Tips for nite shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

oTaRu

Dec 25, 2004
hey guys... as a FZ30 user... i a little dissapointed by myself sia... everything shooting a nite scenery.... the result always came out to have hand shake... even though OIS is switch on.... can anyone guide me?

oTaRu said:
hey guys... as a FZ30 user... i a little dissapointed by myself sia... everything shooting a nite scenery.... the result always came out to have hand shake... even though OIS is switch on.... can anyone guide me?

Maybe it will be good that you post your photos with your settings, so that we can start commenting....for e.g. too slow shutter (which is the most common case), tripod used etc.

Use a tripod, take your time to compose. Use the self-timer to eliminate handshake while pressing the shutter release button.

p1010065.jpg

p1010088.jpg

above are the pics take i have taken... but dunno why... cannot take a gd one... hard to use tripod in this environment... what can be done???

Looks like slight handshake. What's the shutter speed? You can use makeshift "tripod" like a low wall or even on top of a clean dustbin to keep your cam steady.

for exposures any slower than 1/4s with OIS on I guess it's only common sense to use a tripod, or any other stable surfaces.

Hi, some suggestions..

for the above 2 shots you are at 1/2s shutter speed.
even with ois on it is impossible to get steady shots.

increase shutter speed will helps. up your iso if noise not an issue.
my minimum is 1/8s at focal length <50mm to get steady shots, but not 100% everytime.

FZ30 good camera...you need to explore more ;)

Read your extif details and you are using 1/2", which is very slow and thought the OIS is useful, it has its limits, and 1/2" is way too slow.

As huggable said, if no tripod, rest on anything solid...chair, dustbin, tree, railing...anything that can support it, use 2s timer to minimise camerashake

hmmm... as there are no wall or fence for me to make a tripod like... there's the problem... hmm... cant remember what the shutter speed as i use program mode for this...

so for this type of situation... i should use 1/8s shutter speed at least for explosure... in order to reduce hand shake?

Yeah, you could use biggest aparture (f2.8), and let the cam set the shutter speed. Else you can use 'M' mode, choose a faster shutter, and get the shots a little underexposed . Then adjust with PS. Just my suggestion.

Personally, I think the effect of moving vehicles is good, except that the shutter speed is slower than a normal human being can just hand held and shoot.

Loving photography needs sacrifices and patients, I would suggest that if you are taking night shots again next time, do bring along a tripod.

Troublesome? Well, I do bring along my tripod even for my oversea trips - 2.5kg tripod is something that a lot of people will try to avoid, and I insisted in bringing along with me. :)

You can try using a monopod if you find the location does not have sufficient space to put a tripod. Or train your arms to hold the cam steady!

huggable said:
Or train your arms to hold the cam steady!

Eeerrrrr....another VR arms like mine?? ;p ;p

nite shoot equal tripod. Maybe if a dslr which can pump up higher iso still can help. But pana cam so far restrict to iso400.

iso400... free noise too! Watch your camera parts when resting against wall, tree, etc for support. My FZ5 have got some some abrasions due to over-eagerness to get the cam steady!

Or your can "bai" JD as "sifu" for arm training.

oTaRu said:

Many believe you don't need a tripod for night photography when the camera has OIS. I still believe in a fast lens if you want to do away with the tripod especially in dim lighting conditions. A lens with a bigger aperture such as f/2.8 or faster. You will find selecting a suitable camera for hand-held photography is just as important as being able to apply the technique of holding your camera steady without any movement during the exposure.

Exposure can be as slow as 1/30sec to 1/4sec when using ISO 200 depending on the lighting. Always use the biggest aperture available when shooting held-held with the shortest focal length of your lens.

347Fountain_1-med.jpg

In the above shot the camera was hand-held during
the exposure. For the best output, use a sturdy tripod
with remote control or a cable release when you
are handicapped such as having a slow lens. ;p

thanks for the tips~! will get some time to learn again...

hmmm... still got 1 doubt... if i add on the external flash... which will put more weight to the camera... will the weight make the camera more stable when taking shot....? hope can understand my question...

there's no difference.

use a tripod. besides, why would you be using a flash to take night scenery? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.