Thrid Party GPS Receivers for Nikon DSLRs

avsquare

Jan 26, 2012
Hi guys, for those who does a bit of geo tagging to their photos, I was wondering, apart from the Nikon's GP-1, does anyone of you use third party solutions?

Personally I don't really like the GP-1 due to the wire itself, it's kind of "din teh" (in hokkien, means very "extra") to me. I'm looking for something like the Canon's GP-E1 that is mounted on the side of the cam (accessory slots), and it writes the data directly into the EXIF.

I think the closest I found online was from Aokatec: Aokatec - Products

Is there any other recommendations for wireless GPS receivers that can write EXIF directly? Best even if you know if SG has them (but I doubt so :bsmilie:)

Hi guys, for those who does a bit of geo tagging to their photos, I was wondering, apart from the Nikon's GP-1, does anyone of you use third party solutions?

Personally I don't really like the GP-1 due to the wire itself, it's kind of "din teh" (in hokkien, means very "extra") to me. I'm looking for something like the Canon's GP-E1 that is mounted on the side of the cam (accessory slots), and it writes the data directly into the EXIF.

I think the closest I found online was from Aokatec: Aokatec - Products

Is there any other recommendations for wireless GPS receivers that can write EXIF directly? Best even if you know if SG has them (but I doubt so :bsmilie:)

I tried a few to test, in the end settled for this. There are threads elsewhere you can search. The others had the wires that come loose. Writes directly to EXIF. This is not wireless and the receiver is built in.

http://www.dawntech.hk/di-GPS/pro_l_1.htm

I am using the Dawntech for my D90 and now use the Aokatec for my D600.

The Aokatec is smaller and fits directly to the GPS port instead of using an additional wire, anyway the Dawntech is now much more expensive compared to the Aokatec.

Nikon should have included a builtin GPS instead of the current hassle of an add on GPS module.

2012 Aokatec GPS Receiver AK-G2 for Nikon D600 « xtemujin 360°Resources, Singapore

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Build in GPS seems like a deal but not sure if Nikon would raise prices if all of their DSLRs come with GPS. I think they would gladly sell GPS separately and charge a premium on it which is the case of GP-1 :bsmilie:

Never happen to find Dawntech during my google searches but since it's wired, I'm still leaning towards Aokatec which is direct plug in. I think it's about time Nikon refresh the GP-1...

Bro - xtemujin where did you order your Aokatec? Direct from their website or through Amazon sellers? What's the lead time? Thanks. :)

I bought the Aokatec from the ebay seller as it was cheaper then the official Aokatec website at that time, delivery was about 2 weeks IIRC.

Singapore distributor for the Aokatec.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/sgcamerastore/1192227-aokatec-gps-d800-d700-d300-d600-all-stock.html

Thanks for the info and especially the info that SGcam sells it. Called up the shop, no stock but probably new stock arrival after CNY, they are charging $99.

I think I'll buy from there since lead time is about the same and I've the convenience of buying form a local store. :)

The problem with the Aokatec is that it is simply plugged into the socket loosely and can fall off during use especially when you are moving around and the camera strap can accidentally knock it off the socket. Mine fell off many times until it was eventually lost. I wish they included a locking ring in the design. I would pay $10 more even though the additional cost is probably <$1. :(

Perhaps can use some 3M velcro tape to help secure it.

I use the Aokatec and it comes with a small string to tie it to the camera strap. In the event when it drop off the socket, the GPS will not be lost. What I do not like about the Aokatec is that the GPS lock on is a bit slow.

As far as l can tell after using the Dawntech and Aokatec GPS, during cold startup, l'm not noticing any slow lock on.

For those who used the wired ones, do you guys feel that the wire is very "extra"/hindrance?

No issues at all. You can also consider Solmeta. Their wires used to be detachable and it was a pain. I have since fedback and they acknowledged and actually improved on the design. That was some time back, and their offerings seem to be new generations also. They even have the MTK chip in at least one device.

Solmeta Technology Ltd.|Nikon GPS,Photo GPS,camera GPS,Geotagging,Geotagger

For those who used the wired ones, do you guys feel that the wire is very "extra"/hindrance?

Last edited:
No issues at all. You can also consider Solmeta. Their wires used to be detachable and it was a pain. I have since fedback and they acknowledged and actually improved on the design. That was some time back, and their offerings seem to be new generations also. They even have the MTK chip in at least one device.

Thanks for the share :)

Just a little thought, bodies without the 10-pin socket does give a little problem. I can't use timer remote shutter and GPS at the same time :bsmilie:

Finally got myself a Aokatech GPS from SGcamerastore :)

Just wondering, is it especially long for these GPS units to lock on signal? Took it bloody long, even my smartphone locks on the GPS way faster lol :bsmilie:

Finally got myself a Aokatech GPS from SGcamerastore :)

Just wondering, is it especially long for these GPS units to lock on signal? Took it bloody long, even my smartphone locks on the GPS way faster lol :bsmilie:

First time lock can take minutes if not used after a long time.

Just got myself a cheap and good Micnova GPS for my Coolpix A.
Very small and more solidly built than the Aokatech one. The advantage over the Aokatech GPS is that the cable is detachable and switchable to one that would fit the 2 types of sockets of the Nikon DSLRs. Good for those who have both the D800 and D600 or Coolpix A types of Nikon DSLRs as one set of the Micnova GPS could be use for both cameras. Also for the same price as the Aokatech GPS, it comes bundled with a wired remote control that could be plugged into the socket on the Micnova GPS to trigger the camera shutter release.

Any idea where to get Solmeta GPS in Singapore?

I prefer the Dawntech, using the Pro L. BTW, the Aokatec has a screw now to hold the device in place.

AK-G1%20&%20AK-G1s.JPG

Last edited: