travelplanet

Jan 23, 2004
East
travelplanet.clubsnap.org
Anybody would like to share his or her experience in Tibet . I am looking for a
trust agency & a budget one .Any interesting places where I can visit over
there .Will be going with about 5-7 pax & 11 days .Is Feb - Mar suitable to
visit ??? Do provide info ...

Well actually thread such as asking for info should be posted under the General Discussions category. :)

travelplanet said:
Anybody would like to share his or her experience in Tibet . I am looking for a
trust agency & a budget one .Any interesting places where I can visit over
there .Will be going with about 5-7 pax & 11 days .Is Feb - Mar suitable to
visit ??? Do provide info ...

Depends where you plan to travel. To tell you the truth, Tibet is too huge to cover in 11 days. Even a few months might not be enough (provided you are not those who touch and go type) . Plan your trip well.

scanner said:
Depends where you plan to travel. To tell you the truth, Tibet is too huge to cover in 11 days. Even a few months might not be enough (provided you are not those who touch and go type) . Plan your trip well.

Thanks !!! So u got any agent to recommend ????

We are actually planning a trip to Tibet in the next April. Not confirmed yet. Do you have other friends going together?

tomshen said:
We are actually planning a trip to Tibet in the next April. Not confirmed yet. Do you have other friends going together?

That Good :thumbsup: We can organise going together if possible .
Yes !! I got friends going but not confirm how many can make it .

tomshen said:

April is the start of the spring season, if you guys going there for scenary, I do advise you guys wait a bit longer. The best season is during summer and there will be more happening during these time. ;p

travelplanet said:
That Good :thumbsup: We can organise going together if possible .
Yes !! I got friends going but not confirm how many can make it .
Do you have any idea about the cost? We gather that it's around S$3000+ but I hope there could be cheaper packages (with similar standard). We want to rent a few cars with drivers and design our own itinery. The duration is planned as 2 weeks.

Feb and Mar Tibet is still in winter. It is freezing cold. I think most likely, the roads are closed. You can only fly in Lasa. Well 11 days, is only enough for Lasa and nearby. But Feb is too cold, all lakes are freezen!

I would love to go tibet also.. but no money no time.. sighhhh

Just in case anyone interested. PSS is organising a trip to SHang rila in China in end Nov.

You do not have to have an agency to help you arrange things in Tibet. You will pay thru your nose using them.
I flew into Lhasa from Chengdu. I will only take you a day to get things -plane ticket, permit- arranged in Chengdu. Most travel agents that service foreigners do that, but one good place to recommend is Sam's G/H. Search for them on the net or Lonely Planet's site. It costs me 1700Y all incl of ticket & permit.
In Lhasa, the best way to go about your trip is to leave notices at guesthouses' notice boards as well as read the notices. Best place to stay- cheap and very good Tibetan atmosphere and set-up is Pentoc G/H. There are heaps of people doing the same thing that you do and normally going the same standard route all the way to Everest BC, and another trip north to Namtso Lake region. Reason is that these are more or less the only places foreigners are allowed to go. The prices are quite standard- I forgot but you can tell from the notices. You normally share with 3 or 4 others in a 4WD. There are a few places around Lhasa (Sera & Ganden Monasteries) which can be visited on a public bus. There are places such as Potala Palace and Jokhang Monastery (a couple of hundred metres from Pentoc GH) which you can visit without any fuss.
We paid 1250Y for a 3D/2N 4WD to Namtso and a detour to Retin Monastery on the way to DrigunTi Monastery (sky burial holy ground).
We also paid 3800Y for a 4D ride to Nepal via Everest BC thru Yamdrok-tso, Shigatse, Gyantse, Tingri Plains etc. You can return from the EBC and it takes another 2 days back to Lhasa. You will have to pay more but not a lot more cos the driver will have to come back to Lhasa anyway.
Please note these prices are 2003 and you share the costs with how ever many in the 4WD.
I used this guy for the 5 days trip and his driver and car was VERY GOOD- highly recommended. KEDUP tel: 6982386
Hope this is useful and have fun. I did (very much).

