Tips for indoor shooting at YOG events?

TroyP

Dec 23, 2008
I'm attending the following YOG events:

Tennis (Kallang Tennis Centre, outdoor @ 3-7pm)
Diving (10m, Toa Payoh Swimming Complex, outdoor @ 8.30pm)
Table Tennis (Singapore Indoor Stadium, all day)
Boxing (International Convention Centre @ 7pm)

My best zoom lens is 70-300mm.
Does anyone have tips on best settings for these sort of environments?
Eg, focus mode (spot, wide, 3D, auto area etc)
Exposure
White balance

Flash cannot be used, and i'm not sure how crowded these events will be, how close I can get to the action, and what sort of lighting will be used at each event :confused:

This is my first sporting event, and won't have the luxury of taking that many shots.
Any help greatly appreciated ;)

Ehhh, 1674 posts and you still haven't seen any of the "there is no magic formula" posts? :p

There are NO BEST SETTINGS as each presents a different challenge, with different lighting depending on your distance and direction. In general, using basic common sense and a very basic understanding of photography, you should know that it would be smart to go to the event, and TEST YOUR SETTINGS to see which combination of aperture and ISO gives you acceptable shutter speed. Like you said, "i'm not sure how crowded these events will be, how close I can get to the action, and what sort of lighting will be used at each event" so how should we know??

For focus, logically you'd be targeting a single athlete? So spot would be good, as your lens may not be fast enough to keep up with moving targets in 3d.

Exposure: Correct exposure, what else? If you apply exposure compensation, it will just bump up shutter speed or aperture.

White balance: How would we know? Use AUTO, or shoot in RAW. Best is to go back a few sentences to where I said you should TEST your settings when you're there.

Last edited:
It really depends on the lighting they will have for those indoor events. Don't even know if they added lights for the YOG or left them as them are.
The best would be for some of the helpful ppl here who have already shot at the locations to chip in on lighting conditions.

You can also ask in the Reportage gallery, where a few CSers have posted event photos.

Some research based on their EXIF data :
Thanks to all those who shared their photos and EXIF (I've posted links to your threads).

Weightlifting thread : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747286
Hmm.. pretty easy life ..... unless the f-stop is at some insane value like f2. :D
# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/400 second ===> 0.0025 second
# Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 0/10 ===> ƒ/0
# Exposure Program = manual control (1)
# ISO Speed Ratings = 640

# ISO Speed Ratings = 400

Gymnastics Thread : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747058
More challenging event due to swift movements.

# Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/800 second ===> 0.00125 second
# Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 4/1 ===> ƒ/4
# Exposure Program = shutter priority (4)
(No ISO info)

Fencing : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746819
another fast one.
# Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 28/10 ===> ƒ/2.8
# ISO Speed Ratings = 1600
# Focal Length = 70/1 mm ===> 70 mm

Fencing and Gymnastics are different venues. Suntec; Bishan;
I'd say that FL varies quite a bit. For the faster action, seems like I'd like the f2.8 and ISO1600 capability is more dependable to have.

Good Luck.

BTW, I'm doing Boxing on Monday ;)

Last edited:
It really depends on the lighting they will have for those indoor events. Don't even know if they added lights for the YOG or left them as them are.
The best would be for some of the helpful ppl here who have already shot at the locations to chip in on lighting conditions.

You can also ask in the Reportage gallery, where a few CSers have posted event photos.

Some research based on their EXIF data :
Thanks to all those who shared their photos and EXIF (I've posted links to your threads).

Weightlifting thread : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747286
Hmm.. pretty easy life ..... unless the f-stop is at some insane value like f2. :D
# ISO Speed Ratings = 640

# ISO Speed Ratings = 400

Gymnastics Thread : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747058
More challenging event due to swift movements.

# Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 4/1 ===> ƒ/4
# Exposure Program = shutter priority (4)
(No ISO info)

Fencing : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746819
another fast one.
# Lens F-Number / F-Stop = 28/10 ===> ƒ/2.8
# ISO Speed Ratings = 1600
# Focal Length = 70/1 mm ===> 70 mm

Fencing and Gymnastics are different venues. Suntec; Bishan;
I'd say that FL varies quite a bit. For the faster action, seems like I'd like the f2.8 and ISO1600 capability is more dependable to have.

Good Luck.

BTW, I'm doing Boxing on Monday ;)

Ah, thanks. Well I asked to see if anyone had shot in similar lighting before, or if anyone here had been to some events at these locations already.

I'll be going boxing tues night, as I have 2 full days on the weekend and would like a rest!

I figured I may have to up my ISO, but not sure how fast my shutter speed will be, since my lens is cheap, and not that fast. 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 (approx $700).
Looks like i'll need at least 1/400sec, so my ISO might end up around 1600 :confused:

Thanks, I had read something similar when I was going for Formula Drift event, it refreshed my mind :)

most venue are brightly lighted, esp those with live broadcast...so the lighting should be good enough for camera.
with your zoom lense, get a tripod! :)