Tioman Island..

waladjam

Feb 8, 2008
North of Singapore
Dear Members,

I have a scheduled to Tioman Island for R & R end of the month. Any tips from members who willing to share location where I can shoot nature landscape (sunrise and sunset) or macro photography? I have not been there before and this trip will be my first time. :)

Thanks a mill.

Cheers
Walj

Which resort are u going? I will b able to better advise knowing where you will b putting up

Which resort are u going? I will b able to better advise knowing where you will b putting up

Hi Crabball,

I'll be going with my office. Let me check with my admin if they have made any reservation with any resort. FYI some of them will be going for diving. I cannot dive but I was thinking to shoot landscape or macro, i.e. butterfly, dragonfly or damselfly if I can find there. I will let you know or PM you once I have the reply. Thanks in advance. :cool:

Cheers.
Walj

Hi Edutilos & Crabball,

Yes! I was just about to reply to Crabball's queries. FYI, I'll be staying in Paya Beach Resort..

Thanks a mill guys.

Cheers.
Walj

Paya Beach Resort's beach faces West IIRC. Can only get sunset.

You can try to try for sunrise but from my research at that time, you would have to trek across forest to get to other side of island. Maybe you can get a boat, but... In any case, it seemed like too much trouble at that time, since I was there to relax with my loved one. So I passed and got up on the Paya Beach side earlier to see if there was nice light. It rained, so I went back to bed. :bsmilie:

Edutilos is correct. Paya beach can only take sunset. In fact, most kampong n resorts are located on the western side due to shelter from opensea n thus, strong waves.

Sunrise will b blocked by tioman island itself. U can consider taking a speedboat out to coral island for some landscape , island shots. There is also monitor lizard on coral island.

As for macro, I would advise u not to enter the jungle there as it is untouched n quite dangerous if u are not prepared. Need a parang, ur number 4 n a buddy if u intend to venture into the jungle. Wild boars n mousedeer can be found in the jungle as well as an assortment of snakes, spiders n the occasional monitor lizard... lol

There is a waterfall on tioman that u can take a water taxi to visit n have some nice shots.

Will post some photos taken at salang kampong later today for ur reference

Paya Beach Resort's beach faces West IIRC. Can only get sunset.

You can try to try for sunrise but from my research at that time, you would have to trek across forest to get to other side of island. Maybe you can get a boat, but... In any case, it seemed like too much trouble at that time, since I was there to relax with my loved one. So I passed and got up on the Paya Beach side earlier to see if there was nice light. It rained, so I went back to bed. :bsmilie:

Hi Edutilos,

Thanks for sharing your experience and tips. It was very helpful for me. I appreciate!

Cheers. ;)
Walj

Last edited:
Edutilos is correct. Paya beach can only take sunset. In fact, most kampong n resorts are located on the western side due to shelter from opensea n thus, strong waves.

Sunrise will b blocked by tioman island itself. U can consider taking a speedboat out to coral island for some landscape , island shots. There is also monitor lizard on coral island.

As for macro, I would advise u not to enter the jungle there as it is untouched n quite dangerous if u are not prepared. Need a parang, ur number 4 n a buddy if u intend to venture into the jungle. Wild boars n mousedeer can be found in the jungle as well as an assortment of snakes, spiders n the occasional monitor lizard... lol

There is a waterfall on tioman that u can take a water taxi to visit n have some nice shots.

Will post some photos taken at salang kampong later today for ur reference

Hi Crabball,

Thanks for your tips and all the feedback. I appreciate it very much to you and Edutilos in responding to my queries. Hope weather is good. I wish you guys can be with me to shoot together in a group - I'll be alone as my colleague don't seem have the same interest.

Cheers. ;)
Walj

Sorry bro, end of month I am still in bali. Lol. Have a good trip n enjoy urself :)

Have a good trip n do post ur photos to share :)

Have a good trip n do post ur photos to share :)

Bad news! my trip to Tioman next week has been postponed to next year due to the recent tragedy of 2 singaporean drown during diving outing last Saturday 7-Sept.
:(