Tibet-EBC trip - how to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

okl

Nov 12, 2004
Singapore
Hi guys,

Planning to Tibet around sept-oct, with 2 of my friends.

Itinerary: http://www.gogosc.com/enly_everesttour.asp

This is the quotation of this 9days trip :
(1): The English speaking guide : 120X8days=960RMB
(2):The room charge :150X8days=1200RMB
(3):Meals: 80X8days=640RMB
(4):Entrance ticket: 740RMB/pp
(5):Hiring a car and dirver: 2500RMB/pp
(6):The tibet entry permit and tour permit :450RMB/pp
The total price is :6490RMB/pp

You also need to pay for the single room chaege if you are 3 or 5 five , because of we will book the twin room for you , if you are 3 then we need to book 2 rooms for you . it's 1200RMB

As above is the quotation i get from the Sim's Cozy Travel agency. That is around S$1277.
excluding airfare to Lhasa and back to Chengdu.

May i ask is the price reasonable or any other recommendations pls?

Thanks!

y u need a guide? u cant speak mandarin? or non of ur friend cant speak mandarin?

too bad u only have 9days... we will be going for around 22days in sept to the west of Lhasa, Ngari region. we going to rent the vehicle and a driver on our own. currently we got around 6-7pax. :)

according to the travel restriction in tibet , you need a guide to bring you around.

i been to Tibet last yr via route 318, never bring any guide tho. actually the driver can be double up as a guide, so save up alot of money, and an extra car seat place!

thats a good idea, Thanks! I'm thinking is it cheaper to entry from Nepal KMT , overland to Lhasa and then fly back to chengdu->singapore ? Know any good travel agency in nepal ?

Technically you need a TTP to travel to Tibet. The TTP can only be obtained from Chengdu or Beijing. The TTB only allows you to get to Lhasa and travel around Lhasa. To get to other parts of Tibet, a foreigner will need to get an Alien Permit for that region from the regional Public Security Bureau (PSB) ie Police. The TTB is probaly the only reason you want to engage a travel agent apart from time restrictions.
In practice not many foreigners bother with the TTB anymore and they rarely check anyway. However Alien Permit is stricter as there are roadblock checks all over Tibet. So personally I would encouraged foreigner to get one.
In Tibet if the PSB discovered that a foreigner do not have a TTB, the foreigner will be turn back to where they came from- the PSB will see you on the bus or any other vehicle, leaving the city/town. So in practice if you do not have n Alien Permit and is caught, just tell them you came from Lhasa.
If you want to go to Tibet with a travel agent from S'pore and you want to be guided and have everythng arranged incl travelling in a 4WD, better to do so from Chengdu- many travel agents cater to foreigners. Otherwise check this site or ask in the forum for contacts in Lhasa etc:
http://www.doyouhike.net/forum/
Hope this helps.

block306, considering do so from Chengdu's travel agency. But local agent tour package is cheaper. Went to SA Tour held at sunect today, total cost ard $2.0k. Chengdu's Sim's Cozy Travel quoted me $1277+$350+(1 way airfare to lhasa).

$1277+$700+$800(thai airways) = $2.7+

Know any other chengdu's agency that i can contact ?

Alternative : Singapore-> Chengdu -> flight to Lhasa-overland-Kathmandu ->Singapore ?

u can try to check out this site, www.pangolin4x4.net, this is the agency we used for the last 2yrs when travelling in SiChuan and overland to Tibet, Lhasa.

if u wanna everything to be arranged properly, then u better get it done in sg. but pls remember, the area u going, u cant follow the itinery strictly, it might change due to alot of reasons, eg, weather, landslide, road repair, riot, etc... so be prepare it is not something like u joining a tour group to Beijing.

actually u can fly to Chengdu, then fly into Lhasa, arrange the tour in Lhasa, there are plentiful agency there. then from Lhasa ride out to Chengdu. either fly in, car out or vice versa.

agreed u dun need a english speaking guide to go
just go chengdu find a driver, talk price, esp theroute u wan to go as think there is north and south route from chengdy
north spilt into mini-north and big-north route
big north route highest cost but is the best best route by all backpacker
small north route is nice scenary but driver hate it the most
south route is the standard driver route

chengdu to lasa normal cost 4000-5000 rmb per pax
but if lasa back chengdu will cost abt 4000-5000 rmb per ride
see the different?

This is what i did for my previouse trip to tibet (twice) :)

fly to chengdu, then fly to xining. then from there. take train to lhasa.
yes, by regulation, you will need TTP, but i feel that's relally useless.... i got TTP for my 1st trip, and when i touched down lhsa, passed it to a travel agency. then that's it... my TTP money gone.

*if you want to fly to lhasa, yes, you have to obtained an TTP before u book for the air-tic.
* take train..... u can save the TTP money, and also experience the greatest train .......

then when u reached lhasa, dun go for 4-5 star hotel. get urself a 3 start (in lhasa, oversea traveller HAVE tro stay in at least 3 star). (alots ppl do not know this).
u can get a decent twin sharing room by RMB 110-160 per night.
ad for food wise. u dun need to pay like SGD20 per day.

go to their local restaurantk, grab some local food. it cost u about 10 bucks per day for 3 ok meal.
believe me... get urself local food... what for u go tibet but eat western food? or KFC? :p (it's up to personal actually).

then from there, get urself a day tour.... it cost u about 300-500.. depend on the artinery.

ping me if u need more infor.

Actually why not overland from Nepal to Lhasa via friendship highway then fly back to Kathmandu.

Flying from Chengdu to Lhasa very siong, will get mild AMS, then you will be blur for the first 2 days.

Some of the interesting place is not located in Lhasa. Overland will allow you visit those place.

Prices wise i don't know, my trip is 9 years ago.

I'm planning mine on early Sept, maybe wana join together?

y u need a guide? u cant speak mandarin? or non of ur friend cant speak mandarin?

too bad u only have 9days... we will be going for around 22days in sept to the west of Lhasa, Ngari region. we going to rent the vehicle and a driver on our own. currently we got around 6-7pax. :)

it is a law there.

Status
Not open for further replies.