Tips for doing panning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blizzy

May 18, 2002
Bedok South
www.flickr.com
Tried to do some panning shots today..... didnt quite come out that nice...

wat kinda settings do u use? small aperture? wat shutter speed. any tips?

1/50, or 1/60 in bright daylight conditions. keep your viewfinder locked on the subject, in continuous drive mode.

and... practice, practice, practice! :)

use a tripod with a pan head. practise.

small aperture?

since the panned background is going to become blur=>aperture will have almost no effect =>use shutter priority mode

anywhere from 1 second to 1/30

HI there...

Check the artical about Panning with S10 that is found at the clubsnap artical section...

The main idea is to use a slow shutter where possible. IF you using digital camera.... You can try out practicing with different slower speeds with your hand(palm) first.

Set the camera to aim and lock focus on your palm (e.g left palm as subject and right palm holding the camera....

Move the left palm as if its a moving car with the background and use the camera to track and then release the shutter and follow through ....to ger the hand of the panning action....

This will help....in giving you a feel on how slow a shutter you want to use.....to get the best effect...

You can even roll a ball or battery on the table and practice the panning technique

Try it out....its fun........

Regards,
Sulhan

1/4sec works wells for me,just follow the panning throughout the whole procedure of releasing the shutter at the same speed of the subject.

i also want to ask q? about panning i also tried today argghh wasted all 36 of them...

when doing panning if i read correctly about yr posts does that mean i must pre-focus on the area the subjects gonna move in or can i focus and shoot at the same time??

by focus i mean like press yr shutter half-way.. my camera terms are not very good..

secondly use manual focus correct or not???that' what i used today didnt turn out well or shoul i actually use auto-focus???

klein, where were you shooting?

03-06-15-9241-merckx.jpg

Sehsuan, u can great panning shots.
So forgive the beginner answers but i'm trying to learn by helping.

Klein: I think it's advisable to prefocus where u expect your subject to be first (if your camera don't have that al servo function, dunno what it means tho).

manual maybe?

Then when u see your subject appearing where u planned it to appear, press on the shutter release, and follow your subject's path until the shutter closes.

Oh yar, you are on shutter priority from either 1/8 to 1/30; haven't tried longer exposure. But i heard that longer exposure, the blurrer the background, the nicer the pan shot.

I haven't had one good pan shot but I'll still try.

Am i correct? :embrass:

Good luck

Sehsuan, u can great panning shots.
So forgive the beginner answers but i'm trying to learn by helping.

thanks, but actually that was my single best panning shot. not sure if i can get another one this clear again :(

Klein: I think it's advisable to prefocus where u expect your subject to be first (if your camera don't have that al servo function, dunno what it means tho).

manual maybe?

manual could be the best solution for a non-slr (and slrs too) - because most digicams use a contrast detection method to lock on for focus in a picture - so by the time if you try to pan, the focus is already locked on to a different distance than it is 0.5 seconds later, so manual is a good way to try. :)

Oh yar, you are on shutter priority from either 1/8 to 1/30; haven't tried longer exposure. But i heard that longer exposure, the blurrer the background, the nicer the pan shot.

i've only tried out panning using 1/50 to 1/60, 1/8 would be wonderful, but it sure would be hard. challenging but worith it. :)

hi guys,
this is for the newbies.

Using a low to moderate dof (f2.8/f3.5/5.6)is advisable as you will want to achieve a semi decent shutter speed to freeze your subject as it will most probably be moving quite fast. (But keep in mind you want adequate depth of field so your hyper focal distance* will definitely get your subject in focus.

*Hyperfocal distance- is the distance that will be in focus within your lense range.

5.6 4 2.8 4 5.6
| | | | |
[---------------------------------]

now lets assume your subject moves from left to right at a certain speed.

tip #1
your subject will usually be on a path that can be estimated at your position
-> That means you can prefocus at a desired spot that you guess the subject will pass by.

tip #2
auto focus usually has pretty bad tracking so i'd suggest manually pre focusing and not worrying about it anymore.

tip #3
use your shoulders to pan, not your body, your lower half of the body does not move, your top half does. so imagine you're a tripod head locked vertically and can only pan left to right.

(This is the path your subject will take)
-----------------------------------------------

--|--------------------------------------------

When your subject is at this position, your shoulders should follow it with your camera pointing at subject.

------------|----------------------------------

when your subject is at this postion, you should have already starting panning your shoulders with camera directed at subject. you are READY to trigger the shutter.

-----------------------|-----------------------

TRIGGER THE SHUTTER!!!!! BUT dont stop panning!

--------------------------------|--------------

Now remember, you need to follow through in all that you do.

--------------------------------------------|--

And you have your perfect pan shot locked up in the camera, send it to the lab and admire the shots. :)

enjoy
feng

Status
Not open for further replies.