Tips for a new photographer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

corneliustoh

Dec 16, 2008
Changi
Hi ClubSNAP. I just registered into ClubSNAP and about to get my hands on my
DSLR. A Canon EOS 450D Kit or Canon EOS 1000D Twin Lens Kit. Probably going to
Funan/ Penisular Area to look at Alan Photo and Cathay Photo to see. Any good and affordable
lens to recommend? All comments appreciated.

Funan/ Penisular Area to look at Alan Photo and Cathay Photo to see. Any good and affordable

abit diff for us to recommend lor...

if u hav a higher budget, got for 450D kit

lower budget go for the 1000D kit also can...

Well, best is for u to go down n try them out b4 u make ur decision.

As for lens....u can start wif the 18-55 IS kit lens (for walkaround lens) plus a 55-250 IS for dat zooooom..... like dat gd enough for beginner lor.:)

for us to help you, you'll need to tell us your budget.

Pay a bit more , get a nikon d90 or a alpha 350/300 ?

I think you should stick to your kit lens(es) first?

Give yourself some time to explore, unless you're dead sure on what type of lens you want?

Pay a bit more , get a nikon d90 or a alpha 350/300 ?

haha! i'm guessing you're anti-canon! :bsmilie:

to TS.
soon, you will be infected with BBB virus!

Last edited:
If budget allows.. Get 450D instead of 1000D...
18-55 + 55-250 lens combo is a nice combo to start up with..

Welcome

READ MORE - in your case, you need to read more on the pros and cons on each model.
SHOOT more
Post more

and also try them out and see which feels best for you.

It's good to start basic, the trick is to minimise the damage to your pocket first, explore with your basic set:

Explore, listen, absorb, equip, then execute.

Usually, when people start shooting, they don't have a strong idea of what genre they'd eventually stick to in the later stages of their journey in photography.

Thus, it's advisable to have a very basic set that fulfills general shooting requirements. then as tastes and techniques develop, then maybe you'd be ready to go into those areas, and procure more specialized equipment and lenses.

The body + 2 lens combo is a good buy to start out. Getting more and better equipment helps if you have stronger requirements later in the future - while there is still some use for your starter set - which has the potential to serve as a back up.

Suggest that you stick to this combo first, then as you go along, for any lenses in future, it's good to look in the Buy/Sell department of this website - this allows you to fiddle with a few lenses but the damage to your pocket won't be as great as buying a brand new one - unless you've got a strong sense of direction on what you want to shoot and do, or making long term investments in equipment.

Good lenses and equipment help by turning invisible and getting out of the way of the photographer when he's making photos, but they alone wouldn't guarantee good photography. ;)

Cheers,

i won´t recommend any lens except one that you really want to buy

buying for the sake of buying is like burning money

and anyone that tells you otherwise wants your second hand lens

if you don´t know what to buy, wait and see

if you never find out, then stick to what you have, because you are content and that is something a lot of people cannot be

If you are photographer, buy extended full coverage warranty. If you are casual shooter, just get extended warranty anyway.

yo thanks for all the comments! thinking of getting the Sigma 50-500 for zooming which costs like less than $400? maybe get the EF 50 1.8 II also, the cheapest of all lens...
and is third party lens reliable? can it be compatible with a 450D?

take note yours is a crop camera. unless you know what you are doing, i recommend get original lenses from Canon.
as for all beginners, i recommend either 18-200mm or 18-55 + 55-250mm setups. Once you know what you want, no problem liao.

use ur kit lens and read your manual so that you know your camera ins and outs. then get some books on basic photography.

my 1 cents worth.

Stick with the kit lens if on budget. Shoot for a year after that you will know what lens you need to get but if got money to spare get the 55-250 also. This combo will last you for a long long time.

i like that tips for a photographer,cause i want to be an photographer,:bheart:

yo thanks for all the comments! thinking of getting the Sigma 50-500 for zooming which costs like less than $400? maybe get the EF 50 1.8 II also, the cheapest of all lens...
and is third party lens reliable? can it be compatible with a 450D?

Not very recommended to get the lens as u just start up...
Like what most ppl say, get either 18-200 or 18-55 + 55-250 to start out, then slowly explore what kind of lens and range u really need...

Like everyone else has mentioned. stick to the kits for a start. Get the bsics right first before proceeding. Read the manual and the stikies that is available. I would recommend getting other accessories like external flash and a good tripod. This is what you should look out for first before even thinking abt premium lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.