Tips for ROM shoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratchet1981

Jul 6, 2007
Yishun
Hi, guys, a friend recently ask me to help him take photographs for his ROM, as I have no experience before.

I plan to use my my dslr for the shoot but have only the basic equipment: Nikon D40x with 18-55mm (f3.5-5.6) kit lens and only built in flash......

Can u guys give me some tips on how to ensure that the photos dun come out crappy:cry:

Thanks a million.....

Hi, guys, a friend recently ask me to help him take photographs for his ROM, as I have no experience before.

I plan to use my my dslr for the shoot but have only the basic equipment: Nikon D40x with 18-55mm (f3.5-5.6) kit lens and only built in flash......

Can u guys give me some tips on how to ensure that the photos dun come out crappy:cry:

Thanks a million.....

engage another photographer for his ROM =)

engage another photographer for his ROM =)

i fully agree...

btw...there is a thread that explains how to take AD too...but i cannot find it already...

If he's expecting you to just help with little or no monetary reward or where he just wants few simple couple shots and such then OK lah, but if he's expecting good results then i suggest u get someone whose done it b4. Such things are once in a lifetime thing and you dont want to ruin it for someone.

If you insist on doing it, at least get a hot shoe flash. Inbuilt flash can be really a pain to use, esp when your lens are long (shows an ugly shadow on the subjects).

You could, of course look at how others do it on the site. Google them.

Z

Thanks a million.....

Dun risk his ROM shots if you're not comfortable. Get someone to take the shots and you can assist as an extra photog. As the main photog, all the pressure is on you to perform and get the shots right. If you **** it up, there's no second chance to retake like a studio shoot...

You'd need an external flash, get extra batteries, extra memory cards and shoot in RAW.

May be you wana toggle between Auto and Aperture priority mode?

Worse advise. changing back and forth will confuse the TS even more.

only good advise this this one :)

er but it worked for me mah...i was in a similar situation before...some photos NOT taken in Auto mode were mess up...those taken in Auto mode saved the day ok....

If your friend doesnt mind. why not?

ask your friend to engage someone who has experience while you tag along and learn.

i am sure you will have other friends who will have the ROM soon.

the thing is that you dun risk losing a friend should you crap up the rom or worse still... images all cmi.

not that we dun trust your skills or knowledge, but its best to NOT make other's ROM a bad memory. ;)

er but it worked for me mah...i was in a similar situation before...some photos NOT taken in Auto mode were mess up...those taken in Auto mode saved the day ok....

it works for u...but does not mean it will work for TS...

you friend ask you to shoot, is happen that you have a DSLR, not because you know how to shoot, to be honest, spend money to hire someone, will never strike in your friend's mind at all.

so your friend don't really concern about will the photo will turn out nice or not, just do whatever you can, don't stress yourself too much.

anyway, check this out.

hope these help

Guys, thanks for the tips and suggestions..:)

Actually when he ask me, i got tell him "wedding- once in a lifetime and i dun want to spolit the moment, that he shld get someone with experience.......". He told me not to worry lar...:sweat: but im going to meet up with him these few days to show him the pics i have taken with my dslr and also pics i take for a previous ROM (also a fren of mine ask me to take but using pns at that time) and then let him decide for himself..

I read the other topics provide by catchlights, with regards to the flash,will the built in flash be sufficient or shld i get an external flash..

Pls also keep your suggestions and tips coming in.. Thanks very much:)

Guys, thanks for the tips and suggestions..:)

Actually when he ask me, i got tell him "wedding- once in a lifetime and i dun want to spolit the moment, that he shld get someone with experience.......". He told me not to worry lar...:sweat: but im going to meet up with him these few days to show him the pics i have taken with my dslr and also pics i take for a previous ROM (also a fren of mine ask me to take but using pns at that time) and then let him decide for himself..

I read the other topics provide by catchlights, with regards to the flash,will the built in flash be sufficient or shld i get an external flash..

Pls also keep your suggestions and tips coming in.. Thanks very much:)

An external flash would be MUCH better than the build in... you can also use it bounced or with other light modifiers... such as a bounce card or a diffuser.

your friend tryin to save $ is it? it's like doin a favour the way i look at it.my friend ask mi too but wedding cancelled at last minute. they try to save on smaller thing which is not really a necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.