Tips for taking ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixshot76

Mar 21, 2007
East
Bro and sis out there, I need help. I was asked to help my friend to shoot at his ROM. This is my first time doing and worry that i might screw things up. So can anyone teach me some skill for shooting this event. Thanks alot.:)

Have you shot any gatherings, parties or events before?

I think you will be using your 17-40 and 430EX most for the indoor shots.
Group shots before going into the room (assuming at the registry of marriage), some scenes of the inside the room, the officiator, pics of the couple, couple signing , expressions, esp tears of joy etc.

Will be good if you have some flash modifier such as the lightsphere, bounce card etc, Else, can attempt bounce flash indoors if ceiling is not too high

For outside, you still might need some fill flash, depending on time and weather conditions.

For individual portraits, think ur 85mm f1.8 will be good, but dunno if you have enough time to switch around

Good luck, have fun

Looks like Midicity already covered it.

I asked so that I could get a better idea of what would be helpful for you tyo know.

CHEERS!

remember to check your white balance! :D

Wedding and ROM...once in a life time most of the time. It is not a good time for learning to shoot or experiment. Once the event is over...there is no reverse drive or get everyone to come back to do it again. Unless your friend is really short on cash to pay for a qualified pro to cover his big day, make sure you impress upon him that he has to accept whatever shots that comes out... good or bad. Before you get into getting advises about what lens to use, flash or what have you...what I mentioned earlier is your first thing you need to tackle.

who dun have their 1st time ?
if one dun dare to make mistake and dare to try..

how to move further ? .. my 2 cents..

I covered a few ROM's as a second photog before and I can assure you that screwing up is not good =p. Be prepared and carry 2 sets of cameras, lenses and flash. Memory cards and batteries for flash important too. At least ROM's only last afew hours so not too draining on batteries.

A few important shots are the main walk down, the exchanging of vows, placing of rings and the kiss. These shots cannot be missed and best if you can ask the couple to freeze afor a second or to to let you get the shot :D ( I had a JOP ask the couple to smile at the camera before :bsmilie: ) You will also need to make sure you get some nice candids of the bride and grooms parents or immediate family members. Also normally there will be group shot requests so you need to know how to coordinate people.

In general I strongly suggest you let someone with more experience do the job unless you are confident that you wont mess things up. That said its much more fun to go as a guest and enjoy yourself :)

Well, I've just returned from a fren's ROM coverage. As in your situation, I am also newbie and this is my first time in shooting ROM. Because in a free and volunteer condition, whereas my fren didnt ask for official photog, so mainly the task of freezing and capturing the moment is still drop on me, sigh..(eventhough it is free). :bsmilie: So, this is what I've learned from my first time experience, share with you and hope it helps.

Tools:
I will consider bringing a 18-70mm or 17-55mm for a wider view. Since all the parents, relatives and frens will be taking photos with the couple, this lens will do MOST of the job. Unfortunately, the 85mm that my fren borrowed me was seldomly used, as inside the room, there's not much spaces for you to move..that's really bad....Flash is a MUST for the indoor shot, but bringing extra AA size batteries is a plus. But I seldom used flash for the moment they signed the papers/documents and also the moment they're kissing and wearing rings. Direct flash is really not a good way to create the feeling of romantic...haha.

Things to watch out:
Interaction.....Need to talk more with those frens, relatives, and parent to make them smiles or even laugh in this BIG dayz. Trying to take more abstract objects when they are bz with other things....Shooting some shots during make up is also very nice. Flowers~Rings~Meals~Boyz~Gals~

Most of the thing that you should take notes were emphasized by those sifus above :thumbsup: already. You wouldn't get wrong if you follow what they suggest...but bringing 2 cameras is really a good suggestion, a wide lens and another prime lens...

I agree with what you say too. What I am simply saying is base on what the TS asked. He has never done this before. He coulds be a great photographer in some way but not ROM event maybe? Which is why I guess he started this thread.

I am only suggest that he clears it with his bridegroom brudder first. If he is given the chance to try his best to shoot then yes by all means go ahead a shoot. Idea is not to have misunderstanding later. His bro might be happyu with his ability but what about the wife to be? heheheh

After clearing that up....taking on those great tips written here by those experience in this kind of event will come in handy with the shooting now.