Thanks Maxwellian! Let's make this thread alive, guys. I am reading Tibet books now and hope it would be one of the best trips in my life. Work hard and save more for it :)

Maxwellian said:
You do not have to have an agency to help you arrange things in Tibet. You will pay thru your nose using them.
I flew into Lhasa from Chengdu. I will only take you a day to get things -plane ticket, permit- arranged in Chengdu. Most travel agents that service foreigners do that, but one good place to recommend is Sam's G/H. Search for them on the net or Lonely Planet's site. It costs me 1700Y all incl of ticket & permit.
In Lhasa, the best way to go about your trip is to leave notices at guesthouses' notice boards as well as read the notices. Best place to stay- cheap and very good Tibetan atmosphere and set-up is Pentoc G/H. There are heaps of people doing the same thing that you do and normally going the same standard route all the way to Everest BC, and another trip north to Namtso Lake region. Reason is that these are more or less the only places foreigners are allowed to go. The prices are quite standard- I forgot but you can tell from the notices. You normally share with 3 or 4 others in a 4WD. There are a few places around Lhasa (Sera & Ganden Monasteries) which can be visited on a public bus. There are places such as Potala Palace and Jokhang Monastery (a couple of hundred metres from Pentoc GH) which you can visit without any fuss.
We paid 1250Y for a 3D/2N 4WD to Namtso and a detour to Retin Monastery on the way to DrigunTi Monastery (sky burial holy ground).
We also paid 3800Y for a 4D ride to Nepal via Everest BC thru Yamdrok-tso, Shigatse, Gyantse, Tingri Plains etc. You can return from the EBC and it takes another 2 days back to Lhasa. You will have to pay more but not a lot more cos the driver will have to come back to Lhasa anyway.
Please note these prices are 2003 and you share the costs with how ever many in the 4WD.
I used this guy for the 5 days trip and his driver and car was VERY GOOD- highly recommended. KEDUP tel: 6982386
Hope this is useful and have fun. I did (very much).

dont understand y do u have to pay and pay big buck just to travel around lhasa or shigatse or gyantse...these are so accessible and popular places, public buses or shared santana or beijing jeep are so much more cheaper to travel. travelling with the locals would make you trip more memorable. so for permit? if u look like chinese and speak like chinese, why bother?? ;p
2 weeek to cover tibet....u wait long long...u take usually 1st weeek u will just recover from high altitude sickness and aclamatise, 2nd week warm up, 3rd week enjoy, and 4th week slow down... :blah:

boochap said:
2 weeek to cover tibet....u wait long long...u take usually 1st weeek u will just recover from high altitude sickness and aclamatise, 2nd week warm up, 3rd week enjoy, and 4th week slow down... :blah:

agree 2 week to cover tibet, wait long long long... no way...

But no need 1 week to recover from high altitude sickness lah...
1st day, landed on tibet, don't carry heavy thing except ur baby camera and important things. Reach hotel, sleep and rest. don't bath on the 1st day. then u should be quite ok...

but lhasa and shigatse and other BIG/MAJOR city is quite modemize...
I'm quite disappointed on what I see when I was there last year....

Understand from our local driver. Ah-Li is still very 'tibet' and must know how to "eat bitter" (convert to chinese)

boochap said:
dont understand y do u have to pay and pay big buck just to travel around lhasa or shigatse or gyantse...these are so accessible and popular places, public buses or shared santana or beijing jeep are so much more cheaper to travel. travelling with the locals would make you trip more memorable. so for permit? if u look like chinese and speak like chinese, why bother?? ;p

With due respect, not everyone look or dress like a Chinese, even though you are a Chinese. A soon as you open your mouth, people will know.. And if you want to take the risk of being turn back, by all means.
4 weeks may be quite nice if you have time and have not been to the Himalayas. I spent about 3 weeks- I have the advantage of able to run around on the 1st day as I goes to the Himalaya region every year, so no need for acclimitisation. And apart from the culture, people and things Tibetan, I enjoyed the lakes tremendously. The mountains are ok as they look more impressive from Nepal and India as one is looking at them from lower attitudes; whereas the Tibetan Plains itself is already high- so one are not as awe- no break-neck height feeling.

For those who have visited Tibet, any photos to share?

yanglake1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.