Timor Leste aka East Timor thread

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
Since I am going to this country soon, I am starting this thread to get some info on this place.

It seems we need a visa for this place, which is issued on arrival.

30-day visa issued upon arrival for US$30.

It runs on 220v 50hz, but there are at least 4 wall socket types.

Consider all tap water and ice as highly suspect (bottled water is widely available) and do as the locals do: wipe off any water from the tops of beverage cans before drinking.

hi ptr

did you make the trip?

am going to timor leste this may
do you have tips to share esp hotels
safe, clean and convenient walking dist to
makan places
what are the must visit attractions

cheers

Yes, I will visit again in October, it's mainly for mission work though, so I didn't see too much.
I stayed at Hotel California, yes cute name, and it's pretty decent.
Everything is imported, so things cost more there, and you pay in USD.
Wiki has a lot of useful info that you should read..
I suggest sea related stuff, plus the Christ the King statue.

I didn't get to try much cuisine, sorry.

Here's a little pm from a friend:

USD is the de-facto currency and only recent USD notes. You get a Visa upon arrival at the airport. Pay in USD cash only.

No standard plugs. If you are staying in a hotel, they have adaptors available for the common types of plug.

Communication network there is very poor. Basic internet only. Check with your telco if any roaming available there. You may need to bring along a simple phone, and buy a pre-paid card when there to contact friends as land lines are few.

Bring along your driver's license as you may need to drive while there. It is right hand drive in ET. If going off-road on 4WD, take the full insurance package. The roads there are treacherous, bad condition and unlit at night once out of Dili.

Having said this, there is a Singapore owned restaurant by the sea, near the Jesus statue. Good fresh seafood and cheap too!

Thanks for the info. how many photos you
need for the Visa on Arrival?

Shall write a JBR after my trip

Cheers

Yes, I will visit again in October, it's mainly for mission work though, so I didn't see too much.
I stayed at Hotel California, yes cute name, and it's pretty decent.
Everything is imported, so things cost more there, and you pay in USD.
Wiki has a lot of useful info that you should read..
I suggest sea related stuff, plus the Christ the King statue.

I didn't get to try much cuisine, sorry.

I highly reccomend the following :

Flights : Go Direct from Singapore, TUE, THUR and SAT ! ( see : www.air-timor.com ( they using Silkair as a charter :) ) book there or see their extensive global agents list. )

Accom : Hotel Ramelau, Hotel California, Discovery Hotel, Hotel Timor.

Land Tours : Eco Discovery, Timor Mega Tours, Timor Adventures, Island Explorer Holidays.

Water Tours : Compass Charters.

Diving Tours : Dive Timor Lorosae.

Car Hire : Two main places forgot their names though. ( Note - Must have an International Driving Permit now. )

Local Expat Newspaper (free) : Guide Post Magazine

Shopping Mall / Key Shops : 1 only - Timor Plaza , Alola Foundation for local crafts & supports protection of women.

Supermarkets : Landmark ( SG Family Owned ), Timor Plaza Shopping mall has a few others.

Key things to bring home : Coffee Beans - Beans or Ground, Tais - Local weaving, Honey - great and can take 2L away.

Last edited: