tilt shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyepower

Mar 10, 2007
Yishun
recently heard about tilt shift photography from my teacher, been to wiki to see, some other websites, but dun really understand. can someone simplfiy the method for me?

thanks

Have you checked this out?

To summarise from the site, tilt shift lenses are mainly used for architectural shots. Normally, to take a photo of a building, one has to aim up to capture the entire building. This would result in converging lines. To ensure that all the lines are straight, there is but no choice to take the shot with the camera parallel to the ground. This is by help of a spirit level. However, if you do shoot straight ahead, either you cut off the upper portion of the building or you capture too much foreground.

That is where tilt shift lenses come in. By shifting the lens upwards by a certain amount of distance, it basically simulates the effect that the photographer is walking up a ladder, essentially moving the view upwards, capturing more of the building and less of the foreground. Similarly, if you would like to capture an image of a house, but there's a lampost on the left that you would like to get rid off, you could actually stand on the right to avoid it and yet shifting the lens to the left to capture the image.

For tilting, assume there's a depth of field at a certain given focal length and aperture, we'll quantify it for simplicity, of about 2 to 2.2m, sometimes in a group shot, you would notice that not everyone's face is within that field, resulting in some being sharp, and others, simply out of focus. Thus, some group photographers would stand a little higher and aim downwards, ensuring that all the faces are now somewhat equal in distance to the camera lens, and getting them all sharp. The tilting somehow works with this concept in mind.

i have to use specific tilt shift lens rite?

For what purposes?

It's actually a general description of a tilt shift lens although such lenses are not really neccessary to achieve the desired effect. You could stand far away or on a ladder to get a building taken, or do such effects in PhotoShop.

For what purposes?

It's actually a general description of a tilt shift lens although such lenses are not really neccessary to achieve the desired effect. You could stand far away or on a ladder to get a building taken, or do such effects in PhotoShop.
A little correction... T&S lenses can be applicable in many situations. Not necessary only on architectural photography. Another example on the application of T&S lenses is for product photography especially for jewellery shoot, actually more on tilting than shifting. :bsmilie:

No offense. :)

Oh yeah, that I totally agree.

I have one but it's so complex that I waste so much time fiddling around with it. Ended up, I'm more into shifting as I haven't got a nut's clue about the tilting portion. Contact you if I've got any queries?

i have to use specific tilt shift lens rite?
Yes and no.

Yes, because due to the different mount of different camera brands, you may need to get the specific make compatible with your brand of camera use.

However, there is a generic T&S adaptor made in Germany, which I off-hand cannot remember the exact brand. You can actually buy the correct adaptor mount to fit this T&S adaptor module and can be fitted on any lens. But to be prepared... this Germany T&S adaptor is ex. I used to own 1 many yrs ago for my Nikon System, and was glad that all my Nikkors can have T&S function. But have since cash out due to under-utilised. :bsmilie:

Oh yeah, that I totally agree.

I have one but it's so complex that I waste so much time fiddling around with it. Ended up, I'm more into shifting as I haven't got a nut's clue about the tilting portion. Contact you if I've got any queries?
I'm using a T&S bellow now... :bsmilie:

Yes and no.

Yes, because due to the different mount of different camera brands, you may need to get the specific make compatible with your brand of camera use.

However, there is a generic T&S adaptor made in Germany, which I off-hand cannot remember the exact brand. You can actually buy the correct adaptor mount to fit this T&S adaptor module and can be fitted on any lens. But to be prepared... this Germany T&S adaptor is ex. I used to own 1 many yrs ago for my Nikon System, and was glad that all my Nikkors can have T&S function. But have since cash out due to under-utilised. :bsmilie:
Yes... found the brand...

it's Zörkendörfer!

For those interested, you may refer to this website: http://www.zoerk.de/
This product is not available locally. Last time I actually shipped in mine. :(

Yes... found the brand...

it's Zörkendörfer!

For those interested, you may refer to this website: http://www.zoerk.de/
This product is not available locally. Last time I actually shipped in mine. :(

i dun understand the language.. i only see a lot of camera with special lens..mayb u can "zhi dian mi jing"

sori....not really pro here..

Oh, the bellows.

I'm at a loss as how to create the TS look.

From what I recall, it involves shooting from high high up... Then what?

Some sample images over here

i dun understand the language.. i only see a lot of camera with special lens..mayb u can "zhi dian mi jing"

sori....not really pro here..
Tilt-Shift are special lenses not special photography methods! :nono:

Check out the link given by tSkye. A full explaination there. I'm not a good writer to simplifed the technical aspect of the lens and how it is used to correct distortion. Actually nowadays with digital photography, these perspective distortion can be easily corrected, especially for building perspective distortion in architectural photography.

But then as the saying goes, if you need to ask, means you dun really need it, so no worries, just shoot more. :rolleyes:

k thanks a bundle.. will look up on it..

Oh, the bellows.

I'm at a loss as how to create the TS look.

From what I recall, it involves shooting from high high up... Then what?

Some sample images over here
Not all bellows support T&S. For nikon, only the old PB4 supports T&S. Newer current models like PB6 will only do the bellowing and bringing the focus closer.

hey u n tskye related is it? siblings?

curious... sorry if i offend any of u 2

Add-on, an example of T&S lenses are the famous lensbabies. I believe they are the cheapest form of T&S lens made available in the market. Although they are created as a photographic toy lens, but if you know how to control it well, it gives very good results. My advise is to use a tripod and triggering cable to do the shoot so that you can free your both hands to create the effect you wanted. Using T&S lenses on landscape can create 'fun' pictures like turning building into some 'minature' models with the currect contrast & over-saturation applied to the photo to make the colours 'un-real'.

Personally, I not really play with the extreme of T&S photography like I mention above, 'making pictures into minature models'. One main reasons is that it is easy to lurk a bellow + tripod ard for outdoor shoot and I can assured you that it is no fun matters. :bsmilie:

tSkye, maybe one of these days we can meet up and do some real extreme T&S photography together. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.