Time Lapse vs Wear On Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

baz dev

Sep 23, 2008
Edinburgh
Hi all,

I found out that the lifetime of a shutter for my 450D is approx 50,000 shots.

I presume most of this wear will be the mechanicals to lift the mirror for each shot?

Has anybody any tips for how to carry out time lapse shots (~600 shots a session) but minimise the wear on the camera to ensure it doesn't fall over after a few months.

e.g. does shooting in 'Live view' remove a lot of the mechanical operation when taking a shot?

Cheers,
B.

to focus in live view, you actually put more wear on the shutter (due to the design of the canon live view). I think the normal shooting mode is better, the mirror doesn't need to flip up, flip down to focus, then flip up again for LV, etc.

I rather wears off my shutter than keeps exposing my CMOS.

By the time you shot 50'000 photos, i think you would be ready for a new camera which has a more durable shutter. So yah, don't worry. You can also send it to canon to replace the shutter when the shutter dies:) cheers

I found out that the lifetime of a shutter for my 450D is approx 50,000 shots.

The lifespan of the shutter isn't going to be 50,000 cycles, it's just the number of times that most of the cameras are expected to work to without failure. The shutter could fail at any time, could be thousands of shots after the 50,000 or if you are unlucky, even before the 50,000 mark. It's just a reference mark.

I think you shouldn't worry that much about your shutter count and just shoot. It's quite impossible to keep an accurate count anyway.

Cheers all! It seems the shutter longevity should be the least of my worries. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.