Tibet...estimated expenses, anyone?


Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2003
264
0
0
#1
Did a search and found out quite a no. of you have been to Tibet. Not sure if I've come across any threads that discussed the costs involved though. Can anyone give an idea of the costs of accommodation, land travel and food in Tibet?

Thanks!
 

ANEWUSER

New Member
Aug 6, 2004
57
0
0
#2
Going on your own or tour grp? Area that you are going? Cost very much different
 

Amigo

New Member
Nov 19, 2002
101
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#3
If I remember correctly, I went there exactly a year ago. It costed me about $1.7K with group tour. Met excellent travellers that we still communicate with each other. Best trip ever :lovegrin:
 

scanner

Senior Member
Jan 24, 2002
1,608
0
0
Visit site
#4
Amigo said:
If I remember correctly, I went there exactly a year ago. It costed me about $1.7K with group tour. Met excellent travellers that we still communicate with each other. Best trip ever :lovegrin:
Err... go backpack better, you experience more. ;)
 

Amigo

New Member
Nov 19, 2002
101
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#5
scanner said:
Err... go backpack better, you experience more. ;)
I know, but first time went there without any experience, no choice. I don't mind to go again though. Really love the place, the sky was sooooo blue.
 

Sep 19, 2003
264
0
0
#6
Will be self-directed definitely, not guided. Places included will most prob be Lhasa, Shigatse and Gyantse? If you can recommend some other places, it'll be most helpful!
 

ANEWUSER

New Member
Aug 6, 2004
57
0
0
#7
I went there five times and I enjoy all of them. I divided the whole Tibet into five region: North, East, South, West and Central. The best place for photo is the West (base camp of the world highest Mount). Those place you mentioned will at most cost you five K if you go on 4x4 vehicle (3 weeks) or public bus three k (2 weeks). Bring warm clothes and lots lots of mem cards.
 

Sep 19, 2003
264
0
0
#8
ANEWUSER said:
I went there five times and I enjoy all of them. I divided the whole Tibet into five region: North, East, South, West and Central. The best place for photo is the West (base camp of the world highest Mount). Those place you mentioned will at most cost you five K if you go on 4x4 vehicle (3 weeks) or public bus three k (2 weeks). Bring warm clothes and lots lots of mem cards.
5K? No kidding! :eek:
 

ANEWUSER

New Member
Aug 6, 2004
57
0
0
#9
5k is just a bubget (Comfortable travelling). I have done once for under 3k for two weeks. But with that I stay in a no star chinese or tibetian style motel and pack in local buses. Much of the cost really goes into air fare so if you really want to save than got to rough it out.
 

Sep 19, 2003
264
0
0
#10
ANEWUSER said:
5k is just a bubget (Comfortable travelling). I have done once for under 3k for two weeks. But with that I stay in a no star chinese or tibetian style motel and pack in local buses. Much of the cost really goes into air fare so if you really want to save than got to rough it out.
Erm...have got a quote for airfare...$540 inclusive taxes...
Haha...think we travelling at very diff levels here...
 

scanner

Senior Member
Jan 24, 2002
1,608
0
0
Visit site
#11
ANEWUSER said:
5k is just a bubget (Comfortable travelling). I have done once for under 3k for two weeks. But with that I stay in a no star chinese or tibetian style motel and pack in local buses. Much of the cost really goes into air fare so if you really want to save than got to rough it out.
Correction! Most of the cost goes to the blood sucking local government and those so call tour agency, permits costs, etc...
 

scanner

Senior Member
Jan 24, 2002
1,608
0
0
Visit site
#12
ANEWUSER said:
The best place for photo is the West (base camp of the world highest Mount).
Thought it is located at the south west? Along the boarder of Nepal?
Another interesting one should be Ali (Changtang). The western end of Tibet, but need to apply plentiful of permits to travel there -> all money goes to the ... you know. ;)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom