Tips for the guys~

Redsun

Nov 27, 2005
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Top 5 Fashion mistakes Men Make

http://sg.promotion.yahoo.com/weekend-edition/hype

By Fazillah Abdul Gaffa

We’re sure Singaporean men are good at a lot of things – being dads, filing taxes, figuring out which LAN gaming centre gives the best bang for the buck… But there are some things, however, that Singaporean men are infamously bad at, and the evidence is easily apparent: their sense of style – or the lack of it.

Mostly, the Singaporean fashion crimes are most guilty of are:

1. Absence of the The Right Fit

Singaporean men are not the only culprits – a lot of men take a good, heaven-sent attribute, like the fit of clothes, and exaggerate it to preposterous proportions. On top of the fact that they’ve decided their shirt tails should hang out, they’ve also picked a shirt big enough for two people to sleep in.

How many times have you seen a man sashaying down Orchard Road in a pair of skinny jeans so tight you could name his man bits? Or the opposite end of the spectrum, with men who look like they’re not wearing shirts, but instead, a short dress paparazzi-flashing Lindsay Lohan would approve?

Do these guys a favour if you’re friends with them – help them buy something in their size.

2. Collar Popping

Here’s the truth: you do not look cool with your collars popped. You look like an overgrown frat boy who’s trying too hard to get laid. This collar-popping phenomenon started in 1929 when René Lacoste, the French seven-time Grand Slam champion, designed a cotton shirt that he would wear with its collar turned up to block the sun from his neck when playing tennis. In a time where sunblock is available at Watson’s for $5.90, you don’t need to pop your collar to block the sun.

Correcting the crime: Pop their collar down before they head out the door.

3. Wearing sunglasses indoors or at night

Comedian Larry David put it best… "You know who wears sunglasses inside? Blind people and assh*les." Unfortunately, a lot of Singaporean men do that. Whether it’s just simple laziness of putting back your sunnies where it belongs, or feeble attempt at looking cool, wearing sunglasses indoors or at night is probably one of the most wrist-slitting fashion mistakes you can make. And it’s so simply not to do it.

4. Carrying women’s bags

There is a line between being gentlemanly, and being completely stupid. Carrying your wife’s or your girlfriend’s $4,000 Chanel bag that you’ve paid for on her birthday falls into the latter category. Carry her shopping bags, open doors for her, but draw the line at carrying her designer handbag.

5. Sports jerseys

We understand your undying passion for Manchester United Football Club, we just don’t understand why you have to declare that love all the time. There are a lot of other things you can wear – like t-shirts, or shirts that are not scarlet red and emblazoned with the logo of a multi-billion dollar insurance company. If somebody’s advertising is on you, it only makes sense to have them pay you, not the other way around.

While the Don Drapers in this world are few and far between, those who want to take sensible fashion pointers can turn to the inaugural Singapore Men’s Fashion Week 2011. The five-day men’s fashion event will showcase the Autumn/Winter 2011 collections of up to 15 renowned brands; to date, the labels that will be rocking the runway include Boss Black by Hugo Boss, Canali, Dress Camp, Emmanuel, Etro, G.I.L. Homme, Raoul, Shanghai Tang and Versace

Top 5 Fashion mistakes Men Make

http://sg.promotion.yahoo.com/weekend-edition/hype

By Fazillah Abdul Gaffa

We’re sure Singaporean men are good at a lot of things – being dads, filing taxes, figuring out which LAN gaming centre gives the best bang for the buck… But there are some things, however, that Singaporean men are infamously bad at, and the evidence is easily apparent: their sense of style – or the lack of it.

Mostly, the Singaporean fashion crimes are most guilty of are:

4. Carrying women’s bags

There is a line between being gentlemanly, and being completely stupid. Carrying your wife’s or your girlfriend’s $4,000 Chanel bag that you’ve paid for on her birthday falls into the latter category. Carry her shopping bags, open doors for her, but draw the line at carrying her designer handbag.

completely agreed.

Only babies let people dictate them what, when, where and how to wear.

I wear what I felt as comfortable and proper in S'pores hot and humid weather... already pass the age where I give a d*** what others think I should wear. :think:

fashion is where people tell you you look ugly without a designer something on you. i really don understand fashion.......i mean......$5000 for a shoe? come on!

Guys, Don't mind if I share some fashion/grooming tips.....no offense to those who make the mistakes I'm listing.

1)Some guys wear ill matching belt and shoes. Please learn that your belt and shoe colour must match i.e no black belt with brown shoes.

2)Do not wear sports or metal strap watches with tuxedos.

3) Some wear ill fitting or cheapo material tailored clothes. If you go to a tailor, obviously you want shirts that fit. If you don't want to spend on good tailored material then please buy off the rack cos you will look better as compared to crumpy cheapo material (tailored).

4) If your white shirt is so thin that your nipples can be seen, please wear a t-shirt inside.

5) if you perspire alot that there are sweat stains on your armpits, wear a tshirt inside.

6) Please wear socks unless you are wearing moccasins.

7) A suit is meant to make you look smart so if you can't find a fitting one off the rack, get a tailored one cos an ill fitting suit will either look like you borrowed it from your dad or make you look sloppy.

