Tips for staying inspired, motivated and finding the time

noodlehaus

Jan 30, 2010
Would you guys share some tips/suggestions for keeping your self inspired and motivated to shoot? Also, how to manage and squeeze out time to go out and shoot as well. Greatly appreciate any tips/suggestions.

For me, there are 2 big enemies.

First enemy is inertia/laziness/sloth. During weekend, I find it difficult to tear my butt from couch and go out to shoot.

Second enemy is familiarity. In Singapore, the places are familiar so the mind is not very adventurous enough to find special angles and compositions. By contrast, when overseas the mind is always curious, always adventurous and always intrigued - hence a greater propensity to good composition.

Second enemy is familiarity. In Singapore, the places are familiar so the mind is not very adventurous enough to find special angles and compositions. By contrast, when overseas the mind is always curious, always adventurous and always intrigued - hence a greater propensity to good composition.

and this enemy is also your friend, if you know what i mean.

you can always return, you know the place better, you have greater confidence in what you're doing, and you can concentrate on the act of photography itself instead of worrying about other issues such as timing, safety, location.

inspiration? when i wake up every morning, and felt blessed that i'm still breathing;) hence felt the urge to experience the early or late hours that mother nature has for us. that's where i fell in love shooting sunrise/sunset,flowers, insects and finally birds!

and yes,i do come back and explore the same place. each time with different mindset even though getting almost familiar with the surrounding of that area, i felt the abundance of nature or wildlife has no boundary for you to explore. and with a newborn baby recently, that inspiration level has elevated further, for me to explore portraiture shooting.

time? you don't plan for it when it comes to photography. go out and enjoy shooting. put that cam on 24/7 standby and you'll have no worries for lack of time.

ones has to push himself,
push himself through the familiarity,
push himself to the unknown territory,
push himself to a greater height,
push himself to take up the challenge,

the challenge of his own-self.

find some friends, go on shoots...

Well bro, my moto is it aint sunday everyday

Somedays I get great shots, some days I go home with nothing, just luck I guess
just like fishing, if really must catch some fishes to bring home, ones won't able to enjoy fishing, go fish market will be a better choice. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

i'm inspired by other people's work, especially here in this sub forum.. :)

I get inspired by looking at great pictures..
Some real inspIring quotes here :thumbsup:

but still laziness killed everything.

leave the camera in the bag

I make myself really bored and i leave the house. Even more bored with laziness hanging around.

Would you guys share some tips/suggestions for keeping your self inspired and motivated to shoot? Also, how to manage and squeeze out time to go out and shoot as well. Greatly appreciate any tips/suggestions.

To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour.

if your friends use expensive equipment, maybe you can try to outdo them by shooting equally interesting photos with a less expensive gear?:think:

BBB. Buy new gear every now and then and it'll make you go out and try them...:D

Dont force it.... you cannot be on a constant high on ANYTHING....... I advise you to go with the ups and downs through the cycles

Been through at least 3-4 major cycles over the years ..... if it happens... it happens.... if it does not..... move on to something else that inspires you ....

and i say this with all good intentions , peace...

Last edited: