

I presume you are using DSLR, still not so bad as you can counter check whether it is okay anot. Last time we used film to shoot, you cant even check .... die die got to get it right !!

Your setup is good enough ... not to worry. Just needs to know how the itinerary run and get mor einformation from your friend should be alright.

The choice is yours ... ;)

jUzMoO said:

Bring all your gears, and leave the tripod at home. You won't need it, and will not have time to use it.

Let me know if I have the chance to work with you. Glad to do another wedding shoot. :lovegrin:

PM me if you need a backup, but I won't be shooting much, just probably tag along and guide you along... :) provided I'm free at the date of course.

AhV said:
I second what Virgo just said. Wedding photography is NOT ....I repeat... NOT your normal day-to-day photography. There are no NGs and if u miss a shot, U ve MISSED it :dunno:

Knowing the sequence of events is also important ... IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE MAIN WITHOUT PRIOR EXPERIENCE, it is more advisable to reject and be a back-up. If they insist, let them noe you are NEW and if u miss any shots or shots dun turn out well, they MUST FORGIVE you ;p

GOOD LUCK...U WILL NEED IT !
Haha...this is already a good tip from the Pro! :)

same here ..if u need us to tag along ..just let us noe the date ..or you will find VIRGO, ESPN and AHV 'shadowing' you .... :bsmilie:

Seriously, we wont want u to screw up your first wedding attempt...any form of guidance would be valuable to you :)

JuzMoO, if you don't mind bringing another newbie (that's me) and 2 pros (AhV, espn). :bsmilie:

Virgo said:
JuzMoO, if you don't mind bringing another newbie (that's me) and 2 pros (AhV, espn). :bsmilie:

:sweat: Wah... Wedding shoots is really a fav among enthusiastic photograhpher. I'll take note of this as a considerations. Already i person had pm me :bsmilie:

I can't promise anything yet, but I do my best to see if I can gets a newbie and 2 pros in... lol. btw, the wedding day dun happens until near end April 05, so I've got plenty of time to mingle with you guys on improving shoots. Let me know of any opportunities and outtings too. ;)

Urm.. anymore than 1 more person (with you = 2) you can exclude me :)

You are so fortunate....if you are willing, you have a whole bus load of CS experienced photographers tagging along and giving pointers to you. Maybe the couple will be overwhelmed with gratitude!

In any case, stay cool& calm, and always know what's going to happen next so that you can prepare for the next shot. Be mindful of what's happening around you (like a Jedi knight...or Sith for that matter :bsmilie: ). Even experienced photographers can screw up once in a blue moon (will be his nightmare)

jUzMoO said:
:sweat: Wah... Wedding shoots is really a fav among enthusiastic photograhpher. I'll take note of this as a considerations. Already i person had pm me :bsmilie:

I can't promise anything yet, but I do my best to see if I can gets a newbie and 2 pros in... lol. btw, the wedding day dun happens until near end April 05, so I've got plenty of time to mingle with you guys on improving shoots. Let me know of any opportunities and outtings too. ;)

Join NUG outing .. espn can load you trinity and the fisheye lenses .. ;p

AhV said:
same here ..if u need us to tag along ..just let us noe the date ..or you will find VIRGO, ESPN and AHV 'shadowing' you .... :bsmilie:

Seriously, we wont want u to screw up your first wedding attempt...any form of guidance would be valuable to you :)

Haven't seen espn's or virgo's wedding shots, but AhV's good :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Seriously, if it is your first time, better get a good backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.