Tibet trip: 13 Oct ~ 27 Oct (15 days)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutcracker10

Deregistered
Mar 31, 2004
further east, it's runway
My friend and I am currently organising a trip to Tibet. Tentative dates are: 13 Oct (sat) ~ 27 Oct (sat), for 15 days. We are still looking for 2 more persons to join us ;)

We are currently getting quotes from tour agencies in China... Exploring getting into Lhasa either via train from Xining or flight from Chengdu. The exit route will be either train to Xining, flight to Chengdu or overland to Kathmandu.

Main places covered in the itinerary:
Within Lhasa
Namtso Lake
Yangbajing Hot Spring
Yamdrok-Tso Lake
Gyantse
Shigatse
Rongphu Monastery / Everest Base Camp (tibetan side)

The final itinerary, cost and entry/exit routes are not firm yet, pending replies from the tour agencies in China. Transport within Lhasa will definitely be on 4x4.

I'm planning for a backpack trip to ZhangJiaJie/FengHuang in Oct and I was thinking to book the flight in this few days. I'm interested to join your tour if budget is allowed, Is't possible to let me know the cost ASAP so that I can decide whether to join you or proceed with my plan because I have to book the flight ASAP else the flight promotion will be gone.

Why don't you put the price and itinerary info when you have it then.

any update u have there..? it is already sep liao ...

anyone wants to go for the tibet highland train trip?

got itinery plus cost?
i got 1 quote from asa holidays, didnt actively find the rest. asa's cost 2500. need to scan the brochure.

i got 1 quote from asa holidays, didnt actively find the rest. asa's cost 2500. need to scan the brochure.

oic..thought customised for photographers :)

My friend and I am currently organising a trip to Tibet. Tentative dates are: 13 Oct (sat) ~ 27 Oct (sat), for 15 days. We are still looking for 2 more persons to join us ;)

We are currently getting quotes from tour agencies in China... Exploring getting into Lhasa either via train from Xining or flight from Chengdu. The exit route will be either train to Xining, flight to Chengdu or overland to Kathmandu.

Main places covered in the itinerary:
Within Lhasa
Namtso Lake
Yangbajing Hot Spring
Yamdrok-Tso Lake
Gyantse
Shigatse
Rongphu Monastery / Everest Base Camp (tibetan side)

The final itinerary, cost and entry/exit routes are not firm yet, pending replies from the tour agencies in China. Transport within Lhasa will definitely be on 4x4.

Was at Chengdu last week and looking around to plan for tibet trip probably next year.

In and around Chengdu, it cost 400-600RMB ($80-$120) to book a driver with car per day (to go places like Juizhaigou, Leshan, Ermei Shan, SiGuNiang Shan etc). If you have more people then cost per pax more worthwhile. If rent jeep from Chengdu to Lhasa, will be 800-1000RMB per day because of long journey and terrain. HEARD that if you book jeep from Lhasa will also be around 300-400RMB (because standard of living lower).

I had gotten 2 wonderful books on self-travel in tibet, one of them is a photographer's guideboook telling you where to go and what time and what angle to shoot the various places of interest on the various outskirt. Some people might not like the idea because you are shooting what others have already done so but I think it is a good start. If you want, I can lend you the books. PM me.

Originally I wanted to book jeep from Chengdu all the way to Lhasa, thinking that there are a lot of things to see along the way. However after looking through the books, I find that actually within Lhasa area for a 4-5 days trip there are actually a lot of things to take.

Saw one of the post in cs on a Singaporean in Chengdu dealing in travel. See http://www.gogosc.com/2006_house_en05.asp
It might be good idea to email him to ask for more info. You might want to try train to Lhasa, book jeep for few days self travel and fly back to any city.

Actually the best (in my humble opinion ) is to exit Lhasa via the Friendship highway down to Kathmandu (Nepal). U will pass tru' the Tibetan cultural heartland n esp Everest North face base camp before the plunge down to nepal. It's better than exiting back on the train to Xining. Nepal's a brilliant place where there's endless activities to do plus it's one of the most photoogenic places in the world.
I've been to Tibet 3 times n Nepal 7 times so PM me for travel tips.

Actually the best (in my humble opinion ) is to exit Lhasa via the Friendship highway down to Kathmandu (Nepal). U will pass tru' the Tibetan cultural heartland n esp Everest North face base camp before the plunge down to nepal. It's better than exiting back on the train to Xining. Nepal's a brilliant place where there's endless activities to do plus it's one of the most photoogenic places in the world.

How long will this trip takes.

Would it be better the other way round, as in enter Tibet via Friendship highway, so that you have more acclimitising opportunities; then exit Tibet either flight or train, although train would probably be more interesting.....

Would it be better the other way round, as in enter Tibet via Friendship highway, so that you have more acclimitising opportunities; then exit Tibet either flight or train, although train would probably be more interesting.....

second tat...
if one shot shoot up tibet somebody might not take the high attitude pressure......
heard some case of passenger died while sleeping on the train while on the way up to tibet :bigeyes: ......no wonder tibet is call "last heaven" also

Was at Chengdu last week and looking around to plan for tibet trip probably next year.

In and around Chengdu, it cost 400-600RMB ($80-$120) to book a driver with car per day (to go places like Juizhaigou, Leshan, Ermei Shan, SiGuNiang Shan etc). If you have more people then cost per pax more worthwhile. If rent jeep from Chengdu to Lhasa, will be 800-1000RMB per day because of long journey and terrain. HEARD that if you book jeep from Lhasa will also be around 300-400RMB (because standard of living lower).

I had gotten 2 wonderful books on self-travel in tibet, one of them is a photographer's guideboook telling you where to go and what time and what angle to shoot the various places of interest on the various outskirt. Some people might not like the idea because you are shooting what others have already done so but I think it is a good start. If you want, I can lend you the books. PM me.

Originally I wanted to book jeep from Chengdu all the way to Lhasa, thinking that there are a lot of things to see along the way. However after looking through the books, I find that actually within Lhasa area for a 4-5 days trip there are actually a lot of things to take.

Saw one of the post in cs on a Singaporean in Chengdu dealing in travel. See http://www.gogosc.com/2006_house_en05.asp
It might be good idea to email him to ask for more info. You might want to try train to Lhasa, book jeep for few days self travel and fly back to any city.

This is great, I myself also plan to go next year....hopefully

second tat...
if one shot shoot up tibet somebody might not take the high attitude pressure......
heard some case of passenger died while sleeping on the train while on the way up to tibet :bigeyes: ......no wonder tibet is call "last heaven" also

Yes, air is thin so u may grasp for oxygen. That is why shooting up on train can be risky for some. My sis pop in some pills & is ok. Her friend got no pills so she has to go for pure oxygen pump for half hour & a drip upon arrival.

Yes, air is thin so u may grasp for oxygen. That is why shooting up on train can be risky for some. My sis pop in some pills & is ok. Her friend got no pills so she has to go for pure oxygen pump for half hour & a drip upon arrival.

wat pill ur sis takin?iszit hong jin tian ?
but takin 4x4 jeep up also not cheap and take abt 12-14 days from cheng du
i actually tinkin takin a dosmetic flt to shangri (save 7 days of travel) and travel up from there :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.