Times are bad..

Status
Not open for further replies.

cairnjose

Apr 19, 2007
Bed ok
Took this photo in Macau 2 months ago.
I want to show the despondency of the stallholder in the pic.

DSC_8095c.jpg

Setting: Aperture mode, f/4.5, speed 1/50s, ISO 800, WB Auto and no flash.

Would like to seek your honest critique on the following:-
1) Composition
2) Colour
3) Exposure
4) Tones
5) Would B&W be a better choice?

Thanks in advance!:cheers:

Let me ask what you think of your own image in terms of
1) Composition
2) Colour
3) Exposure
4) Tones

Where do you think it stands strong and where do you think it flops?

Last edited:
Nice, I like it.:thumbsup:

IMHO, i tink its abti underexposed on the bottom and left

I think this is a nice picture...

I can tell time are really bad in your picture.

got feel in this picture.

I dun think B&W will make it better.

There's too much shadow ( obviously no details ) and I think the pic is underexposed. What if you shoot the pic with more foreground to emphasize the emptiness ? Maybe empty table and chairs may enhance the mood that you wanted. The posture of the hawker reveals the "bad time", "sian" kind of feeling. This is very good, a well captured moment ! I noticed you did not use flash. Was it intentional to have the dimness to project or enhance that times are bad, energy saving by the residents ? If so, I think and feel the pic serves the purpose ! :thumbsup:
The orderliness and paint work of the housing seemed to be a fairly well to do neighbourhood. If they who can afford to spent but not doing so, really shows times are bad ! Another thumb up for you !

Last edited:
Sorry steal your thread..

In better times?

Let me ask what you think of your own image in terms of
1) Composition
2) Colour
3) Exposure
4) Tones

Where do you think it stands strong and where do you think it flops?

he probably doesn't know, that's why he's asking!

anyway, overall, i find the shot a little too underexposed. it may have been intentional to show how the darkness (of times) is engulfing him, but it doesn't work for me. too dark to show the details.

the composition is alright for me; however, the shot lacks a strong focal point. the man should have been more prominent (this maybe due to the underexposure of the shot, it seems to have made him blend into it)

as for colour and tones, i find it lacking.

Last edited:
My 2 cents:

I think the photo capture the mood very well. Many may want to crop to focus on the stall holder (e.g. the other pic in the tread) but leaving the empty space really express the emptiness. I find the light at the right a bit distracting though, taking the focus from the hawker to highlight the out of context wall.

Many may not agree but I think, we must put technicalities aside sometimes, to comment on the soul of the photo rather than whether it is sharp, f/stop is correct, exposure under or over...well, just my personal opinion, I may be wrong.

This is a good mood shot. I like it!

:D:D:D:D

Just my 'feel' but have you tried making it an even more low key image? The building in the background is slightly distracting IMO. The cart against a perfectly black background would have been just nice.

Thanks to everybody for all the comments given, will keep them to heart. I will improve on the exposure part in future. Personally i think this is a good platform for us to improve ourselves in this aspect. Thanks to calebk too, you kept me thinking, i think that's a relevant question that set me thinking (though i'm a newbie) , at least before i get my shot the next time. Thanks everyone! :)

i think a wider frame might be better too... provided the place is pretty empty =D
Making the emptiness look more obvious might be better, considering bad times usually means no one wants to buy food from his stall.The photo is very underexposed....

Status
Not open for further replies.