Tipping - a discussion and comments thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
Tipping keeps getting brought up in the papers every now and then. Singaporeans travelling abroad complain about this... We need to understand the cultural and circumstancial differences.

Countries like USA, parts of Europe etc rely on tips. It is part of the price of the meal.

In USA it is about 15%. In Europe, about 10% or at least let the person keep the small change.

I hope none of our members here are cheapos...

Cheers

Last edited:
I been to counties in SE Asia mostly.... only 2 times to Aust & once to NZ.

I tip most on my trip to SE Asia.... because a small $2-5 SGD trip could really bring out a smile in most part of Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines... etc. While the same amount would hardly do anything in 1st world countries. :sweat:

You would need about 20% in USA to get a smile from some of them. :(

Well I am afraid you are doing it in the wrong places...

This is a problem we face in tours abroad.

I have seen someone slip a guide 50Y, and to him it was a HUGE amount, but the guide gave it back in disgust...

He then remarked that Singaporeans were so stingy...

Hence these days, many tours to Japan and Korea stipulate a fixed tip which becomes part of the package price, since we tip so poorly.

Remember that in places like USA, it is part of their pay.

Cheers!
I been to counties in SE Asia mostly.... only 2 times to Aust & once to NZ.

I tip most on my trip to SE Asia.... because a small $2-5 SGD trip could really bring out a smile in most part of Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines... etc. While the same amount would hardly do anything in 1st world countries. :sweat:

Well, I guess its boil down to your own preference on how much tips to give... In Singapore, tipping is not necessary because we already pay the 10% service charge... and i think Garment do not like us to tip because they want to regulate everything right down to standardising the amount to tip...

However, when we are overseas, if you realise... most places do not charge any service charges.... That's where the tips come in...

In such circumstances, if you feel the service and the quality of the product (be it food or anything) is perfect.. it is alright to tip more even up to 20% or more...

Of course, if you are unhappy with the service, of course dont be stupid to still give tips...

Same thing applies to tour guides and drivers that we hire overseas... There was once i was in Mongolia and me and my friends hire this driver for 8 days to drive us around the country... But his attitude and service is damn bad... In the end, we voted not to tip him anything because of his poor service... Imagine 8 days and no tips at all...

Asian countries do not have tipping as a norm.

The fact is this. The tipping/service charge is already priced in. It used to be that tour group leaders/drivers etc would ask for tips, now it's a requirement?!?

Also bell boys/service staff at the hotels live on tips? I'm not too sure about that.

Bro
That is a fact and a way of life in USA.
Their hourly pay is less than what kids make in Macs...
Cheers
Asian countries do not have tipping as a norm.

Also bell boys/service staff at the hotels live on tips? I'm not too sure about that.

I have seen someone slip a guide 50Y, and to him it was a HUGE amount, but the guide gave it back in disgust...

Hence these days, many tours to Japan and Korea stipulate a fixed tip which becomes part of the package price, since we tip so poorly.

Cheers!

Yah... due to the lack of tipping in Singapore, i would agree that Singaporean dont know how to tip at all... Sometimes, they still tip even when they dislike the service.. sometimes they think that the 50Y is a damn big deal to people... Thats the disadvantages of these Garment policies....

I am in general favourable to bring back tipping in Singapore... Because i do not like to pay the 10% service charge when i encounter bad service... And i feel that tipping can bring about an increase in the service qualities of the industries...

Last edited:
Think of this thread as subtle way of helping our members who probably travel often to behave correctly instead of being the typical Stingy SG...

Create a positve impression as a good citizen should that not all of us are cheapskates who did not do our homework before going away...

Cheers

Cheers!

Understand that while it is 'part of their pay' in US or Europe.... it doen't mean that I or others could afford to pay 20% extra for tips. Or do you expect a salegirl earning $300+ SGD in Thailand coming over for the 1st time to S'pore.... paying the bellboy $10SGD for carrying her bags ?? And do you think the bellboy would feel happy if he was given $1SGD ?? :sweat:

I agree that some S'poreans do not know how to tips..... but do remember that not everyone could afford to tips as much in USD or Euro or even Yen as the local wanted.... While some of us have to save a few years inorder to go for a trip to such 1st world countries.... again, it doesn't means that we have so much extra $$$$ to tips like Kings/Queens.