8 ) no checkered shirt with striped pants and vice versa.

9) if you want to wear a tank top, make sure your armpit hair is not protruding when your arms are down.

10) if you don't have a strong chin, don't spot a goatee unless you want to pass off as unkempt.

I know most guys don't bother to dress up which is fine but at least get the basics right and you need not spend alot to look good. :)

Last edited:
Not forgetting: Flip flops are beachwear, period.
The way one dresses e.g. for a meeting or any other occasion expresses the appreciation one gives to the other party. Seeing people attending a wedding in Polo shirt and jeans makes me wonder where they left their manners .. and where the hell did the bumpers had their eyes and minds.
Another point is keeping shirts, pants and shoes properly maintained. Elbows worn thin, shiny seams and backsides, missing buttons (or replaced with ill-fitting ones), shoes with scratches and chipped off patches are a case for trash bin.

I wear what I felt as comfortable and proper in S'pores hot and humid weather... already pass the age where I give a d*** what others think I should wear. :think:

Agreed... I really don't care what I wear so long as it's comfy and covers my "man bits" while providing enough cool air.... :thumbsup:

Actually what really bugs me... Is when you watch a play at the esplanade and see the guys in cargo shorts and sandals... I mean c'mon...

Octarine said:
Not forgetting: Flip flops are beachwear, period.
The way one dresses e.g. for a meeting or any other occasion expresses the appreciation one gives to the other party. Seeing people attending a wedding in Polo shirt and jeans makes me wonder where they left their manners .. and where the hell did the bumpers had their eyes and minds.
Another point is keeping shirts, pants and shoes properly maintained. Elbows worn thin, shiny seams and backsides, missing buttons (or replaced with ill-fitting ones), shoes with scratches and chipped off patches are a case for trash bin.

Well flip-flops are not just for beach wear, nothing wrong with wearing them to go get something from the 7-11 below your house or just to tabao kopi haha.

Rashkae said:
Actually what really bugs me... Is when you watch a play at the esplanade and see the guys in cargo shorts and sandals... I mean c'mon...

Agree! :)

I once popped a question to my friends in taiwan, on their opinion of singaporean's fashion sense.

The first and unanimous thing they agreed on was " Singaporeans love to wear flip-flops!";)

They admitted that they do not have anything against flip-flops. But they only wear it when they are at the beach. :nono:

A pair of sneakers/deck-shoes with hidden socks does wonders to a T shirt & shorts get-up :thumbsup:

...wow...if i do this, my mother would wallap me kau kau for being so wasteful.

ok, sandals, cannot defend, but cargo pants leh......some would say it's the hip hop spirit... (i'm just saying this coz i oni wear cargo pants...hated slacks.)

worst are those who observe fashion tips, put on their bestest latest fashion clothings but dine at food court and take public transport. these people ought to be put out of circulation in the society as they do damage to the fashion world. It is just unforgiveable and unfasiohable to eat with all the unkempt lot.

it's so different in Hong Kong, everyone is so well dressed with a nice fashion sense...

in Singapore, people just focus more on gears, cars, IT gadgets...

worst are those who observe fashion tips, put on their bestest latest fashion clothings but dine at food court and take public transport. these people ought to be put out of circulation in the society as they do damage to the fashion world. It is just unforgiveable and unfasiohable to eat with all the unkempt lot.

What the hell are you on about?

Is it suppose to be sarcastic? Where in the rule of fashion is that you can never dine with people who dress lousier than you?

Dressing well, wearing nice fitting clothe is so that you make a good first impression.

street etiquette is one of my favourite fashion blog and the 2 writers are from Bronx. Shouldn't they be wearing oversized, shirt with New Era caps to the side instead of wingtips and colour co-ordinated pocket squares?

Is it suppose to be sarcastic? Where in the rule of fashion is that you can never dine with people who dress lousier than you?

well it certainly looks out of place. i had a polytechnic acquaintance who ONLY WORE expensive branded nice clothing. but he always had NO MONEY; simply because he's poor, cared only for how he looked. dined at food courts and looked super out of place with us who were dressed in G2000 and OP back then.

did you know what's the first thought people think of him? "so poor still want to act rich". you can be dressed to the nines but when you stand out from the crowd that's when the criticisms come. be prepared for it.

Dressing well, wearing nice fitting clothe is so that you make a good first impression.

first impressions don't count when you open your mouth and all that comes out is filth you know. clothes maketh the man, but the mouth will destroy what the clothes portray.
one good example: Ris Low

i have a friend who wears slippers, polo tees and shorts most of the time, and carries a plain-looking sling bag. people dismiss him as some vagrant, but if you look closely, he's wearing LV, Prada, D&G, A|X, Hugo Boss etc from head to toe. going out with him, we don't even need to be well-dressed (i.e. shorts and slippers) to sit at a restaurant at Holland Village with simple drinks that go into the tens of dollars. just open his wallet....and bam! we've got a table.

that being said, true, first impressions count. but not all the time. i can dress in a simple get-up of t-shirt, shorts and slippers. yet i'm always mistaken for being a rich kid (i'm actually very very poor). it's the way you carry yourself and speak that's important as well.

DRESSING WELL is only part of it. how you behave in well-fitting clothes also affects how people look at you.