Time to upgrade my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaweb

Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
Last nite my PC (3+ years ago) broke down and I think it is about time to upgrade to a better PC. I post this thread hope that anyone can help me to provide some useful information on computer parts.

Budget : about 1k
CPU : Pentitum 4
CPU Type : Intel
Motherboard : Standard features and preferred to have Ethernet and USB2 ports
RAM : 512M or more :D
Display Card : Good enuff to edit photo
Casing : able to support 2x CD-ROMs and 2-HDs , with FDD

Anyone know is the latest best price, brand & which recommended shop to buy for my above specification ?

Many thanks :)

I think ya budget should be higher unless you wanna go to Sim Lim.

I got mine w/o at dell for $1700. 2.6gh HT, 512mb, 80mb hdd...all catered to digital pic for the future. :D

megaweb said:
Last nite my PC (3+ years ago) broke down and I think it is about time to upgrade to a better PC. I post this thread hope that anyone can help me to provide some useful information on computer parts.

Budget : about 1k
CPU : Pentitum 4
CPU Type : Intel
Motherboard : Standard features and preferred to have Ethernet and USB2 ports
RAM : 512M or more :D
Display Card : Good enuff to edit photo
Casing : able to support 2x CD-ROMs and 2-HDs , with FDD

Anyone know is the latest best price, brand & which recommended shop to buy for my above specification ?

Many thanks :)

hahaha....

i got a 1st generation original Intel P4 board that uses SDRAM (not sure working or not), 2x256MB & 1x512MB SDRAM (total 1GB - definitely working), New 24x10x40 IOMEGA(WEB?) CDRW....and maybe a AGP Geforce2 MX card somewhere in the heap of PC parts....oh .. have some NIC too...you dun need FDD....

if you want to DIY let me know....

they're all not for free :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

INTEL Pentium-4 2.66GHz(512K/Box) 533MHz FSB - $213
ASUStek P4G8X-Deluxe (Intel GraniteBay) DualChannel DDR+Serial ATA-150+GigaBit LAN - $199
Any GeForce4 440MX 64MB-128MB card - $100
CORSAIR XMS2700 512MB -333MHz - $140
Casing (to your preference, psu must be P4 complient though) - $100

Total: $752

Still can take cab home ;)

The above prices were taken from HWZ price guides. Some of the prices are a week old, but still, shouldn't fluctuate that badly.

Since you don't play games, I reckon $1K's a big budget.

Shops I recommend are SuperPet(6th Floor), Fuwell (4th Floor), VideoPro (5th Floor), these are the few that I visit more often.

jeff49er said:

I got mine w/o at dell for $1700. 2.6gh HT, 512mb, 80mb hdd...all catered to digital pic for the future. :D
prefer DIY :)

AReality said:
I assume your $1k budget excludes monitor/mouse/keyboard rite?
yeah , I do not need monitor , HDD , keyboard , mouse , CD-ROM

rncw said:
hahaha....

i got a 1st generation original Intel P4 board that uses SDRAM (not sure working or not), 2x256MB & 1x512MB SDRAM (total 1GB - definitely working), New 24x10x40 IOMEGA(WEB?) CDRW....and maybe a AGP Geforce2 MX card somewhere in the heap of PC parts....oh .. have some NIC too...you dun need FDD....

if you want to DIY let me know....

they're all not for free
I prefer latest motherboard leh. Maybe you can sell me your parts cheap cheap :)

megaweb said:
prefer DIY :)

yeah , I do not need monitor , HDD , keyboard , mouse , CD-ROM

I prefer latest motherboard leh. Maybe you can sell me your parts cheap cheap :)

how cheap you want?

anyway, for better mainboards, go for either the ASUS P4P800 or the MSI 645 Neo series (for FSB800) or the ASUSP4G8X (FSB400/533)....

my system went down recently too...just after i came back from my trip.. :sweat:

Hi mega,

I am planning to upgrade mine too. Went to SITEX yesterday afternoon to look at the computers. The dell and HP computers look quite gd. When u upgrading? My requirements similar to yours. Maybe can do it together. :p

jeff49er said:

When did u get your Dell comp? Which package? The Dell dimension 4600 looks gd. Somemore free delivery if order within this few days. :D

Mega.. sorry to "hijack" your thread but i too need to upgrade my AMD 800 Mhz CPU. :embrass: My budget is also within 1K and i do not need the peripherals as well. :)

Anyhow, i require the following;

AMD Processor + Mobo
Ram > 512MB (How much does 1 gig of ram cost? :dunno:)
CDR/DVD R combo drive
HDD > 40 Gig
Graphic Card - Preferable something abit more robust with 64MB onboard ram
A fancy casing with ah-beng lights and all. :p

Hehehe.. last one is optional. ;)

Kindly advice. :)

Thanks epsn :)

rncw said:
how cheap you want?

anyway, for better mainboards, go for either the ASUS P4P800 or the MSI 645 Neo series (for FSB800) or the ASUSP4G8X (FSB400/533)....

my system went down recently too...just after i came back from my trip.. :sweat:
not sure the price yet .. need to shop 1st

Falcon ,
Sure. I am going down to SLS this afternoon ( 1730 hrs ) to look around ..

