Tips for capturing nurses at work.

Duinchlfc

Aug 29, 2006
Sengkang
Hi there guys,i need some help in capturing nurses in their natural environments aka the hospital.Im helping a friend out to get some pics for his project and i have full permission from the hospital.What do i look out for and how should i go about doing it? I'm mainly a events photographer but this is something new.Do share your thoughts,cheers!

you should discuss with your friend what he need,s what kind of photos he wants,
we have no ideal about what project he is doing, have no head no tail how do we can help you?

btw, if you photography the nurses nursing patients, you need permission from the patients as well.

just take care that you are extra sensitive of the patients' feelings. as soon as you see that any patient feel uncomfortable with you shooting, just stop and move on. I think they are quiet vulnerable at that stage.

other than that, i think it's nice to project the nurses in good light. they are really a great bunch of people, they do the dirty work that even the patient's own family members will not want to do.

so, go have fun shooting the nurses and give them the recognition that the nurses deserve

Thanks for the reminder on the patients part :) Once i get more details,i'll drop in again to ask what techniques or methods i can use to not draw too much attention.

If I am not wrong, there is a consent form that patients need to sign before you can take their pictures/videos for various uses, with clearance from the higher ups.

Take note not to get in their way, what they are doing is definitely more important than what you are doing.

you need to hang out around the hospital for a bit to get accustomed to the surroundings, how people behave and make friends. so when the time comes for you to do your job it'll be easier.

and since the hospital is a quiet environment for recuperation... i'd suggest to leave the flashlights at home. you don't want to startle people unnecessarily. also, if your gears are the noisy types, you might want to switch to the quieter ones.

i would suggest approaching this subject street-style. you don't want them to act anything out of the norm (like extra fluff and stuff), since you want them RAW.

by the way your thread title sounds a little wrong :sweat:

^ haha i thought he was going to hook up with some nurses too!

Wow you got permission from the hospital to Capture their nurses. Got lobang for OL? :p

u can shoot something like this without showing the patient's face.

pardon my illustration:

| blind | _bed_ <nurse attending to the patient>

u can shoot from this angle so u only show the mid->lower body of the patient while you can see a full body of the nurse. If the room got other patients in the background, you can probably shoot at wider aperture to blur out the background.

some samples here that u can refer to:
http://www.google.com.sg/search?hl=...&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

but also do ask your friend what kind of photos he is looking at.

Last edited:
you need to hang out around the hospital for a bit to get accustomed to the surroundings, how people behave and make friends. so when the time comes for you to do your job it'll be easier.

and since the hospital is a quiet environment for recuperation... i'd suggest to leave the flashlights at home. you don't want to startle people unnecessarily. also, if your gears are the noisy types, you might want to switch to the quieter ones.

i would suggest approaching this subject street-style. you don't want them to act anything out of the norm (like extra fluff and stuff), since you want them RAW.

by the way your thread title sounds a little wrong :sweat:

Yeah haha....capture in images,not capture in cages like Planet of the apes style ;)

So would a telezoom help since i'm shooting from a distance so the subject won't really know who i am aiming at?

So would a telezoom help since i'm shooting from a distance so the subject won't really know who i am aiming at?

That's not a good way. The better way is to have some chit chat with the patient first & get friendly, and then tell him/her that you're shooting some photos for the hospital and ask him/her whether it is ok for you to take his/her picture with the nurse.

You might want to consider shooting from the bedside upwards, and focus on the nurse(s) with wide open apertures, so that the nurses are in focus, but not the patient.

as mentioned previously... we have no idea what u want.

but if it was me, i'll strongly dissuade u shooting the typical advertising style...