Tips of Black and White

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamys

Oct 13, 2009
Hi there, i am a very beginner and would like to learn some black and white knowledge from you guys. Can anybody give some tips? Thanks a lot.

Hi there, i am a very beginner and would like to learn some black and white knowledge from you guys. Can anybody give some tips? Thanks a lot.

Think in terms of black and white. Contrasty images are what you want as you are trying to intrepret a scene in terms of tones only.

I also a newbie into B&W photography but let me share my tips.

Since now the digital cameras can be switched to B&W, try it first.
Don't go into film before trying it through digital (there is a difference in terms of the results from film and digital).

MOST IMPORTANT: For B&W photography, sunlight/lightings is an extremely important factor. ;)

If you are using a digital camera, take in color, before converting to black and white using Photoshop, lightroom or other photo editing software. The reason for this is that it retains more infomation than if you were to switch to black and white in the camera.

Switch the mode to B&W but leave the capture to RAW. You'll have more avenues to convert later on. And do note that each conversion mode can make a difference. :)

If you are using a digital camera, take in color, before converting to black and white using Photoshop, lightroom or other photo editing software. The reason for this is that it retains more infomation than if you were to switch to black and white in the camera.

thanks, this is also what i usually did to convert the photo to black and white using photoshop, but the problem is the photo always looks yellowish/dull or not really that black and white as what we always seen on others photos, anyone know how to fix this?:dunno:

thanks, this is also what i usually did to convert the photo to black and white using photoshop, but the problem is the photo always looks yellowish/dull or not really that black and white as what we always seen on others photos, anyone know how to fix this?:dunno:

Adjust levels / contrast?

Status
Not open for further replies.