Tips and pointers for DSLR newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

togu

Jul 11, 2002
@ D08
www.tommygui.com
Prepare to spend a bomb on lenses, flash, compact flash cards.

Take time to read through all the post-processing techniques posted here esp. on sharpening. You will need them. :D

Falcon said:
Take time to read through all the post-processing techniques posted here esp. on sharpening. You will need them. :D

Do I need an electric desktop sharpener to go with my pro DSLR? :D

Don't expect your images to come out tack sharp all the time. Some post processing of the images is needed. A good knowledge of Photoshop techniques is recommended.

Also, there are lots of good books on photography out there, specifically on slr photography. Read and understand/learn the basics of slr photography first.

Do not buy blindly! (especially lenses!) As someone else had mentioned before, if you don't know what it is for, don't buy it. Take some time and sit back and think of what you would want to use the camera for, learn and read up about the different type of lenses available, and if in doubt, you can always ask in this forum before taking the plunge. There are lots of experienced people in here who can give you invaluable advice.

Last but not least, read the user manual from cover to cover. :)

togu said:
Prepare to spend a bomb on lenses, flash, compact flash cards.

Absolutely right. To spend on a SLR/DSLR, but to stinge on good lens is misguided.

If cannot spend the money for good lens, rather carry a PnS Yashica or a good rangefinder, because the pictures that come out from these will be far better than the kit lens that manufacturers lure people with.

Be a moron. Fits in with the crowd nicely. =P

Keep ur expectation low & be prepared to put in more effort in post-processing...U wont get award winning shots just becoz u have a whiz bang DSLR...Unless ur easily content with mediocre images, there are many techniques tat u need to learn in order to get the best from ur camera...

Master ur tools well... :D

advice?

- read the manual cover to cover.
- shoot lots of pics
- experiment with different settings
- use the grey matter between your ears (this helps from getting flammed in such forums.)
- study the works of others
- avoid lens/gear envy. (you will soon discover that this can be much, much more expensive than the naughty bits kind of envy.)
- the latest gear doesn't make a good photographer
- the latest gear doesn't make the best pictures

what the... This is the same advice i got when i bought my first SLR 10 years ago! :think:

buy a flash, it's the most underrated thing. the thin red line (or gold, whichever) can't beat a good strong flash in saving ur "Girl at the Beach" series :D

Most important in photography is an understanding of light, the interplay of aperture and shutter speed and the specicific uses of lenses.
This is my humble advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.