Tips on indoor shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikokoh

Jul 14, 2008
hi, as i want to take pictures at home and with only a digital camera with manual function. My wall is painted blue and the only empty wall for photography has very limited lighting.

Can i know what are the basic (at lower cost) lights I should buy?

And what are the equipments needed?

Thanks.

hi, as i want to take pictures at home and with only a digital camera with manual function. My wall is painted blue and the only empty wall for photography has very limited lighting.

Can i know what are the basic (at lower cost) lights I should buy?

And what are the equipments needed?

Thanks.

it helps if u can mention:
1) what digital camera u r using?
2) what is ur budget?

but to answer ur question, an external flash will definitely help much more as compared to the built-in flash of ur digicam. so depending on ur camera make, prices can start from few hundred $$.

hi! thanks for replying. i am using a sony cybershoot with basic manual functions such as able to adjusting the shutter speed and apecture.

Budget wise, it will be as low as possible. =)

i am planning to take pictures of clothings. so i need it to be clear. so i need the background(which is my wall) to be brighter. No need to be as perfect as studio pictures i guess.

i am planning to take pictures of clothings. so i need it to be clear. so i need the background(which is my wall) to be brighter. No need to be as perfect as studio pictures i guess.
since it's a static object, maybe a tripod with longer shutter speed will help?

since it's a static object, maybe a tripod with longer shutter speed will help?
i tried that before. But it will appear a bit grainy due to that my background isn't that bright enough. that is why i am thinking of getting some lights.

I'm guessing Eriko here has a live journal blog store and she'll be wearing those clothes and standing in front of the blue wall with a tripod and timer?

To be honest, compact cameras don't really work that well indoors, especially in dim light. Just save the trouble of setting up anything indoors. Get the GORILLA POD! And take the pics in the day, outdoors. Problem solved!

I don't see why not. Even my DP, taken 7yrs ago with a p&s digicam, very dark dog's saloon, handheld, natural lighting.
Yeh just have some spotlight or something (like a study lamp or two) shine it against the clothes. Or just tune up ur flash power poof. I done it for a friend before, but I can't advice you further without seeing the lightings.

you want really low budget...

ask somebody able to do simple DIY to get you 4ft fluorescent tube with housing plus a power cable (it will not cost more than $30), hang the light fixture vertically on anything you can find in your house, ladder, laundry rack, or even at the door, it will work like a studio strip light, and have enough power to shoot with hand held, but you need to set your white balance accordingly.

hope this help.

you want really low budget...

ask somebody able to do simple DIY to get you 4ft fluorescent tube with housing plus a power cable (it will not cost more than $30), hang the light fixture vertically on anything you can find in your house, ladder, laundry rack, or even at the door, it will work like a studio strip light, and have enough power to shoot with hand held, but you need to set your white balance accordingly.

hope this help.

i think this is what catchlight mentioned put into a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eik8iWX97pc&feature=related

(beware music)

Status
Not open for further replies.