Tips on cleaning SMC Polariser


Status
Not open for further replies.

ahbian

Senior Member
May 23, 2006
2,467
0
0
#1
I just bought my first polariser, a Hoya pro-1 , when I hold it against the light, i notice that it is not uniformly clear.

Imagine that you breathe on a piece of glass to create a thin layer of condesation,thats how it looks like on parts of my lens.

Seeking on advices on methods to clean the lens, I heard that multicoated lens are a pain to clean.

Was in half a mind to bring it back to the shop and get their help to clean it.
 

yyD70S

Senior Member
Dec 25, 2005
2,454
0
0
Singapore
#2
You could try a lenspen but hoya filters has been known to be hard to clean.


ahbian said:
I just bought my first polariser, a Hoya pro-1 , when I hold it against the light, i notice that it is not uniformly clear.

Imagine that you breathe on a piece of glass to create a thin layer of condesation,thats how it looks like on parts of my lens.

Seeking on advices on methods to clean the lens, I heard that multicoated lens are a pain to clean.

Was in half a mind to bring it back to the shop and get their help to clean it.
 

ahbian

Senior Member
May 23, 2006
2,467
0
0
#3
Thanks for the advice.

I've read a couple of threads about cleaning UV filters, such as using lens pen, cleaning tissue/solution. Are there any which are especially recommended/not recommended for MC-Polarisers?

Also, the desciption on the filter packaging says that "seven layers of multicoating on the rear surface eliminate flare...blah blah". Does that mean that there are no coatings on front surface? I'm asking because there seems to be concerns on coatings coming off due to inappropiate cleaning techniques.
 

ExplorerZ

Senior Member
Jan 9, 2006
7,752
0
36
West Legion
hkchew03.deviantart.com
#4
ahbian said:
Thanks for the advice.

I've read a couple of threads about cleaning UV filters, such as using lens pen, cleaning tissue/solution. Are there any which are especially recommended/not recommended for MC-Polarisers?

Also, the desciption on the filter packaging says that "seven layers of multicoating on the rear surface eliminate flare...blah blah". Does that mean that there are no coatings on front surface? I'm asking because there seems to be concerns on coatings coming off due to inappropiate cleaning techniques.
i use lenspens for frequent cleaning, for a full "deep" clean i will use lens tissue + very small amount of lens solution
 

Razor54

New Member
Jan 10, 2006
290
0
0
West to East
#5
For me, usually it's blower first, followed by 3M micro-cloth....:thumbsup:
 

smtan24

New Member
Dec 21, 2005
1,496
0
0
45
Tampines
#6
ahbian said:
Thanks for the advice.

I've read a couple of threads about cleaning UV filters, such as using lens pen, cleaning tissue/solution. Are there any which are especially recommended/not recommended for MC-Polarisers?

Also, the desciption on the filter packaging says that "seven layers of multicoating on the rear surface eliminate flare...blah blah". Does that mean that there are no coatings on front surface? I'm asking because there seems to be concerns on coatings coming off due to inappropiate cleaning techniques.
Hoya is coated both back an front. The following is from a Hoya distributer webpage:

Hoya manufactures a full line of filters in both standard and Hoya multi-coated. The difference between Hoya’s standard line and that of other manufacturers is that Hoya standard filters have one layer of anti-reflective coating applied to each surface of the glass. Many other manufacturers standard filters are bare glass, and bare glass can reflect as much as 9% of the light hitting it. This greatly increases the risks of flare and ghosting.
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
#7
smtan24 said:
Hoya is coated both back an front. The following is from a Hoya distributer webpage:

Hoya manufactures a full line of filters in both standard and Hoya multi-coated. The difference between Hoya’s standard line and that of other manufacturers is that Hoya standard filters have one layer of anti-reflective coating applied to each surface of the glass. Many other manufacturers standard filters are bare glass, and bare glass can reflect as much as 9% of the light hitting it. This greatly increases the risks of flare and ghosting.
But HOYA don't tell people that others also have multi-coated filter series. For example: B+W filter is MRC, which is multi coated on both side of glass, and easier to clean than HOYA filter ;) .

Regards,
Arto.
 

smtan24

New Member
Dec 21, 2005
1,496
0
0
45
Tampines
#8
Artosoft said:
But HOYA don't tell people that others also have multi-coated filter series. For example: B+W filter is MRC, which is multi coated on both side of glass, and easier to clean than HOYA filter ;) .

Regards,
Arto.
You are right don't specifically mention if the HMC and SMC are multi coated on both sides. Some source seem to suggest that they are.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom