Tips for Malacca?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
Planning to go end of year to get material for future use.

likely 7 days trip.

is there any locations or spots that would work very well?

What material you looking for?
My quick, not comprehensive suggestion:
1. Street photography: the "red house area"; The old fortress,
2. Building, architecture: The old fortress
3. Night photography: same area, maybe visit alternate day
4. The New eye on Malaysia, the background / neighboring area is a bit dull, but this could be good for training the composition ability.
5. Joker street, night market,
6. Mini Malaysia, a place seldom mentioned, as it has lost some charm, but still, I feel worth for some Malay house photography, could be dull / boring, but again, good for training for composition.

Go to Hereen Street, Ho Gallery, if there is a bicycle outside his shop that means he's inside. Have a nice chat with him and you can shoot his working area, kitchen etc... old shop house. His shop is just few buildings away from Baba & Nyonya Museum.

fort famosa...err...not the water theme park a'famosa...

some of the boutique hotels along jonker st have every nice interior...

I have a book on Malacca.. I read the book as I went around the place. The book gives a history of the place and in particular tells you the story of a number of shop houses there. It is very interesting to know the history and walk around cause its like history alive in front of you

For example, a normal coffeeshop that we walked into for a drink. We flipped the book and realised that they had been toasting bread using charcoal for 3 generations at the same place...and then you are there, watching them do it..or the barber shop, the traditional blacksmith business that had been around for years....generation after generation and there you see the dying trade right before your eyes. The funeral shop...and all..they had been around for a long long time...

There are a lot more of such examples. I think this is what really makes Malacca really really interesting.

Cheng Hoon Teng Temple, one of the oldest temples in Malaysia...do walk in and look at the old old tablets...some of them are from Manchu era..some Manchu officials as well..The place was initially founded by a Ming dynasty captain...and its still functioning today as a temple...so many generations after..

My grandfather and great grandfather used to stay at Heeren too. i really can't describe it, it's like living among them again?? But I cannot confirm the shop house they stayed in, although I managed to narrow down:think:

but then it depends. some of my frds found the book boring and meaningless.:sticktong I guess you need some connection to the place to feel it. Some just want to eat chendol:rolleyes:

Find where Tan Cheng Lock stays, the descendants are still there and they turned the place into Malaqa house, its free for visiting. (I bought the book there, its not cheap, its almost RM200:sweat:) The book has some good description a number of the particular house number..so as you walk, look out for the house number and refer to the book...you will be amazed who used to stay there and what happened to the house..

Before WW2, Japanese actually came and settled down in Malacca..they started as a photography shop there and the rich and famous will go there to take family portraits... but it was rumored that this shop was operated by Japanese spies who were here to feel the ground..

If you are more daring..visit Bukit Cina, one of the oldest Chinese cemetery in Malaysia, you will be surprised how old the tombs are...the cemetery is almost as old as Cheng Hoon Teng era..and the Chinese there resisted any form of relocation till now..and had successfully done so till now..

Finally, a lot of the shop houses are left empty and torn. Surprisingly, they are left in that state because the owners collect birdnest there...sparrows built their nests in the unused shophouses.

You can also see the difference between the shop houses...Dutch influenced,Chinese...and from there, you can agar the era, very distinct features...again that is if you are interested in the features of shop houses...five foot way shophouses are actually newer version..the old ones dun have corridor outside for pple to walk, like some at Bunga Raya

I hope you find the place as interesting as me. I kept going back...

ok, I better stop here, talk too much redi:embrass:

Last edited:
Sorry for digging this up again.

Is there any hotel near this "red house and old fortress area"?

For that matter, between Century Mahkota, Hotel Puri and Hotel Equatorial, which is nearer?

Thank you.

What material you looking for?
My quick, not comprehensive suggestion:
1. Street photography: the "red house area"; The old fortress,
2. Building, architecture: The old fortress
3. Night photography: same area, maybe visit alternate day
4. The New eye on Malaysia, the background / neighboring area is a bit dull, but this could be good for training the composition ability.
5. Joker street, night market,
6. Mini Malaysia, a place seldom mentioned, as it has lost some charm, but still, I feel worth for some Malay house photography, could be dull / boring, but again, good for training for composition.

