Ting Ting Candy Seller Whereabout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mezzotint

Dec 27, 2004
Balestier area
martinliew.zenfolio.com
Hi CSers, I just watched Ah Xian Ren Qing Wei 阿贤人情味, a Malaysian produced show on Malaysian food culture TV program. IN that episode, the show featured Ting Ting Candy Seller and the process of making the candy.

I used to eat those candy when I was in kindergarten. My Dad also told me he saw one Ting Ting Candy Seller many months ago at Boon Keng market area.

I'm seeking some help from CSers, if any of you have seen anyone selling Ting Ting Candy. You can easily recognise the candy seller when you hear him cutting up the candy with a small hammer and a chisel to cut the candy into small pieces, from a distance. The name Ting Ting Candy came about from the sounds created when cutting up the candy.

Do kindly let me know if you have any information. Thank you very much. :)

maybe can check out pasar malam....might have lor:think:

go to old serangoon central...Kovan MRT...just bought the ting ting candy and other sweeties there...be warned tho...last time when mata wear shorts...sold cheaply...now ex......meant to say the shopping centre above the mrt

Chinatown. people's park the building beside OG got.

Anyone seen the old lady selling this brown sticky candy @ Hollandvee lately? :(

I went to Holland Village in the first quarter of 2009 and saw that old lady. I even bought a candy stick from her for a dollar. I was there to take some street portraits of 2 cobblers situated a few metres away from the old lady. I wanted to take some fotos of her but I didn't. She's very old. I guess she's about 80 years old.

Anyway coming back to "Ting Ting" candy seller, I do appreciate u guys for sharing yr past experiences. I can't remember when was the last time I bought the candy, but I do know it was about 3 - 4 years ago. Can't remember the location. Yes price has certainly gone up as this is the 21st century and Singapore's standard of living is getting so high and still going higher. One packet of "Ting ting" candy estimatedly cost about $1.20.

Hahaha.... Yeah back in the old days when mata wears shorts. One packet cost 20 cents only. It tasted better, sweeter and QQ than present day, which are harder to chew and have a different taste. :)

Keep the news coming guys! I'll be bumping up this thread often so more CSers and readers are aware of and can help to inform me of any present-day "Ting ting" candy seller's whereabout. Thank you very much. :)

Last edited:
I saw a Ting Ting candy seller below my void deck abt 3wks back ...

To those who lives around serangoon area, he did mention that he usually operate at the void deck opp Yangzheng Primary School when the kids knock off from school...

maybe can check out pasar malam....might have lor:think:
This is really a dying trade..
Not all pasar malam sells this.

There's one at Woodlands MRT. Maybe can try there? :dunno:

It depends. Sometimes the seller is not there, sometimes the seller is there.
I was there today, not in sight. 1 week ago, I was there, the seller was there.

You must try your luck. ;)

I saw a Ting Ting candy seller below my void deck abt 3wks back ...

To those who lives around serangoon area, he did mention that he usually operate at the void deck opp Yangzheng Primary School when the kids knock off from school...

Well, it's pity that it's school holiday and the candy seller would probably on holiday too. Hopefully he will operate around Serangoon Bus Interchange area.

Thanks Akatsuki for the info. :)

This is really a dying trade..
Not all pasar malam sells this.

There's one at Woodlands MRT. Maybe can try there? :dunno:

Hi shaoken, did u mean that currently there's a "Ting Ting" candy seller operating at Woodlands MRT vicinity?

Please kindly clarify. Thank you. :)

Hi shaoken, did u mean that currently there's a "Ting Ting" candy seller operating at Woodlands MRT vicinity?

Please kindly clarify. Thank you. :)
Sorry, i meant that I'm not too sure whether does it sells. I've not stepped into pasar malam for ages (more than a yr).
But if u stay near woodlands mrt, don't mind hugo it a try. ;)

yup...i bought that yesterday...sold by sino-chinese lady. she sells the 'dragon beard' too, 1st floor lobby where there are many carts/ stalls...

Dude you should check out novena square during festive seasons. I almost always see the ting tings outside kfc.

Status
Not open for further replies.