Tiger's Den

renzokuken

Sep 13, 2009

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
composition, title of photo, exposure, any other way to improve the picture. perhaps some light-PP advice would be good as well (am using lightroom)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Trying to create the "dreamy effect",
like how they portrait Aslan, the majestic lion, in the movie "The Chronicles of Narnia"

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Cloudy Day, taken in the zoo. i just got my first DSLR for a week. was still getting used to it when my friend decided to bring me to the zoo for a photo shoot

EXIF:
Camera Canon EOS 500D
Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 100 mm
ISO Speed 250
Flash Off, Did not fire
Exposure Program Aperture-priority AE
Subject Distance 13.6 m

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally i like the reflection of the tiger's face off the water, i like the ripples as well and how they reflected the light.

at 100% however the picture seems un-sharp , wished i had a better lens but i think i manage to get what i want with what i have

at 100% however the picture seems un-sharp , wished i had a better lens but i think i manage to get what i want with what i have

is it the 55-250? i think its more of a case of misfocus. did u use the focus point? u will need to use that to get the focus right. auto focus will randomly hit and miss one. focus point gives a more reliable focus, at that point, as the name implies.

33556_457389413584_786218584_5514186_1288885_n.jpg

cause i got the same lens and i'm very happy with it. merry x'mas!

I like the photo, but I dun find the title suitable. Pretty sad if a tiger's den is in water don't you agree?

is it the 55-250? i think its more of a case of misfocus. did u use the focus point? u will need to use that to get the focus right. auto focus will randomly hit and miss one. focus point gives a more reliable focus, at that point, as the name implies.

33556_457389413584_786218584_5514186_1288885_n.jpg

cause i got the same lens and i'm very happy with it. merry x'mas!
i think it could be due to my shaky hands
though i followed the 1 / focal length rule, i think for it to bring out the 100% crop details i would need a faster shutter speed. the tiger was moving as well

either that or it could be due to ff/bf issues

I like the photo, but I dun find the title suitable. Pretty sad if a tiger's den is in water don't you agree?
thank you for liking it :)
i'm pretty bad with names and titles, i can't think of any title which will bring out the "Aslan" feel though.

Hi there!

I like the overall feeling the picture gives, especially the reflection of the tiger on the water. However, I personally would crop the right side of the picture a little to emphasize more on the tiger.

Just curious, if you use aperture priority mode, how do you follow the focal rule since it automatically sets the shutter speed? Manually changing the EV compensation?

Matt

i think it could be due to my shaky hands
though i followed the 1 / focal length rule, i think for it to bring out the 100% crop details i would need a faster shutter speed. the tiger was moving as well

either that or it could be due to ff/bf issues

so ya used the focus point is it?:) 1/100 is sufficient to freeze a lot of motion already, judging from the water.

Hi there!

I like the overall feeling the picture gives, especially the reflection of the tiger on the water. However, I personally would crop the right side of the picture a little to emphasize more on the tiger.

Just curious, if you use aperture priority mode, how do you follow the focal rule since it automatically sets the shutter speed? Manually changing the EV compensation?

Matt

i guess i was just lucky hahaha
i forgot i used AE

so ya used the focus point is it?:) 1/100 is sufficient to freeze a lot of motion already, judging from the water.
i think i used the center focus point
1/100 can freeze lots of things but you're forgetting that i shot that at 100mm

it's not that "fast" anymore, especially if you consider the 1/focal length rule, on a 1.6 crop, 100mm would be 100 X 1.6 ...so in theory a shutter speed of 1/160 is needed to counter handshake :think:

anyway it only seems blur to be at 100% crops
it seems fine if i don't zoom in all the way till it's at 100% :)

more sincere and constructive critique from other forumees will be good
:)

I think the sharpness of the image can be improved by shooting at a shutter speed of higher than 1/100s. Though you practised rule of using a shutter speed which is a reciprocal of the focal length, you still need proper hand holding and trigger techniques to eliminate handshake blur. Part of the tiger seems to be over exposed, especially around the spine and nose area of the tiger, I'm not too certain though since the image is in B&W. There should be some details if those areas weren't blown. Keep shooting! :)

handshake is ok, doesn't mean your subject motion is frozen. To make sure you get animals in motion to show up ok, might want to consider faster shutter speed like 1/200. Your ISO is 250, which means you have a lot of room to push ISO up.

hmm, i think the tiger's body is overexposed, i feel the glare, but otherwise, i really love the reflection effect, beautiful animal and beautiful shot, thanks for sharing :)

i've read all of your comments

thank you so much for sharing your valuable views on my photo

i appreciate it :)