Tilting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooQy

Feb 12, 2009
SG
How often do you tilt your cam when taking pictures?

And when should we tilt?

And when should we tilt?

Hi Poo,

There's no rules about tilting your camera. I normally tilt when I think that it will add to the image e.g leading lines to the subjects or conveying movement. Images like landscape, the horizon should be straight so tilting is not advisable. Of course there are always exceptional cases. Also tilting is like adding spices to the soup. 1 or 2 to add flavour but if you have too many images of the same tilt, it will become boring.

And when should we tilt?

Tilting was introduced by a famous female photographer because she could not get the empire state building into a picture "straight". So she had to tilt to get it all in.

Tilting *can* help emphasize a pic... Or it can make it look like rubbish. Experience will tell you which is which

vertical line convey strength,
horizontal line convey tranquillity, stable

diagonal line convey imbalance, movement..

so you can use the lines to convey the message in your photos.

There are plenty of creativity to shoot off axis or intentionally slant the horizon depending on what the photog is trying to communicate, and thus it can be a creative addition to drawing positive attention - it will be up to the audience to judge the success / failure.

However there are certain genres such as wide panoramic landscapes that many would still prefer the traditional leveling , and even a little slant by a degree or two can be a biting eye sore.

Subjectivity although often mentioned, should not be an excuse for carelessness.

Ryan

Depending on the content. For example, in events it may not be possible to think, plan and decide which angle to tilt ALL The Time. By the time you decide, the moment is gone and will never come back. A lot of time, base on developed personal style and perhaps gut feel.

Thanks all for your valuable input :thumbsup:

Like the pic below, I tilted it becos of the leading white line, to the subject. Placement of him in a "straight" composition might not be very much interesting.

3425986025_8b5038e9ed.jpg

For a bigger view: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nigel_4ever/3425986025/sizes/l/

Last edited:
Originally posted by Rashkae
"Tilting was introduced by a famous female photographer because she could not get the empire state building into a picture "straight". So she had to tilt to get it all in.

Tilting *can* help emphasize a pic... Or it can make it look like rubbish. Experience will tell you which is which"

seriously ? who is the photographer?

seriously ? who is the photographer?

I believe it was Margaret Bourke-White. Here's a sample of her style:

(as seen on the Gallery M website)
bourke-white_margaret_3_chrysler_building_ny_1931_L.jpg

And when should we tilt?

i think, deliberately, i have tilted camera twice in three years

if the tilt works when added, then i tilt, 90% of the time it will not, for the subjects i shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.