[Timelapse Photography] DIY IR Remote Intervalometer for D70, D50, D40

Francis247

Jul 10, 2005
Hougang, Punggol
forums.clubsnap.com
Dear all,

Just sharing my experiment of a DIY IR Remote Intervalometer for D70, D50, D40 with my fellow timelapse enthusiasts.

My motivation for this experiment comes from my D70IR (D70 which is InfraRed Modified). I always wanted to do timelapse with my this InfraRed Modified camera but there is no intervalometer which is readily available for this camera. One easy way out is to get a D70s, D80 or D90 or D200 and modified it for IR. There are readily made Intervalometers for all these cameras. However, this D70 (please note that D70 does not have any port for MC-DC1, the only way to remote control it is through an IR Remote ML-L3) has serve me very well and it is still good. I like the Sepia tone because it was modified using the Hoya R72 IR Filter.

I did an online check and found this topic on DIY IR Remote Intervalometer (Timescapes - Digital Timelapse Discussion - View topic - Off the shelf solution to timelapse on ANY camera, Nikon D70) from Timescapes which is quite useful. So I decided to do my own experiment. Here are my step by step guide if you are interested to try out.

Do note that there are a few differences between my procedure and the one found in Timescapes because the accessories used are different.

First of all, I got myself (1) Phottix Remote Control Infrared (for Nikon) - $12 and (2) Phottix Nikos Digital Timer Remote (N10) - $75. (Do note that if you can find a cheaper Intervalometer or Digital Timer Remote, that will be better.)

P5281189800.jpg

My original intention was to get the Phottix N6 as it is supposed to be the replacement for Phottix N2 as the the Timescapes website. However, I can't a Phottix N6, that is why I decided to try the Phottix N10 instead.

P5281191800.jpg

P5281195800.jpg

Noted that the Phottix N10 connector is similar to that of MC-DC2. I got some initial doubt if it is compatible but I decided to give it a try anyway.

Step 1
Remove the 4 screws from the IR Remote as shown.

P5281198800.jpg

Note that there are 2 "hidden" screws behind the sticker.

Step 2
Remove the back cover.

P5281199800.jpg

Step 3
Remove the PCB from the casing.

P5281201800.jpg

Note that this is totally different from what is shown in the Timescapes website. The IR Remote as shown in the Timescapes website is using quite simple circuit design but the one shown in my setup is using a tactile switch, so I got to do my own experiment and trial-and-error.

Step 4
Cut the MC-DC2 connector end of the remote cable. (PS : Do not cut the 3 pin stereo jack MALE connector side.)

P5281203800.jpg

Step 5
Strip the black colour insulation. It will show 3 smaller wires (Red, White and Yellow). Strip off the insulation from the Red and White wires (Yellow wire is not required).

P5281204800.jpg

Step 6
Solder the Red and White wires to the Tactile Switch as shown in the picture.

DSC_6799800.jpg

Note that it does not really matter which wire goes to which pad.

Do a slight modification to the InfraRed Remote cover, put back the PCB into the cover and this is the completed product.

P5281205800.jpg

Note that you can use a black tape to tape up the yellow wire.

P5281208800.jpg

Now my D70 and my DIY IR Remote is ready for action.