TIFF vs JPEG

Status
Not open for further replies.
for large prints, different printing shops have different favoured formats...I've been to some who prefer tif, eps, or even pdf...but to be safe, for most purposes, sRGB tif should give you what you want with most printing companies...

tiff vs jpg

i went to canon DMH (sp?) and print my stuff lol if i used jpg, there will be banding in gradients when u print out large prints, whereas tiff doesnt have banding makes color flows and smoother thus better print.. lol

just my 2 cents

yukazunori said:
tiff vs jpg

i went to canon DMH (sp?) and print my stuff lol if i used jpg, there will be banding in gradients when u print out large prints, whereas tiff doesnt have banding makes color flows and smoother thus better print.. lol

just my 2 cents

May i ask how large did you print?

Thanks.

i actually only printed A4 *think thats 8R?* lol.. not sure bout smaller size though, he did mention 4R wouldnt be that obvious

p.s it could have been my processing from raw to jpg, but did it at the highest possible rating of 10/10 so think its the format compression

yukazunori said:
i actually only printed A4 *think thats 8R?* lol.. not sure bout smaller size though, he did mention 4R wouldnt be that obvious

p.s it could have been my processing from raw to jpg, but did it at the highest possible rating of 10/10 so think its the format compression

I see. Well, just to share that i've printed A3+ from jpg files and did not encounter banding as you had mentioned earlier. What i normally do is to convert to 16bits tiff before doing any editing and save as tiff. I only convert back to jpg after i'm done and when sending for printing. My tiff files are too big lah...But the prints look fine to me.

Ah_Seng said:
I see. Well, just to share that i've printed A3+ from jpg files and did not encounter banding as you had mentioned earlier. What i normally do is to convert to 16bits tiff before doing any editing and save as tiff. I only convert back to jpg after i'm done and when sending for printing. My tiff files are too big lah...But the prints look fine to me.

icic, haha cuz one of my prints which showed the obvious banding, was the clear blue sky i took while on the plane.. mm or it could have just been my software converting to jpg, the compression could have screwed it up.. haha

G-man said:
Yep, that's the only option.

I work in CMYK, don't ask me why. Hahahaha. I prefer RGB colours though but have little experience with them. I've got great printers who clear up my mistakes for me without yelling at me. I think I ought to make life easier for them from now on. Gotta start learning the itsy bitsy details.

Working in CMYK makes the colour range in your image reproducible in print. Working in RGB and sending it to print directly can cause some colours in your image to lose its 'brightness'. Having said that, however, many filters and functions in Photoshop can only work in RGB mode because of the way the image pixels are represented. So you will have no choice but to convert those images to RGB in order to use these functions. Subsequently, you will have to check your image for out of gamut warnings when sending it to print to make sure you don't lose colour fidelity.

Can try working with the proof colours option on in PS, set to CMYK...

Status
Not open for further replies.