Tianya in dry cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerOyster

May 11, 2008
my dry cabinet is running out of space. would like to check:

1) is it necessary to keep tianya filters in dry cabinet?
2) if you have to choose either tianya or external flash, which one goes in?

thanks

filters.

Filters don't have to be in the dry cabinet.

Flash units don't really have to be in the dry cabinet either. I don't see a need for it, but I may be wrong.

Filters don't have to be in the dry cabinet.

Flash units don't really have to be in the dry cabinet either. I don't see a need for it, but I may be wrong.

filters shd ideally be in the dry cabinet, for the same reasons that lenses shd be in the dry cabinet. i believe fungus would affect filters as they affect lenses, no? then again, filters can be easily cleaned at the first sign of a speck of trouble.

for flash, if a fungus somehow grows in the flash, it'd have to be super fungus, like mushrooms or sth, to the extent that it blocks the flash output. unlikely... besides, using the flash now and then shd discourage stuff from growing on the flash bulbs n such.

my head tells me filters, my heart tells me flash ($$$)

maybe its time to upgrade the cabinet or alternative a dry box with gel for the filters.

rdgs

my head tells me filters, my heart tells me flash ($$$)

when dealing with inanimate objects, use head. (unless BBB :angel:)

when dealing with pple, only then use ur heart

IMHO, BBB is virus so it's independent of both ;p :bsmilie:

Between filter and flash, choose filter. If no space, filter take out also nevermind.

THe key thing about fungus is not so much its growth, but the inability to clean. Filters consist of a single layer of glass (save for polarizers) such that when you see there's fungus, you can easily clean it. ANd you can usually spot it before it grows so deep that it etches into the surface irrevocably.

FOr lenses, fungus grows in between lens elements and is out of reach to clean without disassembly, hence lenses are first priority

Between filter and flash, choose filter. If no space, filter take out also nevermind.

THe key thing about fungus is not so much its growth, but the inability to clean. Filters consist of a single layer of glass (save for polarizers) such that when you see there's fungus, you can easily clean it. ANd you can usually spot it before it grows so deep that it etches into the surface irrevocably.

FOr lenses, fungus grows in between lens elements and is out of reach to clean without disassembly, hence lenses are first priority

actually i do keep my other filters in the cab other than the lower cost chunky Tianyas which doesn't help when it usually comes in a set.

Hmm... Even if fungus grows on the filter, you can just simply wipe it off right? And how often do you see that happening? A filter is just a simple piece of glass/plastic isn't it? I'm not sure if there is any coatings applied on a TianYa filter, although I am betting "no".

So just like everything else glass/plastic, such as your LCD screen, why can't you just leave it out in the open?

Hmm... Even if fungus grows on the filter, you can just simply wipe it off right? And how often do you see that happening? A filter is just a simple piece of glass/plastic isn't it? I'm not sure if there is any coatings applied on a TianYa filter, although I am betting "no".

So just like everything else glass/plastic, such as your LCD screen, why can't you just leave it out in the open?

that's the reason why this thread was started, coz i wasn't sure.

Well, my Tianya filters are still doing fine after more than 1 year out of the drybox.

Well, my Tianya filters are still doing fine after more than 1 year out of the drybox.

maybe u got lucky, or simply because u use it often enuff for the UV to kill the fungus.

filters should be able to be kept in a tupperware with silica gel. none of that overly low humidity worries (i.e., dry cabi humidity too low, rubber parts will deteriorate). filters have no lubricants or rubber bits to worry about :)

Status
Not open for further replies.