Tips on 2nd hand lense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Jan 18, 2002
North West
Visit site
Hi, can anyone give me some tips on how to and what to check on 2nd hand lense for film SLR.

Thanks--

Originally posted by Kevin
Hi, can anyone give me some tips on how to and what to check on 2nd hand lense for film SLR.

Thanks--

Look at the glass in well lit place. Check carefully the front and rear elements. Look through the lens to a clear blue sky. You should see nothing but clear glass. Make sure there's no fogging on the glass.

Load it on a camera, do focusing and zooming go smoothly ?

A few minor things, is mounting and dismounting the lens hood works fine.

If possible, load a roll of a film and try most apertures, especially wide open and closed down. Develop it and check to ensure everything work well.

It's advisable to bring someone have experience about lens along.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks guys for the advise! Wah buying 2nd hand lense can be so complicated ah! May be now I should ask:--> Anyone free to come with me? :D

Originally posted by Kevin
Tomorrow (sorry, today) lunch time or coming Saturday morning?

If u are not sure, try to buy from a friend or from a shop. Until you gain some good knowledge abt how a "good" and "bad" lens look like.

No point saving a bit have take such high risk..

As others suggested, get someone who knows. Do bring your camera to test with it.

A second hand camera dealer once taught me to bring along a torch light when inspecting lenses. Shine the torch light through the lens and any defects like scratches and fungus will show up obviously when viewed at the right angle.

Have not really tried that myself, but it sounds logical and convincing to me.

You might want to give it a try.

- Roy

torch? erm I try to zoom + MF the lens under the light... then can see the elements come into focus, generally dust has no pattern vs fungus' beautiful streaks. BUT dun buy if it's too dusty as it means the guy never maintain it anyway...
also being too cheap is an indication.

Originally posted by roygoh
A second hand camera dealer once taught me to bring along a torch light when inspecting lenses. Shine the torch light through the lens and any defects like scratches and fungus will show up obviously when viewed at the right angle.

Have not really tried that myself, but it sounds logical and convincing to me.

You might want to give it a try.

- Roy

:thumbsup: bring very strong flash light.....and spot it thorough the lens ans look at the perphery of the elements.....
This the only way you can spot fu8ngus in the lens.......
I learnt it hard way.........

Here is what some seniors adviced me....(Bring along your camera body if possible)

1- Take the lns and remove all caps and rear cover

2- Look a the physical lens body for sign of "bad handling" dinks, bad gash/scratches or scrapped of markings.

3- Set the aperture to maximum(largest)- some camera requires turning the aperture ring and some need to use a pen to push the aperture actuator.

4- Look through the lens towards a brght light soource(may wanna bring a torch).

5- Look at the lens throughout the zoom (min to max and vice versa)- There was once i looked througha Tamron 28-200 and was shock to see fine haze at its wide angle, this is only through the help of a torchlight ( this fog will kinda glow).

6- Look for surface scratches at an angle lighting. Look for signs of old cleaned fungus marks at the multicoating on the glass surfaces. Some older lenses black internal coating may flake too and leave black specks on the internal elements.

7- Look also fo "just about to grow" fungus at the edges. Look like older lenses with "paper gaskets" tend to have fungus growing beginning from the edges....

8- If all the above is okay......then you could then start to check the mechanical and electronics of it(if AF).

9- Mount the lens......on your camera....without film (if you choose to use a film for evaluation go ahead) then start taking some shots at all the zoom ranges if it is the zoom lens. Test out the aperture too if possible if you camera can do a Depth of field review.....

10- If all that is great.....then you can start bargaining.........Don't use old tricks of poiting out a scratch and ask for a discount for every scratch you find........these people are long in the business.
Try to convince the guy that you are a serious buyer and that you will be coming for more in the future.....

11- I personally think 2nd shops here have a reputation to upkeep....so they won't sell to you really screw up lens......

Other than that........best of luck.....

regards,
me

My basic check on a new or second hand lens AF lenses.

1) Look at the front and rear coating, if there is a scratch mark, then don't buy it. Else you'll have a hard time if you wish to sell it in future.

2) Look through the lens on towards a light source, if you can see a "crack" mark on any internal lens element, then it might be a sign of fungus infection. Don't buy any lens with this characteristic.

3) Mount the lens on the camera, set the camera to "M" mode. Set the aperture to f22 and shutter to 1 sec . Look into the lens front element and release the shutter. The aperture should stop down smoothly for a second after the shutter release. Give a second try for f16 at 1/2 sec, 1/125 sec, 1/250 sec, 1/500 sec. The aperture should stop down to a size two times bigger than f22 and the timing will be relative to your shutter settings.

4) Put back the lens cap and switch the AF mode to on. Press the shutter release half way down. The lens should hunt through the entire focus range smoothly. If there is any drag, then either the gear lubricant was dried or the gear has worn out.

5) Remove the lens cap and focus on something near < 1m or the nearest possible range for the lens. Then focus on something very far or near infinity. Make sure the lens can AF properly at both ends.

If the lens can survive these test, it would be a good buy if the price don't hurt :p

Originally posted by AdamGoi
If you come for SEED, i.e. today you may be able to get help! ;)
Aiyah, the seller can't come. How about Saturday morning or Week days lunch time next week? :gbounce:

Now I can't come to SEED untill few more weeks then I am free to come. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.