Hi wolfie,

Anyway, since you're not going to do any serious heavy duty (I think), the Opteron 64Bit chips should be out for you.

Maybe this would help:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (2.08GHz/0.13µm/Barton) 333MHz - $156
ASUStek A7V333 (VIA KT333CE) ATA-100/USB2.0/6ch Audio - $189
Iomega DVDRW @ Sitex early bird special (27, 28 /Nov) - $199 (else $288)
MAXTOR DiamondMax Plus-9 80GB (6Y080L0/2MB/FDB-Motor) ATA-133 - $131
CORSAIR XMS2700 512MB -333MHz - $140 (1Gb? x 2.3?)
Casing (to your preference, psu must be AthlonXP complient though) - $100

Total: $1015 oops... :what: can't take cab liao.

And for the beng lights, I'll throw in an espn special, I'd help you mod the case :D how? :D heehee

megaweb said:
Falcon ,
Sure. I am going down to SLS this afternoon ( 1730 hrs ) to look around ..

Great. Would love to join you later but today Holland V serial last episode.. :D
Do keep me informed. Got to make a decision before the sitex offer ends if getting from Dell or HP. Also if DIY, need to learn from you cos I know nuts abt assembling computer. :)

Guys i got the Dell dimension 8300. It is not as slim as 4600c but i m interested in the performance.

Falcon said:
When did u get your Dell comp? Which package? The Dell dimension 4600 looks gd. Somemore free delivery if order within this few days. :D

Got the 8300 yesterday :)

jeff49er said:
Got the 8300 yesterday :)

Hmm.. thought that package costs ard 2K. It is P4 HT tech 3.0z with 256 Mb ram. How u managed to reduce it to 1.7k?

espn said:
Hi wolfie,

Anyway, since you're not going to do any serious heavy duty (I think), the Opteron 64Bit chips should be out for you.

Maybe this would help:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (2.08GHz/0.13µm/Barton) 333MHz - $156
ASUStek A7V333 (VIA KT333CE) ATA-100/USB2.0/6ch Audio - $189
Iomega DVDRW @ Sitex early bird special (27, 28 /Nov) - $199 (else $288)
MAXTOR DiamondMax Plus-9 80GB (6Y080L0/2MB/FDB-Motor) ATA-133 - $131
CORSAIR XMS2700 512MB -333MHz - $140 (1Gb? x 2.3?)
Casing (to your preference, psu must be AthlonXP complient though) - $100

Total: $1015 oops... :what: can't take cab liao.

And for the beng lights, I'll throw in an espn special, I'd help you mod the case :D how? :D heehee

Yeap.. not doing anything seriously heavy duty. At most, i will need this box to do run of the mill stuff, like forum browsing, photo editing, and maybe a game or two.. but looking at your specs.. it looks pretty good.

Let me get back to you next month. ;)

Cheers... for anyone else with other suggestions, i am open to them. :)

Wolfgang said:
Yeap.. not doing anything seriously heavy duty. At most, i will need this box to do run of the mill stuff, like forum browsing, photo editing, and maybe a game or two.. but looking at your specs.. it looks pretty good.

Let me get back to you next month. ;)

Cheers... for anyone else with other suggestions, i am open to them. :)

Might be worth investing in a DVD writer. Think they are promoting them at sitex.

Casing
I upgraded my p3-500 a few months back (its still working though). One thing which i bought and now really like is the HEC casing from Superpet for $79. It is a plain beige box but is very well thought out. It also has two quiet 120 mm fans. They provide enough cooling that i removed the cooling fan from my Northbridge heatsink. My VGA card also comes with no cooling fan.

Powersupply/cooling
I am fan of 'quiet pcs' and i suggest you immediately dump the built in power supply and get a quiet powersupply (i got a enermax with controllable fan speed but i think the ones with a single 120mm fan are even quieter)

Am also looking for a 'fanless' CPU heatsink... any in Singapore?

VGA card
Anandtech has an article showing that different brands of VGA cards with same chipset can have different image quality depending on parts/components. So I would suggest that you get a 'brand-name' VGA card (even if chipset is a budget one). I use ASUS.

RAM
RAM so cheap now, get 1 Gb :)

Anyway, Ethernet? Go wireless lah...

I would suggest getting a ATI graphics card =) ATI is known for their better image quality. Of course if you are not into gaming, the Matrox G400 is a very good card for its 2D images.

Status
Not open for further replies.