Hey I got my break last time shooting wedding from friends too. I make alot of boo boo but well they know it and did not expect too much since they too poor to pay for pro. I did not do that bad too because like what the TS did...I go and do my homework... I read up, practice, prepare my equipment and most important....learn to have super thick skin. As you have to get the best shots and sometime directing certain scenes with the couple and other people so you can the best shots at the right time. heh.. Aiyo..I don't want to shoot those again man heheh...run about like a monkey with all my gears. Back then you use film and what is worst is running out of film at the wrong time man! NOw with memory cards...aiya...less of a problem now heheh..

if you are asked by your friend to shoot his/her ROM, he/she has to take in whatever you have produced, good or bad, this is it, no retake, no rerun, no try again.
but I'm telling you the truth, if you screw up, even the couple does not mind, the feeling of guilt will still haunt you for many years. Unless you are those everything hack care type person.

you have to be a competent photographer before you go and shoot an event, cos events need you to be very observant, you need to act fast, move fast, every decision has to be like instinct. know where to position yourself, know when you should move ahead of people, cos no one will take you what you suppose to do during that time, and not gonne wait for you also.

I'm not saying you should or should not go, but just get yourself prepared.

everyone have but usually train with someone familiar and shoot as 2nd photog until he is familiar then carry out shoots alone.

aiyoyo
i agree with everyone.

me just see the pychological espect of it.....
for the rest.. think as an adult he will be old enough to see if he wants to handle possible positive consequence.

who knows.. this is the begining of another Joho....
me dun want to get kill and burnt here...

he can do 100 times as an 2nd shooter.. but if the fear in him is still there and not able withstand that fast and vigilances..
mindset means he is still not there.. and of cos.. going thru is SOP... without the eye of seeing and knowing wat element to bring out of the photo
is useless.

perhaps i din phrase myself well... sollie ah... apologize if ppl feel pek chek.... or watever..
no intention to trigger any discomfort in anyone...

kayaki,

that's misleading... since when did i get killed and burnt? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

anyway u're right, everyone has their first time. i just think it's not advisable to go thru the first time alone.

I think you will be using your 17-40 and 430EX most for the indoor shots.
Group shots before going into the room (assuming at the registry of marriage), some scenes of the inside the room, the officiator, pics of the couple, couple signing , expressions, esp tears of joy etc.

Will be good if you have some flash modifier such as the lightsphere, bounce card etc, Else, can attempt bounce flash indoors if ceiling is not too high

For outside, you still might need some fill flash, depending on time and weather conditions.

For individual portraits, think ur 85mm f1.8 will be good, but dunno if you have enough time to switch around

Good luck, have fun

Thanks bro. Sure to have fun and hard time to change the lens.:)

I'm not saying you should or should not go, but just get yourself prepared.

If I could suggest, the key word here is 'prepared'.

No one can blame you for inexperience, but you can do everything within your power to prepare yourself for your friend's big day. ;)

All the best and have fun!

anyway u're right, everyone has their first time. i just think it's not advisable to go thru the first time alone.

+1

To TS, pls heed the above advice.

Here's a personal experience. Most ppl seem to have an impression that someone with a DSLR should be able to give good looking photos better than PnS cams. With that misconception, they tend to ask inexperienced event photographers (like myself and you) to take their precious once-in-a-lifetime ROM/Wedding. I went in solo, in nearly screwed up on the deliverables. In my case, I salvaged the situation rather expensively by purchasing rescue software literally just for this screw up. The couple never knew of the near disaster. But the point is not buying rescue software, it's not to have even risked it in the first place if you are expected to deliver! If you have some friends who can join you, even with a PnS, I will recommend that.

Hey bro, my advice to you is if you do not have any experience in shooting ROMs, please discuss with your friend and request the couple to enguage one that has shot ROMs before. Weddings are once-in-a-lifetime occasions and cannot be replayed, so if you mess it up, there's a tendency of souring your relationship with your friend. I have seen many cases of such.

So if you have no experience, just tell your friend. Although he/she may not mind, but I can't guarantee when they see the pictures not well captured, e.g. the photographer missed out the exchange of rings, signing of certificate by witnesses, etc.

I'm not saying you will mess it up, but just a word of caution. If you are not confident, don't do it. Talk to your friend and I'm sure he/she will understand.

Hope all goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.