Time to re-contract: LG G4 or S6 or Note 5

you know how every 2 years we will get a new phone. its my turn now (finally). Was looking around and came across the LG G4. Seems pretty mixed reviews regarding the camera on the G4. Very nearly bought one thou if not because of its inferior specs compared to S6 :(
But like most of us here, taking pics is our love. The option for raw files and ability to tweak shutter settings is a plus. but I hear a lot from S6 users too. Most say S6 still beats the G4.
Wondering if anyone has used either that can share a few opinions.
Worst scenario (well not really worst) wait for the Note 5.

Last edited:
I hoot an Xperia Z3 for $148 yesterday from M1 on the $41/month plan, after $100 discount for changing over from Singtel. Original price was $248 by M1, Singtel offered it for $418 for the $40/month plan - not sure what the deal here was.

Main thing for the Z3 was the waterproof ability, 3GB RAM and microSD card slot.

If you want to get a phone with a good camera, and are shopping in that top price range, then maybe you can consider the HTC M9 too. I've not been too impressed by Samsung phones of late.

Richiemccaw1,

I hate to disappoint you.

I got my Z3 on Sat. Based on Starhub the 4G3 plan, $42/mth, it cost only $209.
Less $100 as a new sign up from Singtel. $109.

My friend lagi better. He claimed to sign up Singtel 4G Combo 3. He got it free!

EisMann

I hoot an Xperia Z3 for $148 yesterday from M1 on the $41/month plan, after $100 discount for changing over from Singtel. Original price was $248 by M1, Singtel offered it for $418 for the $40/month plan - not sure what the deal here was.

Main thing for the Z3 was the waterproof ability, 3GB RAM and microSD card slot.

If you want to get a phone with a good camera, and are shopping in that top price range, then maybe you can consider the HTC M9 too. I've not been too impressed by Samsung phones of late.

Sony in deep trouble, and u getting their phone.

Richiemccaw1,

I hate to disappoint you.

I got my Z3 on Sat. Based on Starhub the 4G3 plan, $42/mth, it cost only $209.
Less $100 as a new sign up from Singtel. $109.

My friend lagi better. He claimed to sign up Singtel 4G Combo 3. He got it free!

EisMann

LOL sheeeeesh.

Getting a new phone with plan and thinking it is a good deal? What a delusion...

One man's trash is another's treasure.

Heh I accept that it may be delusional to think getting a phone on a new plan is a good deal. :)

That said perhaps you can also consider that I saw past that, did my homework and felt this was the best deal I had given the circumstances I was in and what I was looking for in a phone. Although definitely not saying you did not consider that.. Notwithstanding that there may have been better deals out there of course.

Imho a better deal may not be the right deal all the time. Just as the right deal may seem like it was made in a moment of folly..

Just renewed my 2 years contract with SingTel last month and got a new Samsung S6.
It is the best camera phone that I ever have.

you know how every 2 years we will get a new phone. its my turn now (finally). Was looking around and came across the LG G4. Seems pretty mixed reviews regarding the camera on the G4. Very nearly bought one thou if not because of its inferior specs compared to S6 :(
But like most of us here, taking pics is our love. The option for raw files and ability to tweak shutter settings is a plus. but I hear a lot from S6 users too. Most say S6 still beats the G4.
Wondering if anyone has used either that can share a few opinions.
Worst scenario (well not really worst) wait for the Note 5.

Last edited:

I've been using the first xperia z since 2013, and the waterproofing is one of my fav features. For someone with sweaty palms, it's nice to be able to rinse my phone whenever I need to. No need to put the phone in a ziplock bag during reservist outfield, etc.

Getting a new phone with plan and thinking it is a good deal? What a delusion...
why would it be? Since we have to pay monthly subscriptions might as well leverage on that to get a subsidized phone

I would have to pay $1300 for my iPhone 6, but with a 2-year plan I only pay $100+

Switched from Z3 to S6 (business decision).. Sigh.. charging every day, water proofing gone, less megapixels, there goes the mini SD card.. was hoping to use Samsung's S-notes (had to reboot the phone many times but to Samsung's credit they have been applying update after update).. I am not a power user.. but my son has been laughing at me for the last 2-3 months or so... And yes the Z is a great phone.. I still have it as a second phone for trips.. and Sony did update the OS to the latest...

why would it be? Since we have to pay monthly subscriptions might as well leverage on that to get a subsidized phone

I would have to pay $1300 for my iPhone 6, but with a 2-year plan I only pay $100+

And the 24 months of subscription amount to..? Plus usage? Plus they ask you to sign for the newer plans with higher monthly subscription because of all the stuff they auto-include? The golden rule applies: what is made available (e.g. 4G network) will be used. It's nothing but a big carrot. And then the stick comes with data cap, top up etc. It's nothing but a big carrot.
Thanks to IDA quality control the 3G networks are perfectly usable.

I am wondering about re contract also. I am currently getting 2gb free data with the cheapest plan. If re contract will only get 300mb.

Having said the below, I started thinking what I liked about the S6.. 1 thing mainly.. its camera features when you switch it to pro mode, and the accessibility of the various photo filters, including the ones you can download from the net.

Switched from Z3 to S6 (business decision).. Sigh.. charging every day, water proofing gone, less megapixels, there goes the mini SD card.. was hoping to use Samsung's S-notes (had to reboot the phone many times but to Samsung's credit they have been applying update after update).. I am not a power user.. but my son has been laughing at me for the last 2-3 months or so... And yes the Z is a great phone.. I still have it as a second phone for trips.. and Sony did update the OS to the latest...

Less megapixel??? 16 megapixel not enough ah? wonder what your son is laughing about..