Thru Endurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke70prak

Nov 25, 2008
Woodlands
Hi All,
I would like feedback(s) on the composition.
I have composed the picture this way because I want to show the strong standing of the Bakau Tree in this picture amidst the strong waves and weather.

I would like feedback on photography techniques.
The following is the camera settings used to photograph this picture:
Focul length - 120mm
1/25s
f/5.6
ISO200
Exposure Mode - Manual

I would like feedback on post processing techniques.
I have done levels and curves in post processing because I want to show the main subject and the surrounding activities not forgetting the waves that coming in.

Picture001.JPG

Hope to get honest comment and observation from all experts here.

Cheers
Ke70prak
Noobs
www.hulubalang.com
www.zietagalleria.multiply.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if your subject is the tree,
you need to get closer or extract all the distracting elements around the tree.

if your subject is the beach scene, the tree right smack at the center and spoil everything.

Im not expert on photography but as a viewer, what i can say was it does not bring up the name of the title posted.

First
1) The lonely tree is in the middle of the frame and its cover with lots of background subject
2) even without any leaves, the background trees cross lap over it. making it messy.
3) You are placing the subject in the middle of the frame and the sky : water ratio is 50:50 not a very good compose

Suggestion:
1) try moving closer to the subject.
2) compose subject to a place where it able to give an "isolation" feeling
3) choose which level u want to show more : water or the sky.

That my suggestion ... :p

I don't know how your composition highlights the tree.
I don't know what you mean by "I have done levels and curves in post processing because I want to show the main subject and the surrounding activities not forgetting the waves that coming in." Even without PP, you still would have shown the tree and the surrounding activities and the waves.
You also said you wante "to show the strong standing of the Bakau Tree in this picture amidst the strong waves and weather." If it's weather you're talking about, won't those trees at the back in such close proximity with the Bakau show that they are stronger?

The whole scene is way too cluttered.
Your subject probably takes up only 10% of the frame's area.

Errr... What's enduring? The tree? The rocks? The water? The tents?

hi! what's the focal point of this photo? the title is not embodied in here and it's kind of cluttered. i didn't know where to look. yeah, that's something to think about. lol.

something wrong with this picture.
I agree with the rest.
No subject.
Background is messy.

It looks like just any picture shot randomly.

My 2 cents

IMHO, the tree is too far away, also surround by other subject, thus making the tree 'not standing out'...

For me and MHO, The subject is clearly the deck. The Rock and the Tree serves as strong anchors that lead the eye to the deck. The walk way also leads the eye to the deck. The deck is in or near the 1/3-rule's sweet spot (where the subject should be). Aside from the deck and walk not receiving Adequate isolation, It is a slick composition.

You need to do some selective burn/dodge processing to make the deck and walk stand out more by giving them more light than the remainder of the image.

I would like feedback on photography techniques.
The following is the camera settings used to photograph this picture:
Focul length - 120mm
1/25s
f/5.6
ISO200
Exposure Mode - Manual

I would like feedback on post processing techniques.
I have done levels and curves in post processing because I want to show the main subject and the surrounding activities not forgetting the waves that coming in.

Select the deck to individually sharpen and encrease its exposure. Increase the exposure of the walkway. Do this, and I think it will be an improvement.

Some tastes would be in favor of a sharper, better-focused background. And some tastes would prefer the soft out-of-focus background. Adhearing to either of these two choices might not necessarily be an improvement--only resulting in two different acceptable images.

Last edited:
For me and MHO, The subject is clearly the deck. The Rock and the Tree serves as strong anchors that lead the eye to the deck. The walk way also leads the eye to the deck. The deck is in or near the 1/3-rule's sweet spot (where the subject should be). Aside from the deck and walk not receiving Adequate isolation, It is a slick composition.

You need to do some selective burn/dodge processing to make the deck and walk stand out more by giving them more light than the remainder of the image.

Select the deck to individually sharpen and encrease its exposure. Increase the exposure of the walkway. Do this, and I think it will be an improvement.

Some tastes would be in favor of a sharper, better-focused background. And some tastes would prefer the soft out-of-focus background. Adhearing to either of these two choices might not necessarily be an improvement--only resulting in two different acceptable images.

Thanks Bro for the advice and suggestions. Will try to improve with this shots.

Cheers

the lone rock in the foreground, if you crop the bottom away (untill u dont c the rock), it may help to improve this shot, just to add on to what others had already mentioned.

as it is now, there are toooo manyyy layers u have starting from foreground,
1) water
2) lone rock
3) water
4) rock + shelter + lone tree
5) water
6) beach + lots of things
7) water
8) far away land.

also, there seems to be afew botak trees on the beach.

i suggest u issolate the lone botak tree and some rock and the shelter (if u want to include that) by moving to ur right and zoom in more. exclude the beach and the lone rock if possible.

Last edited:
my comment would be, to change the shoot to a vertical shoot.
Then you can have a more balance composition of sky and sea with the tree in the middle with the side objects out of the view.

Would this be better??

Picture001a.JPG

Desperate to learn, pls tell me.:dunno:

Cheers
ke70prak
www.enthrallwedding.com

this is better than the original image, but

1) may i know why have u include the small portion of the hut? there should be a purpose for u to include it right?

2) u may want ot try crop away the hut.

i think he probably didn't crop it well enough, and some parts of the hut was left because if he cropped it too much he would go against the rule of third? ... but its already kinda too centralised anyway ....

the background is probably too distracting, and it's hard for a 'botak' tree to stand out. because if you look at it you can 'see through' the braches to the messy background, with all the green leaves etc.

i did notice the tree in the original image. but too many interesting things besides the tree.

don't see how the tree looks enduring. it's totally dead (to my untrained eye) :think:

To me, it seems like there is no way to improve this shot. A rojak make/mix up with the wrong ingredient. Take note of all the crit and improve on future shoot. The next picture should be better than this if points are being noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.