Tibet...estimated expenses, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRiShnDaisy

Sep 19, 2003
Did a search and found out quite a no. of you have been to Tibet. Not sure if I've come across any threads that discussed the costs involved though. Can anyone give an idea of the costs of accommodation, land travel and food in Tibet?

Thanks!

Going on your own or tour grp? Area that you are going? Cost very much different

If I remember correctly, I went there exactly a year ago. It costed me about $1.7K with group tour. Met excellent travellers that we still communicate with each other. Best trip ever :lovegrin:

Amigo said:
If I remember correctly, I went there exactly a year ago. It costed me about $1.7K with group tour. Met excellent travellers that we still communicate with each other. Best trip ever :lovegrin:

Err... go backpack better, you experience more. ;)

scanner said:
Err... go backpack better, you experience more. ;)
I know, but first time went there without any experience, no choice. I don't mind to go again though. Really love the place, the sky was sooooo blue.

Will be self-directed definitely, not guided. Places included will most prob be Lhasa, Shigatse and Gyantse? If you can recommend some other places, it'll be most helpful!

I went there five times and I enjoy all of them. I divided the whole Tibet into five region: North, East, South, West and Central. The best place for photo is the West (base camp of the world highest Mount). Those place you mentioned will at most cost you five K if you go on 4x4 vehicle (3 weeks) or public bus three k (2 weeks). Bring warm clothes and lots lots of mem cards.

ANEWUSER said:
I went there five times and I enjoy all of them. I divided the whole Tibet into five region: North, East, South, West and Central. The best place for photo is the West (base camp of the world highest Mount). Those place you mentioned will at most cost you five K if you go on 4x4 vehicle (3 weeks) or public bus three k (2 weeks). Bring warm clothes and lots lots of mem cards.

5K? No kidding! :eek:

5k is just a bubget (Comfortable travelling). I have done once for under 3k for two weeks. But with that I stay in a no star chinese or tibetian style motel and pack in local buses. Much of the cost really goes into air fare so if you really want to save than got to rough it out.

ANEWUSER said:
5k is just a bubget (Comfortable travelling). I have done once for under 3k for two weeks. But with that I stay in a no star chinese or tibetian style motel and pack in local buses. Much of the cost really goes into air fare so if you really want to save than got to rough it out.

Erm...have got a quote for airfare...$540 inclusive taxes...
Haha...think we travelling at very diff levels here...

ANEWUSER said:

Correction! Most of the cost goes to the blood sucking local government and those so call tour agency, permits costs, etc...

ANEWUSER said:
The best place for photo is the West (base camp of the world highest Mount).

Thought it is located at the south west? Along the boarder of Nepal?
Another interesting one should be Ali (Changtang). The western end of Tibet, but need to apply plentiful of permits to travel there -> all money goes to the ... you know. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.