Think of this thread as subtle way of helping our members who probably travel often to behave correctly instead of being the typical Stingy SG...

Create a positve impression as a good citizen should that not all of us are cheapskates who did not do our homework before going away...

Cheers

No offence TS.... but while I agree that S'poreans should not becomes 'Ugly S'poreans' the moment the leave S'pore, and should tip according to what they could afforded ..... I feel that your idea of 'tipping till the locals are happy' does not consider the fact that could we afford it or not ?? And to labelled S'porean as 'Cheapskates' just because we can't afford that extra $10 USD isn't correct too. :nono:

Last edited:
I think the world has changed a lot in the last 20 years, so no one should still think that tipping in USA/Europe is part of their salary.

Sure bro

But I gotta tell you, these tips should be part of your budget. I am referring to USA / Europe of course.

Otherwise, avoid the places which require tips.

EG: Cafes, restuarants, taxis, porters and fancy hotels.

Places like Macs, are fine.

Cheers

Understand that while it is 'part of their pay' in US or Europe.... it doen't mean that I or others could afford to pay 20% extra for tips. Or do you expect a salegirl earning $300+ SGD in Thailand coming over for the 1st time to S'pore.... paying the bellboy $10SGD for carrying her bags ?? And do you think the bellboy would feel happy if he was given $1SGD ?? :sweat:

I agree that some S'poreans do not know how to tips..... but do remember that not everyone could afford to tips as much in USD or Euro or even Yen as the local wanted.... While some of us have to save a few years inorder to go for a trip to such 1st world countries.... again, it doesn't means that we have so much extra $$$$ to tips like Kings/Queens.

As I said bro...
We have a cultural gap.
Here we feel that tipping is extra...
The charge should be part of your travel expenses. Not an extra cost that surprises you when you arrive. Just like paying 5 euros for coca cola in Florence.
Whereas we need to get used to the fact that it is a part of their pay over there.

Otherwise you will naturally feel offended to be asked to tip - think of it as part of the cost of the meal, like sales tax or VAT in USA or Europe.

We really have a bad reputation. And at Clubsnap, we can start the change - as MJ said - make that change :)

No offence TS.... but while I agree that S'poreans should not becomes 'Ugly S'poreans' the moment the leave S'pore, and should tip according to what they could afforded ..... I feel that your idea of 'tipping till the locals are happy' does not consider the fact that could we afford it or not ?? And to labelled S'porean as 'Cheapskates' just because we can't afford that extra $10 USD isn't correct too. :nono:

Last edited:
I'm divided. On the one hand, in tipping in places like the US gives people incentive to provide good service. But if the patron doesn't tip properly (and possibly because of forgetfulness, ignorance), then there's potential for unhappy experience to follow - e.g. patron gets obviously black looks and is left bewildered on what happened.

On the other hand, in places like Singapore with the 10% service charge builtinto the system, you can get extremes. Sometimes service is amazing. Other times, it's just bad because there's no incentive for the service providers.

My take: I slightly prefer the Singapore-type system with built-in service charges. However, the feedback loop in these dining establishments must be better than what we've currently got.

i prefer the dick soloman method: good service, extra dollar, better service, more extra dollar. bad service...down goes the dollar...

Understand that tips are important in western like US and certain Europe
But I never been to US

In my very 1srt time to Europe recently, most of the time I ate sandwiches... :bsmilie: Seldom visit proper restaurant...

There is only once, in a road side low end cafe, tip them 1 Euro (11 Euro bill, give 12, keep the change), so it is about 9%...

I would say, I tip to my ability. I save very hard for my trip, I wish I can, but I cannot afford the tips. It may seems selfish, but why make myself difficult to please others?

i'm only afraid that sometimes we tip in the wrong place

in japan, they feel it's their duty to service you

so if you tip them, they get rather taken aback.

they feel they don't need the money, i guess.

I would say, I tip to my ability. I save very hard for my trip, I wish I can, but I cannot afford the tips. It may seems selfish, but why make myself difficult to please others?

I believe that most of us do that too..... We just can't be expected to tip till the other person is 'Happy'.... when will it end ?? :sweat:

I believe that most of us do that too..... We just can't be expected to tip till the other person is 'Happy'.... when will it end ?? :sweat:

like that our pockets die already...:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.