Throwing out the color option

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
.....Anyone ever tried slapping on a Yellow k2 filter on the lens.... yes the images are now all yellow but its got potential

Dont comment on the compositions .... just something I thought I will live with (yellow filter) for the next month or so..... no matter what.

1. because there's no turning back (unless you can live with images with a yellow tint LOL! No more straddling the color / BW boats, no more fence-sitting between color/BW
2. shooting in digital but now forced to think in terms of BW better having dropped that color ironball

In Color
color.jpg

Bye bye bright Colors !!! (Yellow k2 filter attached)

yellow9.jpg

From Yellow to BW
yellow_bw.jpg

Last edited:
Yellow, Green, Red.. all are options for the BnW... it emphasises one tone over the others...

Why not just shoot in B&W with a Yellow color filter added as a creative style in-camera? Saves a lot of processing time.

the reason doing so, is to VISUALIZE how the final b&w image will turn out, so photographer able to change the composition, modify lighting or do whatever thing before clicking the shutter release.

Why not just shoot in B&W with a Yellow color filter added as a creative style in-camera? Saves a lot of processing time.

shooting with in-camera BW mode leaves one with less 'data' to work with..... this way, I will hopefully have more on hand to work with in Channel Mixer whilst sacrificing the 'color' option

LOL ! not for 'I-want-all-my-Options' types

Will add on to this thread later

And will start with the yellow first, then try Reds and others later.... want to see what yellow will yeild first.

Check out the red Heart magnet and compare..... also seems to bring out a little of the slight shadows on the LCD screen

All this is VERY preliminary ..... might lead nowhere..... but good to experiment.

Last edited:

In-camera monochrome presets are generally quite dodgy and lacking in contrast.

In-camera monochrome presets are generally quite dodgy and lacking in contrast.

Not true. Mine are quite nice. Helps to have heaps of DR in your sensor too. ;)

Of course, you could set that as a preset and still shoot RAW, so that you can keep the pre-set processing options, or continue to tweak in RAW if you want.

Not true. Mine are quite nice. Helps to have heaps of DR in your sensor too. ;)

Of course, you could set that as a preset and still shoot RAW, so that you can keep the pre-set processing options, or continue to tweak in RAW if you want.

It's not the DR as much as it is how the different points of exposure present themselves. Conversion brings out an image much closer to what a monochrome film image would look like. Check this site out. :)

I got a chance to stretch the rig's legs a little today

The sky would normally be overexposed but the k2 brought out the clouds nicely

yellow11.jpg

Which made it (IMHO) SO much easier to tweak in Channel Mixer ... brought out some of the details within the shadows too
yellowbw.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.