Time to upgrade my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bluestrike said:
Hmm.. the Gfx card.....
hmm..

but well.. ..

erwinx said:
yah lor, since mega interested in photo-editing, tell him to buy 'branded' graphics card to get better image quality instead he go and buy powercolor ;)

it is ok lah ... sometimes my younger brother can play computer games ;)

nuts said:
Wow, everyone upgrading huh... me too ;p
Pretty tiring processing & archiving 1000 RAW images from my recent trip on my AMD K6-500Mhz PC ... yeah, definitely getting a DVD-writer too...
Probably getting another AMD system similar to espn's suggestion but prob going for 2600+ and Soltek board, with the DVDwriter should be less than 1k..
Probably also buying majority of parts from a shop and asking them to assemble for me...
As for the the graphics card, anyone knows if the AGP 4x and 8x thingy affects performance for Photoshop processing etc? Wondering if I can retain my current Matrox 400 card (which is dunno AGP how many x ...)

..NuTs..

From my experience, AGP 4x & 8x wont give, if any, real world improvement on photoshop. The bottleneck is at the CPU, RAM & HD speed.

Last time I changed my office PC video card to radeon 8500 (the fastest at tat time), the improvement is still marginally small compared to the on-board vga. Btw, the cpu is PIII 700Mhz with 512Mb PC133 ram.

But putting the same video card on my house pc running 1.8A@3.0Ghz with 512Mb DDR400, its a different story...Blazingly fast... :D

Unless u wanna play the latest 3D games, ur Matrox card is good enough for most image editing...Upgrade ur other components instead...

Just my 0.02b worth :D

megaweb said:
Thanks to everyone for the respond. I have gotten the following parts:

CPU:
INTEL Pentium-4 2.6GHz (2.6c/512K/HyperThreading/Box) 800MHz FSB

Motherboard:
ASUStek P4P800 (Intel 865PE) 800MHz FSB+Dual Channel DDR

Memory:
2x KINGSTON 256MB (PC-3200/CL2.5)400MHz DDR SDRAM

Display Card:
POWER COLOUR Radeon 9600 PRO EZ (AGP8x) 256MB DDR

Casing:
DX-01BD-U BLACK 400W + 4FAN CASING

The budget is a bit out but it meets my need. PM me if you want to know the actual price or breakdown price.

:cheergal: :cheergal:

POWER COLOUR Radeon 9600 PRO EZ (AGP8x) 256MB DDR <--- Big taste : just like his picture :D

PS is basically 2D and much of the image processing relies more on CPU, RAM and HDD if your huge files won't fit into memory. Getting a faster 3D graphic card essentially won't help at all, but comes in useful when you feel like playing a game or 2. :) Fully agree with henavs on Matrox. Strongly recommend it for best results in DTP and photo editing.

henavs said:
From my experience, AGP 4x & 8x wont give, if any, real world improvement on photoshop. The bottleneck is at the CPU, RAM & HD speed.

Last time I changed my office PC video card to radeon 8500 (the fastest at tat time), the improvement is still marginally small compared to the on-board vga. Btw, the cpu is PIII 700Mhz with 512Mb PC133 ram.

But putting the same video card on my house pc running 1.8A@3.0Ghz with 512Mb DDR400, its a different story...Blazingly fast... :D

Unless u wanna play the latest 3D games, ur Matrox card is good enough for most image editing...Upgrade ur other components instead...

Just my 0.02b worth :D

yupz.gfx not that impt in PS, should spend ur money getting a good harddisk, ram etc.
hard disk and ram and ur cpu will be more helpful when u are doin PS,
as for games, doesnt really matter, unless u are a hardcore gamer.
remember to check the PSU.
i got an icute casing last yr, then the PSU died half a yr later
using blackcube now, i reco Antec.

I'm using a Matrox G550 as my graphic card for my recently built "photo imaging station". Initially I felt a bit silly paying so much for a 16MB (or is it 32MB?) video card. But the 2D quality is pretty good compared to other cards, and since I'm using it primarily for PhotoShop and Premier, I'm not really bothered by the lack of 3D capabilities for gaming.

A couple of days ago, I bought a LCD monitor to complement my existing monitor as a secondary display (no money to buy the cool panaromic Mac studio display). Now I got two screens to dump all my working files (not recommended unless you've got enough RAM), as well as all the tool bars and layers palette. So my primary display is left clean to work on the main image. Really really a luxury (not a necessity) but very very nice!

Get a Matrox twin-display card if you can afford it... about $250 for the Matrox 550... one day you might decide to go twin-display!

Off topic: if Matrox ever make a six-head display, I can build a replica of the control station of the Nebuchadnezzar! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.