For that matter, between Century Mahkota, Hotel Puri and Hotel Equatorial, which is nearer?

Thank you.

I know the Hotel Equatorial is near this area because we stayed there. Walk through the parking lot and then you are in the general area (a few museums and then to the old fortress area and then to the red house.

Not sure about the other two hotels.

Thank you.

These few site might help you to estimate
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g306997-d304741-Reviews-Hotel_Puri-Melaka_Melaka_State.html
http://www.malacca.ws/hotelpurimc/location.htm
http://www.asiarooms.com/malaysia/m...ml2p0CFU8wpAodZAwArw&curr=SGD&pv=GOOG_02760SG

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evoltulator/3198491545/

Took that at Jonker walk.. a bit underexposed .. taken 9 months ago when i was a newbie to photography..

The city of Melaka is a marvellous place for any photographer simply because of its rustic charm, culture and people.

There are many craftsmen there and you can do a photo story on how they work.

these cottage industries are dying fast thanks to the rapid industrialization of malaysia..

There are many historic places like Hang Tuah's tomb, Hang Jebat's tomb, Churches, Mosques..

Malacca is like the Istanbul/Constantinople of South East Asia.. I enjoyed every second of it

Last edited:
Btw, I stayed at Hotel Majestic. an amazing hotel. check it out when you hit malacca! :D

Forgot to mention the portuguese community who speak a language called kristang - they make some good food

Thanks for the information.

Appreciate.

Good evening :)

eat a lot!
when i was there, i never disappointed with the food, even at the cheapest food stall...
the food there really good :)

Go stay at the Puri... the interior of the hotel is worth some shots. If you stay in the junior suites or the regular suites, they are good for some shots as well. If you are looking for swallow nests, Puri has a hall with nest and sparrows sleeping in them every evening. It is in the old Baba / Jonker street area, so great for walk-about.

Also, if you are driving there, they have 2 locked parking areas, which are actually old shop houses torn down and used as parking. They are locked and only opened by the hotel security/concierge personnel when you need to drive in or out... so quite safe.

My family love the Zoo Melaka and the Butterfly Farm (has a reptile section as well, and the peacocks there love to show off... one white one and a couple of regular colourful ones... yes... there are birds there too).

But for shopping, Equatorial and Century Mahkota will be nearer the 2 large malls, and Puri right at Jonker Street Antique Area.

Enjoy... :)

Forgot to add... right after you get off the NS hwy at Ayer Keroh and start your drive towards Melaka town, follow the speed limit!!!

The TP are always there with camera or radar gun to shoot/trap you. I seem to always pick up a speeding ticket each time I go to Melaka, either on the NS Hwy within Melaka state, or right after i get off the hwy at the stretch aforementioned... so beware. :)

Great tips. Thanks to all :)

I'm from Malacca and I like to recommend a beach area called Klebang which is a nice place to shoot sunset. I share a few shots with you all.
(I hope I still remember how to post photos. If they don't show up, don't scold me ;p)

Klebang sunset
4052812572_80e7dff26d_m.jpg

Sunset close shot
4052812568_d28aac4f84_m.jpg

Sampan
4052812564_5a99729850_m.jpg

Stroll along the beach
4052812560_8afbe780ec_m.jpg

Like to know how to get there? You know the bridge next to Holiday Inn (or Mahkota Hotel)? Follow that bridge and head NORTH, about 5km away, you will see a beach side next to the road. You can shoot there but that's not where Klebang is. You got to travel a bit further, about 2km more, there is a junction on your left to lead u to the beach. It's not easy for me to describe so it's better that you ask for direction if possible. The beach is called Klebang. Enjoy!!

Thank you for the tips.

[
There are many craftsmen there and you can do a photo story on how they work.

these cottage industries are dying fast thanks to the rapid industrialization of malaysia..

Malacca is a really nice place and I love it there........ but lets get real....... these cottage industries are aimed squarely at tourists.

On the contrary..... rapid industrialization, modernization and growth will ensure the survival of these cottage industries ............ within the tourism industry

i always stay at hotel puri....1 of those nonya baba style hotel ard jonker street...

remember to visit the pizza shop called Coconut House jus a few shops away from Hotel Puri.
they sell wood-stove baked pizza, worth a try beside the perananka cruisine...

Status
Not open for further replies.